[movie] Warcraft: The Begining

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

[movie] Warcraft: The Begining

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:07 pm

The Warcraft Trailer Tease went online on the 3rd of November and has had over 7 million hits:

The full trailer is due today (Friday) and the countdown has finished, but it has not been put online yet. According to the Legendary page on Facebook it goes up in just over under hour.

EDIT: It should have gone up 8 minutes ago.

EDIT2: The official trailer for Warcraft: The Beginning is up:

Is anyone planning to go and see Warcraft: The Beginning?

Do you know where it fits into the World of Warcraft timeline? Here is the blurb from their website:
Warcraft: The Beginning wrote:Story

From Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures comes Warcraft, an epic adventure of world-colliding conflict based on Blizzard Entertainment’s global phenomenon.

The peaceful realm of azeroth stands on the brink of war as its civilization faces a fearsome race of invaders: orc warriors fleeing their dying home to colonize another. As a portal opens to connect the two worlds, one army faces destruction and the other faces extinction. From opposing sides, two heroes are set on a collision course that will decide the fate of their family, their people and their home.

So begins a spectacular saga of power and sacrifice in which war has many faces, and everyone fights for something.

Directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code) and written by Charles Leavitt and Jones, the film starring Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, Toby Kebbell, Ben Schnetzer, Rob Kazinsky and Daniel Wu is a Legendary Pictures, Blizzard Entertainment and Atlas Entertainment production.

The producers are Charles Roven, Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni, Alex Gartner and Stuart Fenegan. Jillian Share, Brent O’Connor, Michael Morhaime and Paul Sams serve as executive producers. Rob Pardo, Chris Metzen, Nick Carpenter and Rebecca Steel Roven co-produce. Warcraft will be released by Universal Pictures.

Do you think there will be any books, or other products coming out with the movie, that might be usable in tabletop games set in the World of Warcraft campaign setting?
Last edited by Big Mac on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [movie] Warcraft: The Begining

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 pm

OMG!

As we know, movies based on computer games don't really tend to be that good. Could this be the first computer game based movie that doesn't suck? :shock: :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Hugin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 pm

Cool. Appears very Lord of the Rings like, visually. That's the extent of my knowledge about the movie. :oops:
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby night_druid » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:52 pm

I'll watch it tomorrow, once the servers come back up. With things like this, the servers are going to crash right when the trailer launches due to traffic. I fully expect it to crash shortly...;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:53 pm

night_druid wrote:I'll watch it tomorrow, once the servers come back up. With things like this, the servers are going to crash right when the trailer launches due to traffic. I fully expect it to crash shortly...;)

It is going to be on YouTube.

Hopefully their servers can cope! :P
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Big Mac wrote:Do you know where it fits into the World of Warcraft timeline?

From the title alone, I would assume its set in the timeframe of the first game, when the Dark Portal was first opened and orcs invaded Azeroth.

I do have to call BS on this trailer...NO WAY Stormwind is THAT big! Heck, it takes just a couple of minutes to run from Stormwind to the Dark Portal, less by flying mount. What kinda server to they get that has that much space?
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:03 pm

Nothing has happened yet, apart from the website now thinks my laptop is a mobile phone. :-P
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Hugin wrote:Cool. Appears very Lord of the Rings like, visually. That's the extent of my knowledge about the movie. :oops:

Although the trailer seems to focus on the humans, I have seen some speculation that as with the game(s), Orcs will not necessarily be the bad guys and humans not necessarily be the good guys. If that is true, that will make this movie different from the typical good vs evil stories found in most fantasy movies and novels. Of course, that story is more difficult to pull off, so we will see how it goes :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:34 pm

Nice!

Seems to confirm some of my theories about the movie at least. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby night_druid » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:07 pm

You know, its a real shame that Uwe Boll couldn't land the Warcraft movie. He REALLY wanted to work on that project. Damned shame it is...;)
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:11 pm

night_druid wrote:You know, its a real shame that Uwe Boll couldn't land the Warcraft movie. He REALLY wanted to work on that project. Damned shame it is...;)

Not as badly as he wanted to do the very important movie Rampage 3, right? :lol: :facepalm:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby night_druid » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Here's a really good breakdown of the trailer. Warning, LOTS of Spoilers.

Trailer breakdown

He did misidentify a few places. At the 2:45 mark, that looks like the Oculus, so my guess is that particular place was modeled after, or is in fact, in the Oculus. 3:20 is clearly Lakeshire. 8:10 is Stonewatch Keep in the Redridge Mountains.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Hugin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:37 pm

Havard wrote:
Hugin wrote:Cool. Appears very Lord of the Rings like, visually. That's the extent of my knowledge about the movie. :oops:

Although the trailer seems to focus on the humans, I have seen some speculation that as with the game(s), Orcs will not necessarily be the bad guys and humans not necessarily be the good guys. If that is true, that will make this movie different from the typical good vs evil stories found in most fantasy movies and novels. Of course, that story is more difficult to pull off, so we will see how it goes :)

-Havard

Ya, story-wise it appears to be quite different, but I was just talking about the visual style; that's quite LotRs in looks. I consider that to be a good thing.

The story seems to be about enemies uniting against a common enemy. It has gained my interest and can't say I was looking forward to the movie at all.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:37 pm

I've got a side-topic in the World of Warcraft forum, called: Can we work out any factoids from the movie trailer?

What I am wondering is if anything from the trailer can be used in Warcraft tabletop games.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:15 pm

I have now seen this, so don't have to hide from spoilers any more, but I think it would be good to put things in spoiler tags, to avoid spoiling it for people who are going to go to the movie.

From one level, Warcraft: The Begining did pretty much feel like a two hour preview, for the World of Warcraft MMO.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Tabard Inn