Universal's "Dark Universe" is coming

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Universal's "Dark Universe" is coming

Postby sam » Wed May 24, 2017 7:53 am

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/universal-mon ... 00225.html

I think they want to combine gill-man and werewolf with Van Helsing into a team, and then let the "monsters" against Pazuzu. :D
sam
Hobgoblin

Re: Universal's "Dark Universe" is coming

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Interesting. I thought Dracula Untold was the first of the Dark Universe series. I am looking forward to seeing how this shapes up.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
DevinatArt / Facebook / Google / The Piazza / Twitter / YouTube
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Interesting. I thought Dracula Untold was the first of the Dark Universe series.

That was the original plan. But for various reasons they have decided to ignore that movie going forward.

I think that a shared universe for these monsters could work in theory, but I think it would have to involve some very clever writing. Curious to see if Universal is able to pull that off.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 pm

It will be interesting to see if the culmination of the Dark Universe leads into a sort of League of Extraordinary Gentleman anthology. I always wished that there would've been a sequel to LXG considering how it ended post credits.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
DevinatArt / Facebook / Google / The Piazza / Twitter / YouTube
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby sam » Thu May 25, 2017 2:43 pm

I think DU's future will be very similar to LXG or Hellboy. :D

I'm very curious about DU will introduce what "new monsters", and how to shape them.
sam
Hobgoblin

Postby willpell » Thu May 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Welp, I'm out. I liked Dracula Untold, but if they're dropping that (and including Tom Cruise, and making The Mummy female when the original was Boris freaking Karloff, and various other decisions I strenously disagree with), then I have absolutely no reason to care.

It's amazing how many of these Hollywood people think that the key to Marvel Universe's success is "they make a giant franchise out of multiple linked movies", as opposed to "they make movies that are actually GOOD for a change". (Mostly. Out of the 14 MCU films prior to GotG2, I have seen all but one, and would characterize only three of them as "bad". I can't name another production house which has managed to make ten good movies in a decade and only screw up thrice.)
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Thu May 25, 2017 9:38 pm

willpell wrote:Welp, I'm out. I liked Dracula Untold, but if they're dropping that (and including Tom Cruise, and making The Mummy female when the original was Boris freaking Karloff, and various other decisions I strenously disagree with), then I have absolutely no reason to care.

I have no problem with a female Mummy and she looks pretty cool in the trailers. However it should be noted that various hints in the trailers have lead people to speculate that she will not be the only Mummy in this franchise and probably not the main one either, at least if looking at the franchise as a whole.

It's amazing how many of these Hollywood people think that the key to Marvel Universe's success is "they make a giant franchise out of multiple linked movies", as opposed to "they make movies that are actually GOOD for a change". (Mostly. Out of the 14 MCU films prior to GotG2, I have seen all but one, and would characterize only three of them as "bad". I can't name another production house which has managed to make ten good movies in a decade and only screw up thrice.)

Well, I suspect we have somewhat different tastes in movies, but I agree that shared universes are really hard to pull off and outside of Marvel attempts at creating new shared universes have hurt individual movies. I think they are going about things a bit differently in this one though, but we shall see if it works out.

You are absolutely right though, that what matters is that they make a good movie. Again, based on the trailers, I think the Mummy could turn into a pretty cool movie. Having plans for sequels involving other monsters doesn't have to be a bad thing, but they have to put out a good movie to start the series. So a lot depends on how this first movie works out.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to The Tabard Inn