D&Ds Digital Endeavor (DnDBeyond)

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

D&Ds Digital Endeavor (DnDBeyond)

Postby Dhaylen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:17 pm

I often find myself trying to understand the direction WotC is taking with D&D 5.0 when it comes to Digital.

One of the driving factors for this curiosity is money spent. $$$.
I currently own all books for fifth edition, and due to lack of support for Ebberon - own every third edition pdf. they have supporting it.

Enter... Digital.
* Fantasy Grounds
1: Approx. $300 for the full package.
a: fine for those who do not already own the hardcover editions - seems a discount is needed?
(Yes, they have subscriptions - not for everyone.)
2: DnDBeyond looks to, eventually, (perhaps sooner than later) replace the services that Fantasy Grounds offers -
... making your purchase, even more so, your 'rent' a moot point.

Sure, they could co-exist, however, support for anything digital has not been their strong point, taking a look at:
* Sword Coast Legends
1: Supposed to be a true DM tool for creating games to play, visually, with your friends.
But... support was dropped, and it never lived up to half its hype.

* iPad D&D Game, in-app-purchase, totally gone - no warning, and no refunds, no saves, no way to use the app once they stopped supporting it.

* WotC own Forums
They closed, and its what led me to both EnWorld, and here to the Piazza. :)

* Neverwinter,
going strong for them, perhaps? But Steam reviews seem to have gone down as its now, apparently, play to win

* DDO
This is not even properly advertised, and hidden on their site, with Dungeon magazine for iPad taking precedence under the 'gaming' tab???

*DnDBeyond - Again, what is this? Its official, but to what degree compared to the above?
I suppose its more like the DMsGuild where they partnered vs. a third party license?

Apparently WotC wants to get back into the forums, and from what I see, it seems their avenue is DnDBeyond.
Not that this is bad, but it brings up a couple of issues as they grow out of beta and expand.

1: How does this, looking forward, affect Fantasy Grounds?
2: A staff member replied that the Forums would be expanding with articles, reviews, etc.
(Sounds like Dungeon Magazine mixed with EnWorld?)

While this may be good - there are the obvious pitfalls, such as previous subscriptions and purchases - as well as dedicated forums and news sites, such as the Piazza and EnWorld that will be affected by this.

Guess we will have to wait and see.
While there is indeed a method to all this madness, and they have hired a guy from Microsoft to straighten out their digital business, only time will tell...
... with projects such as an MTG MMO. Truth be said, it seems that we are oversaturated with MMOs - unless they hit this out the park, doubt it will compete with the likes of Blizzard or Zenimax (Elderscrolls)

What are your thoughts regarding this?
As for the forums, I personally like that the Piazza has a forum for each world, and people posting here that are experienced, and passionate about their game... including having some of the world authors posting here, such as Keith Baker for Eberron. :)
Dhaylen
Orc

Re: D&Ds Digital Endeavor (DnDBeyond)

Postby Big Mac » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Dhaylen wrote:As for the forums, I personally like that the Piazza has a forum for each world, and people posting here that are experienced, and passionate about their game... including having some of the world authors posting here, such as Keith Baker for Eberron. :)

From what I can tell the D&D Beyond forums are there for people using D&D Beyond itself.

The login requires a Twitch TV account, so it would appear that the people who set those forums up have been trying to target people who watch live-streamed D&D games.

My main concern with D&D Beyond is the lifespan. (This includes their forums.) Will D&D Beyond last forever, like physical books would, or could it suddenly vanish one day (like Paizo D&D PDFs).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Dhaylen wrote:From what I can tell the D&D Beyond forums are there for people using D&D Beyond itself.

The login requires a Twitch TV account, so it would appear that the people who set those forums up have been trying to target people who watch live-streamed D&D games.

Curse, the division behind D&D Beyond, is owned by Twitch.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 pm

In case you missed the news, D&D Beyond has opened up phase 2 and 3 to beta.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Return to The Tabard Inn