[novel] Tales of Peril

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

[novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:37 pm

RobJN wrote about listening to extracts of Tales of Peril at NTRPG Con in a topic about the convention:
RobJN wrote:I sat in on the J. Eric Holmes panel, where his son, Chris, fielded questions and then read an excerpt from the forthcoming Tales of Peril compilation of the good professor’s D&D fiction. This is one I think I might have to get — it was dripping with good ol’ dungeon-crawling atmosphere.

I know very little of Holmes, as I started playing D&D before my time, but the idea that there is a bunch of short stories set (possibly) in his campaign setting, is interesting.

I went looking for it, but I've not turned anything up yet, although The Arcaeum said it was going to be published last year. Obviously, there has been a delay, as RobJN was told it was a "forthcoming" book, but I don't see anything like a preorder page on Amazon.

Does anyone know where/when this is going on sale? Is it something on Kickstarter (for example)?

Is there a bespoke campaign setting in Holmes D&D (that is different from Mystara and the OD&D settings of Blackmoor and Greyhawk)? If so do we have any evidence that these stories are set in that setting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:38 pm

I wonder if anyone from the Blueholme community could answer your questions. Do you know if any of them frequent The Piazza?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:07 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I wonder if anyone from the Blueholme community could answer your questions. Do you know if any of them frequent The Piazza?

The author of Blueholme posted a topic about it at The Piazza back in 2012 (before we had an OD&D forum). We also have a few OD&D experts. But OD&D does get less love here than I would expect. (I'm not sure why. But then there are some campaign settings that surprisingly don't get discussed much here too. I guess it is just one of those things, where a few vocal people can really help push a smaller subcommunity forward.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:RobJN wrote about listening to extracts of Tales of Peril at NTRPG Con in a topic about the convention:
RobJN wrote:I sat in on the J. Eric Holmes panel, where his son, Chris, fielded questions and then read an excerpt from the forthcoming Tales of Peril compilation of the good professor’s D&D fiction. This is one I think I might have to get — it was dripping with good ol’ dungeon-crawling atmosphere.

I know very little of Holmes, as I started playing D&D before my time, but the idea that there is a bunch of short stories set (possibly) in his campaign setting, is interesting.

I went looking for it, but I've not turned anything up yet, although The Arcaeum said it was going to be published last year. Obviously, there has been a delay, as RobJN was told it was a "forthcoming" book, but I don't see anything like a preorder page on Amazon.

Does anyone know where/when this is going on sale? Is it something on Kickstarter (for example)?

Is there a bespoke campaign setting in Holmes D&D (that is different from Mystara and the OD&D settings of Blackmoor and Greyhawk)? If so do we have any evidence that these stories are set in that setting?

The Zenopus archive has a J. Eric Holmes bibliography posted at Dragonsfoot, and it looks like it covers everything that was listed in the handout that was passed out at the reading. I'd highly recommend listening to the Save or Die! episode where they have a chat with Chris Holmes.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:32 am

RobJN wrote:
Big Mac wrote:RobJN wrote about listening to extracts of Tales of Peril at NTRPG Con in a topic about the convention:

The Zenopus archive has a J. Eric Holmes bibliography posted at Dragonsfoot, and it looks like it covers everything that was listed in the handout that was passed out at the reading. I'd highly recommend listening to the Save or Die! episode where they have a chat with Chris Holmes.

Thanks. The Dragonsfoot page says that the fiction is set in the "Dungeons & Dragons" setting, but what is the Dungeons & Dragons setting?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:49 am

The Eric Holmes D&D set introduced the city of Portown and the neighboring dungeon of Zenopus. In this thread, TraverseTravis suggests that it's in the same region as the town of Caladan from Maze of Peril. This Dragonsfoot review compares the settings of the Holmes set and the novel.

The "Sample Dungeon" (aka "The Dungeon of Zenopus") and Maze of Peril both feature the following: the main characters meeting in the Green Dragon (a familiar name from Tolkien; also used by Gygax in Greyhawk City); a dungeon with an underwater body of water connected to the sea, lit by glowing rocks (stated to be due to phosphorescent fungus in the Sample Dungeon) and including a giant crab hidden on a beach; and an evil thaumaturgist who lives in a tower in town and owns a magic wand.

Despite these similarities, the setting explored by Zereth and Boinger is clearly not identical to the Sample Dungeon. In Maze of Peril, the town is Caladan and is day’s ride from the sea (pg 76), whereas in the Sample Dungeon the town is Portown on the sea. Furthermore, each evil thaumaturgist has a different magic wand. Interestingly, although the thaumaturgist in Maze of Peril does not have wand of petrification, the story contains a significant plot element that revolves around petrification (involving a cockatrice).

On the Piazza, religion has placed Portown in Karameikos, Mystara in this thread, among others. Havard has mentioned placing Portown in the Blackmoor era.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby RobJN » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:54 am

Big Mac wrote:Thanks. The Dragonsfoot page says that the fiction is set in the "Dungeons & Dragons" setting, but what is the Dungeons & Dragons setting?

I want to say that it was specific to the professor for the home campaign he ran with his son (who played Boinger and Xereth. Pictures of scans of their character sheets were included in the handout), but not having had the pleasure of reading any of it, can't say with certainty if that is the case or not.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Vile » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:54 am

Tim Baker wrote:I wonder if anyone from the BLUEHOLME™ community could answer your questions. Do you know if any of them frequent The Piazza?

Woohoo! I'm a community! (sorry, Tim, I had to edit your quote for the correct writing of BLUEHOLME™) :P :cool: :lol:

From what was said at the North Texas RPG Con "Holmes Panel" and in the forum threads relating to it, it sounds like it's still in progress but hopefully not too far off from its launch. I for one hope that there will be an Epub version, because on the train, on my phone, is the only way I get time to read novels these days. To be honest, I've been doing that with some of Holmes's stories already, because I typed them up as text and loaded them onto my phone! ;)

RE: the campaign world, the stories do feature recurring characters so I guess you could say there was a 'Holmes campaign world', but it would have been for his own games and not related to Portown or anything else in the published Blue Book. In The Maze of Peril Boinger and Co. are based in a town called Caladan, but the stories take place in various pulp-like settings such as 'Arabian-nights-meet-Dune' deserts, at sea, and so forth. I get the impression that adventure settings were created as needed, not built into a coherent world map or gazetteer.

Of course, if you really want to know from those who were there, go ask Boinger himself, a.k.a. Chris Holmes: http://www.holmeswest.com/ :mrgreen:
Vile
Bugbear

Postby grodog » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Here's what I posted over on G+ @ https://plus.google.com/u/0/11357949325 ... jyP?cfem=1 in response to a similar Q:

Ron and David are both correct: we intentionally slowed down the release for NTX last year, but then Juniper laid me off from my day job the week after returning from NTX in June 2015. After I found work again (which took six months), I decided that I needed to re-edit Maze of Peril (which was definitely worth it), and we received some new information that needed to be integrated into the book (recollections from Murray's player, including his PC sheets). So, we tried hard to have the book for NTX this year, but we're committed to a high-quality product, and decided not to rush it once more.

That said, our printer did get the signature sheets for the first, limited edition send to us at NTX; the first 200-ish will be numbered and signed by Chris Holmes, +Zach H, and me.

And we shared a handout at NTX that shows the original Boinger, Zereth, and Murray PC sheets (Boinger's is a modern recreation), and it also included some pics of JEH and Chris Holmes, as well as an extract from +Zach H's annotated bibliography essay. I'll get that posted over the weekend, along with the slide show that we weren't able to share at the reading (no cord to connect the projector to the laptop, alas).

That help?
grodog
Orc

Postby Zenopus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:10 am

I'm here too if I can answer any Holmes questions for anyone.

I'd say there's no single definitive "Holmes campaign setting". Instead we have glimpses of campaign settings, which may or may not be the same in all details:

A. The campaign setting Holmes used for his Boinger/Zereth/Murray games prior to editing the Basic Set. Best glimpsed in the A&E stories (really, write-ups of game sessions), published prior to his work on the Basic Set.
B. The implied setting of Portown from the Sample Dungeon in the Basic Set. Based on conversation with Eric F., who played Murray, the published Sample Dungeon is not exactly the same as anything they played through, but contains familiar elements.
C. The setting of the Boinger and Zereth short stories and the Maze of Peril novel, certain inspired by A, but not necessarily the same in details. More of a literary construct than based in actual gameplay.
D. The adventures listed in the acknowledgments to his 1981 FRPG book, which may be related to some of the above.

And then there's the setting that a DM can construct using the published TSR materials for Holmes, including the Sample Dungeon/Portown, the Great Stone Skull on Stone Mountain (aka Skull Mountain), B1 In Search of the Unknown, B2 The Keep on the Borderlands, and Mollie Plants' Chapel of Silence module in Dragon #50.
Zenopus
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:35 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:The Eric Holmes D&D set introduced the city of Portown and the neighboring dungeon of Zenopus. In this thread, TraverseTravis suggests that it's in the same region as the town of Caladan from Maze of Peril. This Dragonsfoot review compares the settings of the Holmes set and the novel.

The "Sample Dungeon" (aka "The Dungeon of Zenopus") and Maze of Peril both feature the following: the main characters meeting in the Green Dragon (a familiar name from Tolkien; also used by Gygax in Greyhawk City); a dungeon with an underwater body of water connected to the sea, lit by glowing rocks (stated to be due to phosphorescent fungus in the Sample Dungeon) and including a giant crab hidden on a beach; and an evil thaumaturgist who lives in a tower in town and owns a magic wand.

Despite these similarities, the setting explored by Zereth and Boinger is clearly not identical to the Sample Dungeon. In Maze of Peril, the town is Caladan and is day’s ride from the sea (pg 76), whereas in the Sample Dungeon the town is Portown on the sea. Furthermore, each evil thaumaturgist has a different magic wand. Interestingly, although the thaumaturgist in Maze of Peril does not have wand of petrification, the story contains a significant plot element that revolves around petrification (involving a cockatrice).

On the Piazza, religion has placed Portown in Karameikos, Mystara in this thread, among others. Havard has mentioned placing Portown in the Blackmoor era.

Thanks Rip. That certainly sounds like two different settings, although I suppose they could be two locations on the same world (like Elsir Vale and Nentir Vale).
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Vile wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:I wonder if anyone from the BLUEHOLME™ community could answer your questions. Do you know if any of them frequent The Piazza?

Woohoo! I'm a community! (sorry, Tim, I had to edit your quote for the correct writing of BLUEHOLME™) :P :cool: :lol:

From what was said at the North Texas RPG Con "Holmes Panel" and in the forum threads relating to it, it sounds like it's still in progress but hopefully not too far off from its launch. I for one hope that there will be an Epub version, because on the train, on my phone, is the only way I get time to read novels these days. To be honest, I've been doing that with some of Holmes's stories already, because I typed them up as text and loaded them onto my phone! ;)

RE: the campaign world, the stories do feature recurring characters so I guess you could say there was a 'Holmes campaign world', but it would have been for his own games and not related to Portown or anything else in the published Blue Book. In The Maze of Peril Boinger and Co. are based in a town called Caladan, but the stories take place in various pulp-like settings such as 'Arabian-nights-meet-Dune' deserts, at sea, and so forth. I get the impression that adventure settings were created as needed, not built into a coherent world map or gazetteer.

Of course, if you really want to know from those who were there, go ask Boinger himself, a.k.a. Chris Holmes: http://www.holmeswest.com/ :mrgreen:

It sounds like the deal here is a bit like JRR Tolkein's son doing research into his dad's stories. I might go ask Chris Holmes, at some point, but I don't want to bother him if I don't have to. (Having said that, I wonder if he writes on forums, under the name Boinger. :) )

I saw the wereshark on his website and it said he was an artist. So I'll be curious to see if the new book is going to feature any of his "Holmes-world" artwork.

I guess that a world-map or a gazetteer was something I was hoping for. A lot of fantasy books come with maps in the front, thesedays. But if the professor didn't make a map, then there isn't a map.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:03 pm

grodog wrote:Here's what I posted over on G+ @ https://plus.google.com/u/0/11357949325 ... jyP?cfem=1 in response to a similar Q:

Ron and David are both correct: we intentionally slowed down the release for NTX last year, but then Juniper laid me off from my day job the week after returning from NTX in June 2015. After I found work again (which took six months), I decided that I needed to re-edit Maze of Peril (which was definitely worth it), and we received some new information that needed to be integrated into the book (recollections from Murray's player, including his PC sheets). So, we tried hard to have the book for NTX this year, but we're committed to a high-quality product, and decided not to rush it once more.

That said, our printer did get the signature sheets for the first, limited edition send to us at NTX; the first 200-ish will be numbered and signed by Chris Holmes, +Zach H, and me.

And we shared a handout at NTX that shows the original Boinger, Zereth, and Murray PC sheets (Boinger's is a modern recreation), and it also included some pics of JEH and Chris Holmes, as well as an extract from +Zach H's annotated bibliography essay. I'll get that posted over the weekend, along with the slide show that we weren't able to share at the reading (no cord to connect the projector to the laptop, alas).

That help?

Thanks for posting this Grodog.

I remember someone else writing something about products falling behind schedule that I thought was pretty appropriate. It was something about a late product only being late, until it arrives, but a product with mistakes always being a product with mistakes. So I'm guessing that everyone who is looking forward to this book will appreciate it being made to be as good as possible.

Are you able to give me any information about possible connections to the setting described in RPG products? Or is that something that is outside the scope of the project (or something that is being kept back until publication)?

Were any of the RPG products J.Eric Holmes playtested with the same characters and NPCs in the stories he wrote? Is the book going to include anything from the Professor Homes's players that gives extra information that is not in the stories themselves? Or is the idea of this project to clean up J.Eric Holmes's stories and present them in a clean and accurate format?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Zenopus wrote:I'm here too if I can answer any Holmes questions for anyone.

Thank you Zenopus. Suddenly I have experts coming out of my ears! :)

Zenopus wrote:I'd say there's no single definitive "Holmes campaign setting". Instead we have glimpses of campaign settings, which may or may not be the same in all details:

A. The campaign setting Holmes used for his Boinger/Zereth/Murray games prior to editing the Basic Set. Best glimpsed in the A&E stories (really, write-ups of game sessions), published prior to his work on the Basic Set.
B. The implied setting of Portown from the Sample Dungeon in the Basic Set. Based on conversation with Eric F., who played Murray, the published Sample Dungeon is not exactly the same as anything they played through, but contains familiar elements.
C. The setting of the Boinger and Zereth short stories and the Maze of Peril novel, certain inspired by A, but not necessarily the same in details. More of a literary construct than based in actual gameplay.
D. The adventures listed in the acknowledgments to his 1981 FRPG book, which may be related to some of the above.

I guess that with A and C there is an element of needing to adapt things for a different media. Just as the Dragonlance Chronicles, are different from the D&D adventures, and the home-game that went before them (and the movie version of the first third) there is going to be some details that change.

I suppose that with the game being called Dungeons and Dragons, there must have been some level of pressure (even self-applied pressure) to include at least one dungon and at least one dragon in a D&D boxed set. That must have been something that influenced the decision to write that Sample Dungeon. Has anyone asked if the Boinger/Zereth/Murray played in that dungeon?

I guess that the D-list (which I didn't know about, before you mentioned it) would be a good source for GM inspiration, but would be things that Holmes could not copy if he wanted to write his own fiction (or publish his own campaign setting) because he doesn't own the copyright on that stuff. I know that what is now the Parsantium Campaign Setting started out as a homebrew city in an Al-Qadim game, before it was cleaned up to remove all the IP, so it could be made available to people as a book. So I guess it is possible that Holmes had some of that stuff in his home games, but could never have written adventures or novels about it.

Zenopus wrote:And then there's the setting that a DM can construct using the published TSR materials for Holmes, including the Sample Dungeon/Portown, the Great Stone Skull on Stone Mountain (aka Skull Mountain), B1 In Search of the Unknown, B2 The Keep on the Borderlands, and Mollie Plants' Chapel of Silence module in Dragon #50.

Do you know of anyone who has ever tried that?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sturm » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:06 pm

Zenopus wrote:And then there's the setting that a DM can construct using the published TSR materials for Holmes, including the Sample Dungeon/Portown, the Great Stone Skull on Stone Mountain (aka Skull Mountain), B1 In Search of the Unknown, B2 The Keep on the Borderlands, and Mollie Plants' Chapel of Silence module in Dragon #50.

Most of these places ended up in Mystara canonically and indeed as Rip said Religon made a great map and description for Portown in Mystara.
I will homever start a thread in the Mystara forum to ask if someone placed there also Skull mountain and the chapel and where...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Zenopus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 am

Tales of Peril was published this past summer by Black Blade. Ordering details can be found here:
How to Order Tales of Peril (and other books) from Black Blade Publishing

I've started a new blog series, a read-through of the book called "Tales of Peril Book Club". Here are the posts so far:

Tales of Peril book club - intro/index
Tales of Peril - Cover Art
Tales of Peril - Dust Jacket Flaps - content on the dust jacket flaps, including a larger scan of the author photo
Zenopus
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks for the bump, Zenopus. I had forgotten about this! :D

How spoilerish is "Tales of Peril Book Club" so far?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sturm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 am

Very interesting book. Unfortunately international shipping rates are a bit high, I may have to wait for an ebook :)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 am

Edited by Allan Grohe, that's all I need to buy this! :)

Does this book include Maze of Peril?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby grodog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Big Mac wrote:Are you able to give me any information about possible connections to the setting described in RPG products? Or is that something that is outside the scope of the project (or something that is being kept back until publication)?

Were any of the RPG products J.Eric Holmes playtested with the same characters and NPCs in the stories he wrote? Is the book going to include anything from the Professor Homes's players that gives extra information that is not in the stories themselves? Or is the idea of this project to clean up J.Eric Holmes's stories and present them in a clean and accurate format?

While digging into the contents for Tales of Peril, Holmes' original manuscripts from his home campaign were found. Depending on how well sales go with Tales of Peril, we'll consider doing a publication of them in some format (undetermined at this time---could be facsimile reproductions, could be bulid a module from them, could be a combination, could be something else).

The intention of ToP was to collect the stories (with their original Holmes art where possible) in one volume, and to publish or reprint the previously-unpublished and/or rare materials under one cover.

Big Mac wrote:How spoilerish is "Tales of Peril Book Club" so far?

Pretty safe thus far---just dealing with the cover art and dust jacket contents. As the book club moves into the stories, there will certainly be spoilers.

Sturm wrote:Very interesting book. Unfortunately international shipping rates are a bit high, I may have to wait for an ebook :)

You're not the only one to voice this desire, Sturm :D

We've planned from the beginning to issue an electronic version of Tales of Peril, but not until after the first printing of hardcovers sells out. When we do the second printing of hardcovers, we'll correct errors in the first printing, and also layout the book for epub, mobi, and PDF formats (exact e-book formats not determined yet :D ). So, it'll still be at least a little while before this happens. That help?

Havard wrote:Edited by Allan Grohe, that's all I need to buy this! :) Does this book include Maze of Peril?

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Havard. The ToC is in my blog @ https://grodog.blogspot.com/2017/05/tal ... eview.html along with other preview info including the list of illustrations @ https://grodog.blogspot.com/2017/05/tal ... twork.html

Allan.
grodog
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:51 pm

grodog wrote:
Sturm wrote:Very interesting book. Unfortunately international shipping rates are a bit high, I may have to wait for an ebook :)

You're not the only one to voice this desire, Sturm :D

We've planned from the beginning to issue an electronic version of Tales of Peril, but not until after the first printing of hardcovers sells out. When we do the second printing of hardcovers, we'll correct errors in the first printing, and also layout the book for epub, mobi, and PDF formats (exact e-book formats not determined yet :D ). So, it'll still be at least a little while before this happens. That help?

International shipping can be a bit of a blocker. It hikes up the "total cost of ownership" for international fans...without actually giving any more money to creative people. The folks who own DriveThru RPG have cut a Print on Demand deal with Lighting Source, where I buy things from their US website, but they actually get printed and shipped from the UK.

Perhaps after you have got all the hardbacks sold, you could look into PoD for future fans. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby grodog » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Big Mac wrote:International shipping can be a bit of a blocker. It hikes up the "total cost of ownership" for international fans...without actually giving any more money to creative people. The folks who own DriveThru RPG have cut a Print on Demand deal with Lighting Source, where I buy things from their US website, but they actually get printed and shipped from the UK.

I'm sure that would make the book much more affordable!

Big Mac wrote:Perhaps after you have got all the hardbacks sold, you could look into PoD for future fans. :)

Assuming that we can get something close-ish to the quality of the printed books we got from our offset printer, I don't see why we wouldn't do that, Big Mac. I haven't investigated POD with DriveThru in ages, so we'll take a look as the print run dwindles. Thank you for the input!

Allan.
grodog
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:47 pm

grodog wrote:
Big Mac wrote:International shipping can be a bit of a blocker. It hikes up the "total cost of ownership" for international fans...without actually giving any more money to creative people. The folks who own DriveThru RPG have cut a Print on Demand deal with Lighting Source, where I buy things from their US website, but they actually get printed and shipped from the UK.

I'm sure that would make the book much more affordable!

Big Mac wrote:Perhaps after you have got all the hardbacks sold, you could look into PoD for future fans. :)

Assuming that we can get something close-ish to the quality of the printed books we got from our offset printer, I don't see why we wouldn't do that, Big Mac. I haven't investigated POD with DriveThru in ages, so we'll take a look as the print run dwindles. Thank you for the input!

Allan.

Thanks for listening, Allan.

I'm a big fan of Print on Demand, but it's by no means a perfect thing.

DriveThru in particular uses it to drive direct sales to it's own website. I see no obvious tie-in for people running roleplaying stores who want to buy and sell stuff and make a cut.

But, I think that there are Kickstarters putting out PDFs via DriveThru now, and then following that up with Print on Demand books, after everything has been published.

I bought a (fairly cheap) copy of the (old) Midgard Campaign Setting from DriveThru and Lightning Source's print quality was fairly good. I did find a bit of a 'wibble" on some of my pages. I think that was down to saturation of in causing a distortion. But I believe they offere options with higher quality paper.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Vile » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:18 pm

I still find Lulu far superior to OneBookShelf in terms of PoD. And I buy lots of stuff from Lulu because they have "free shipping" coupons on a regular basis.
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Zenopus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Delving into the actual book, here I cover the 'Front Matter' - title page, table of contents, credits, acknowledgements, introduction by grodog, etc:

Tales of Peril - Front Matter
Zenopus
Orc

Next

Return to The Tabard Inn