Well hey there, I'm back.

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Well hey there, I'm back.

Postby Boddynock » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Well hey Piazza! I'm back from the long wilderness of blog writing and staying on the outskirts of Google+ and Facebook, rather than writing any lengthy amount of time on one of my two favorite boards. The other is Havard's Comeback Inn. I hope everyone has been having a good week in gaming. I'm very excited to slowly begin picking up 5e, especially since a lot of my 3e collection has transmogrified themselves to PDFs. I still have a few Pathfinder books, but haven't really picked up the heavy interest to run that game. As of late it's been Mini Six, Savage Worlds, and the occasional bout of 1974 Style. I still kind of like Swords & Wizardry and White Star, though I'm starting to see a few minor issues with the games hearkening back to the older game styles.

So, what am I saying? Out of all of that? Well, it's good to be back and posting more frequently.

-Boddynock, the Gnome Ambassador.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Re: Well hey there, I'm back.

Postby Hugin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Good to have you back, Boddynock!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Boddynock » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks Hugin! I'm glad to be back. I definitely see a lot more boards have popped up since I left. I'm eager to get back into it.

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Ashtagon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:33 pm

Heya, welcome back :)
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:08 am

Thanks, Ash! I'm glad to see the forum is still great as ever. I've been through a number of times since going quiet, but just a look around. Now I hope to become more active : D

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Boddynock wrote:Well hey Piazza! I'm back from the long wilderness of blog writing and staying on the outskirts of Google+ and Facebook, rather than writing any lengthy amount of time on one of my two favorite boards. The other is Havard's Comeback Inn. I hope everyone has been having a good week in gaming. I'm very excited to slowly begin picking up 5e, especially since a lot of my 3e collection has transmogrified themselves to PDFs. I still have a few Pathfinder books, but haven't really picked up the heavy interest to run that game. As of late it's been Mini Six, Savage Worlds, and the occasional bout of 1974 Style. I still kind of like Swords & Wizardry and White Star, though I'm starting to see a few minor issues with the games hearkening back to the older game styles.

Hi Boddynock! It's great to see you back!

Boddynock wrote:I definitely see a lot more boards have popped up since I left. I'm eager to get back into it.

Some of those forums have been slowly building up for years.

We still don't have a Savage World forum or a Swords & Wizardry forum here. (I'm not sure how close we are to the 5-10-1 threshold for either of them.) ;)

Is Mini Six the open version of West End Game's Star Wars system?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Hey Big Mac! Always great to hear from you!

Is Mini Six the open version of West End Game's Star Wars system?

Mini Six is indeed the open source of West End Game's D6 system they used for Star Wars. It's kind of a stripped down version that includes at its core 4 attributes and a scattering of skills depending on genre. It's very toolbox by encouraging a GM to create their own Attributes to suit their games purposes. The big change/contribution Mini Six offers is static defense over an attacker vs. defender rolling to see if they hit. That occurs on occasion - such as when throwing a lightning bolt, a target gets to roll a Dodge save, but most attacks are resolved with just the attacker rolling.

You can get the pdf free here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/144558/Mini-Six-Bare-Bones-Edition

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Boddynock wrote:Hey Big Mac! Always great to hear from you!

:oops:

Likewise!

I'm looking forward to seeing what cool new things you are going to talk about.

Boddynock wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is Mini Six the open version of West End Game's Star Wars system?

Mini Six is indeed the open source of West End Game's D6 system they used for Star Wars. It's kind of a stripped down version that includes at its core 4 attributes and a scattering of skills depending on genre. It's very toolbox by encouraging a GM to create their own Attributes to suit their games purposes. The big change/contribution Mini Six offers is static defense over an attacker vs. defender rolling to see if they hit. That occurs on occasion - such as when throwing a lightning bolt, a target gets to roll a Dodge save, but most attacks are resolved with just the attacker rolling.

You can get the pdf free here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/144558/Mini-Six-Bare-Bones-Edition

I'll probably be sticking to 3e D&D rules, but it's great to see the old WEG system supported by a new company.

I hope that the Mini Six market brings out some new stuff that Star Wars fans can raid. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Actually, if you go down to the Star Wars forum I already posted both an RPG.net thread of someone who took heavy inspiration from WEG Star Wars to make a sort of Mini Six version- and a mook table I took from there and converted into a document.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Boddynock wrote:Actually, if you go down to the Star Wars forum I already posted both an RPG.net thread of someone who took heavy inspiration from WEG Star Wars to make a sort of Mini Six version- and a mook table I took from there and converted into a document.

Brilliant.

It's outside my area of interest, but I always like to see fans coming together and helping each other. It's a lot of fun to see what they can achieve.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Hey!

Welcome back pal! :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Boddynock » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Hey! Thanks, Havard! Always glad to see you, both here and on Facebook.

I finally got a chance to play 5e in an online/google hangout format. I know we chatted a little bit about 5e, but this time I had a chance to experience playing and consider how it holds up as a person who started out in the 3.5 era (skipping 4e for Pathfinder then Savage Worlds).

-I thought the Fighter class was quite good (I'm using the Basic rules you can get for free). I went with a Dwarf who specialized in Protection and could use his shield to protect an adjacent ally by incurring a Disadvantage on an attacker against that ally (it paid off in this case as I saved the occultist from a possible critical hit). I haven't messed with the Wizard or Bard yet (the corebook is on order), which those were my two favorite classes from 3.5 - but fighter is Gnome Approved!

-On one hand I kind of miss the big 3 when it comes to saving throws (Reflex, Fortitude, & Will), but I can also appreciate the use of attributes because at least every attribute has some use, though it might be minor.

So, as a player, I quite like it. As a GM? I'm not sure I'd want to GM it over stuff like Savage Worlds, Mini Six, or Swords & Wizardry, but as a player I'd lump it in with how I feel about 3.5 & Pathfinder - If someone said they'd want to run one of those games and asked if I wanted to join. I'd join with enthusiasm.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby timemrick » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Boddynock wrote:So, as a player, I quite like it. As a GM? I'm not sure I'd want to GM it over stuff like Savage Worlds, Mini Six, or Swords & Wizardry, but as a player I'd lump it in with how I feel about 3.5 & Pathfinder - If someone said they'd want to run one of those games and asked if I wanted to join. I'd join with enthusiasm.

My group's default system right now is Pathfinder (having moved from v.3.5 about 3 years ago), and that's what I'm using for my current homebrew campaign. However, I like 5E a great deal so far, and have settled on it as the best choice for running games for my kids (ages 13 and 11), though I'm strictly using modules for them, to save me the effort of homebrewing two games at once.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Return to The Tabard Inn