Did Matt Mercer Change D&D?

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Did Matt Mercer Change D&D?

Postby Havard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:40 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/toddkenrec ... f280526d3a

Interesting article on Forbes. Not sure about the title, but promoting the hobby is always a good thing!

Do any of you watch his videos? :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Did Matt Mercer Change D&D?

Postby Recklessfireball » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:08 am

No, although I did click the link you provided, out of curiosity, and read the article because I'd never heard of Matt Mercer. After reading the article, I still don't have any idea who this is. :lol:
Recklessfireball
Goblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:34 am

I just got done watching the video, and I would have to say that he has. Role-playing has been out of the Dark Ages for awhile and I honestly believe we are now in the Renaissance Era of role-playing and RPGs. Our culture is saturated with the isms of it and to be able to proclaim oneself as a gamer is seen in itself as something unique. We are no longer the few...we are many!

Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Wed May 03, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 am

I can't read this as Forbes.com doesn't like the fact that I have an adblocker.

Like Recklessfireball, I had also not heard of him. I looked him up and the Matthew Mercer article on Wikipedia says that he is a voice actor that does something called Critical Role. Apparently, that is a Dungeons & Dragons game played by professional voice actors, with Matt Mercer as the GM. (I guess that means that Critical Role is the same sort of thing as Maze Arcana and Matt Mercer does the same thing as Satine Phoenix & Ruty Rutenberg.)

I don't I would say that Matt Mercer has "changed" D&D. Critical Role is apparently set in a kingdom called Tal'Dorei, but I've never heard of a sourcebook being published for the setting. I also presume that the setting belongd to Matt Mercer and not WotC, as the game started off as a one-shot Pathfinder game. So if there was ever a Kickstarter campaign to fund a Critical Role book (or series of books) it would be a third party publisher thing.

PRE-POST EDIT: I just got around Forbes.com's block :twisted: and it looks to me like they have come up with a share-bait title to talk up this series of Matthew Mercer interviews by Dungon Life:

I really liked the videos. There is a Crtical Role page on Geek and Sundry, if anyone wants to watch the game.

And it seems that, watching the videos, as well as reading the full article, that they are saying that Critical Role (not Matt Mercer) changed D&D. Did it? I'm not sure that D&D has changed. This seems more like a new form of media to me, one that I've discussed with a friend called Kris (who I am not sure has an account here). But I do know that watching Maze Arcana was part of what made me want to jump into Auld Dragon's Spelljammer Adventures in Space game (that is on Twitch TV). So I can see someone making a counter-argument that it was Twitch TV (rather than Critical Role or any other live-streamed show) that changed D&D, if indeed D&D has "changed".

I've spoken to a few people online who told me that they "used to play D&D" in the past, but don't have time now. I wonder if watching D&D online might bring some people back into the community. :?

I think I'll be much more interested to see how many Twitch TV games support out of print campaign settings (and if any start up for the more cult settings, that I'd love to learn a bit more about).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:51 am

If I had a solid, steady three-to-four hour block of free time, I for one would rather be playing than watching other people play....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Recklessfireball » Mon May 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for the link. I'm surprised I'd never heard of the show (or Mercer) before, though I have watched Will Wheatons show Tabletop. Looks like they do a lot of great charity work; I may have to check it out sometime. :)
Recklessfireball
Goblin

Postby Havard » Mon May 01, 2017 7:28 pm

I first heard about Matt Mercer because Matt Colville keeps referring to him in his videos. I tend to prefer videos with gaming advice (Like Colville's) over actual play videos like the ones Matt Mercer do, but every now and then I am in the mood for watching actual play videos. From what I understand, Mercer's crew are all professional actors so that probably helps. There are also several other good actual play video series out there and if they spread the interest in D&D, that is a great thing.

And yeah, I prefer playing games to watching videos of people playing them, but this can be a fun activity while I wait for all my players to find the time to get together. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 02, 2017 12:57 am

RobJN wrote:If I had a solid, steady three-to-four hour block of free time, I for one would rather be playing than watching other people play....

Does that mean you will not be coming to watch me playing in AuldDragon's Spelljammer game? ;( ;( ;(

;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 am

Havard wrote:I first heard about Matt Mercer because Matt Colville keeps referring to him in his videos. I tend to prefer videos with gaming advice (Like Colville's) over actual play videos like the ones Matt Mercer do, but every now and then I am in the mood for watching actual play videos. From what I understand, Mercer's crew are all professional actors so that probably helps. There are also several other good actual play video series out there and if they spread the interest in D&D, that is a great thing.

And yeah, I prefer playing games to watching videos of people playing them, but this can be a fun activity while I wait for all my players to find the time to get together. :)

I think I'd be more interested in Matt Mercer's game if he was using a D&D campaign setting.

Does anyone know if there is any online documentation for the Critcal Role setting?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Wed May 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Havard wrote:I first heard about Matt Mercer because Matt Colville keeps referring to him in his videos. I tend to prefer videos with gaming advice (Like Colville's) over actual play videos like the ones Matt Mercer do, but every now and then I am in the mood for watching actual play videos.

Same here. I very rarely ever watch actual play videos, apart from an occasional Tabletop episode. (I watched the Dragon Age episode because it was a Green Ronin game I was curious about, and later watched Titansgrave Season 1 because I enjoyed that.) Even with Colville, I mostly just watch his GM advice videos, not his campaign journals or (very rare) game streams.

Big Mac wrote:I think I'd be more interested in Matt Mercer's game if he was using a D&D campaign setting.

Does anyone know if there is any online documentation for the Critcal Role setting?

Green Ronin will be producing 5E sourcebooks for the setting. The first one is scheduled to release at GenCon this year.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 pm

timemrick wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think I'd be more interested in Matt Mercer's game if he was using a D&D campaign setting.

Green Ronin will be producing 5E sourcebooks for the setting. The first one is scheduled to release at GenCon this year.
For this alone I may break my precedent of buying only WotC 5E books.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri May 05, 2017 10:07 pm

timemrick wrote:

Thanks Tim.

Now that is something where we can actually measure if Matt Mercer "changes" D&D. :)

How big a market share will this Critical Roll campaign setting get?

Will there be spin-off books? How many books will the product line have?

And lastly...

...will the campaign setting ever win a bespoke forum at The Piazza? :P
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
timemrick wrote:

Thanks Tim.

Now that is something where we can actually measure if Matt Mercer "changes" D&D. :)

How big a market share will this Critical Roll campaign setting get?

Will there be spin-off books? How many books will the product line have?

And lastly...

...will the campaign setting ever win a bespoke forum at The Piazza? :P

The campaign setting book has a page up on Amazon now so I guess this is happening!

I started a thread about the setting of Tal'Dorei used in the Critical Role games here. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to The Tabard Inn