[novel] Tales of Peril

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [novel] Tales of Peril

Postby Zenopus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Here's the first Book Club post covering the actual stories. Warning: contains spoilers.

The Maze of Peril - Chapter 1: ENTRANCES - first scene:

"The Green Dragon Tavern was Crowded, Dark, Noisy"

In regard to the focus of the Piazza we start to see glimpses of Holmes' world-building, with the Green Dragon Tavern being a meeting place for adventurers from various lands that are given names.
Zenopus
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 am

Zenopus wrote:Here's the first Book Club post covering the actual stories. Warning: contains spoilers.

Is The Green Dragon Inn the first example of a pub where adventures start, in D&D?

I wonder if Ashtagon was inspired by Holmes, when she created all the pub-like names for the non-campaign setting forums at The Piazza. :?

Zenopus wrote:In regard to the focus of the Piazza we start to see glimpses of Holmes' world-building, with the Green Dragon Tavern being a meeting place for adventurers from various lands that are given names.

Thanks. That's great that you specified this.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Zenopus wrote:Here's the first Book Club post covering the actual stories. Warning: contains spoilers.

Is The Green Dragon Inn the first example of a pub where adventures start, in D&D?

Well, there's also the one from Blackmoor, the Comeback Inn... ;)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Well, there's also the one from Blackmoor, the Comeback Inn... ;)

Oh, I know about The Comeback Inn. But I was wondering if The Green Dragon was older than The Comeback Inn. I know that the first Blackmoor and Greyhawk books were very very light on campaign setting detail.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zenopus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm not sure when Gary & crew started using the Green Dragon in Greyhawk, but it wasn't mentioned in print until after Holmes' used it in the Sample Dungeon in the Basic rulebook. They seem to have independently borrowed the name from Tolkien.
Zenopus
Orc

Postby Zenopus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Next post is up, continuing Chapter 1. More world-building here, with the narrator describing the vast layered Underworld of the setting:

http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=1
Zenopus
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:21 am

Zenopus wrote:I'm not sure when Gary & crew started using the Green Dragon in Greyhawk, but it wasn't mentioned in print until after Holmes' used it in the Sample Dungeon in the Basic rulebook. They seem to have independently borrowed the name from Tolkien.

Given that there are green dragons in D&D (I'm not sure when the colours were introduced) I can imagine some people creating a Green Dragon pub, without borrowing it from Tolkien (or Holmes or Gygax). But these early D&D people seem to have made a lot more effort to read up on pre-D&D fantasy literature.

I saw that you thought that Zereth's homeland was a nod to The King of Elfland's Daughter. Have you ever been able to infer the equivalent of an "Appendix N" for sources that J. Eric Holmes is known (or thought) to have read up on?

Zenopus wrote:Next post is up, continuing Chapter 1. More world-building here, with the narrator describing the vast layered Underworld of the setting:

http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=1

Caladan is quite similar to Calidar. I wonder if Bruce Heard's Caldar campaign setting, was inspired by Holmes's town (or by Frank Herbert's Dune). :?

Your Ancient Builder is fun. It seemed familiar. Or at least the idea of an old monster that uses magic items to do stuff seems familiar. I must have either read this before or seen someone else who got inspired by Cthulhu stuff who did something similar. (Spelljammer has a builder civilisation, called the Juna. I think that long-lost races can be pretty cool.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Previous

Return to The Tabard Inn