movie - Valerian

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

movie - Valerian

Postby willpell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:11 am

Just saw. Was amazing. Review to come, but don't wait - go see it now.
willpell
White Dragon

Re: movie - Valerian

Postby Khedrac » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:48 am

I don't think it is out here yet, but I saw the trailer yesterday (I went to see Spiderman Homeconing - great film, I wasn't expecting a comedy) and I thought it looked interesting.
Anyway thanks for the advice, I will now make a point of seeing when it comes out and going to see it.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm interested. Reviews I have read say it is visually fantastic, but pretty bad dialog and acting and lacking in plot, which is what I suspected when I saw the first trailer, but I will probably check it out.

I recently got hold of the comic, so just started reading it. Pretty interesting.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby willpell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Havard wrote:I'm interested. Reviews I have read say it is visually fantastic, but pretty bad dialog and acting and lacking in plot, which is what I suspected when I saw the first trailer, but I will probably check it out.

The visuals are absolutely jaw-dropping, especially in the first ten or twenty minutes of the film. My mind was legitimately blown at least two times, probably three. I could only afford to go once, so I saw it in 3D, and I was absolutely not disappointed. It's a beautiful, spectacular feast for the eyes.

The plot (and dialogue and acting and so forth) could certainly have been stronger, but for the most part I found it satisfactory. Comparing this movie to "Avatar" (with a bit of "Star Wars" thrown in, but not close to the level of archetypal characterization which made that one so successful) is very legitimate; neither movie has the most brilliantly original writing, and this one did succumb to cliche in several places, but also managed to have a few somewhat unconventional plot points, and there was at least a faint ghost of chemistry between the two leads. (Dane DeHaan has exactly the same voice as Keanu Reeves, which probably is not helping people like him; I'm the rare person who actually approves of Keanu's acting style, and I don't think Dane was quite as flat as he usually is, though he may still seem flat overall to some audiences. He's clearly not as charismatic as his character is meant to be; sadly, I think that was inevitable due to budget issues.) The lowest point of the film is probably the several intercut scenes where we have to watch this bureaucrat guy slowly figuring out what our main characters already know; it happens at around the same time we also meet a character played by the singer Rihanna, who is somewhat heartfelt and somewhat funny, but also somewhat shallow and annoying, and somewhat difficult to take seriously in what is ostensibly a serious part of the story.

Overall, I absolutely got my money's worth getting to see this once, and I think it's a legitimately good movie - but then, I also think "Gods of Egypt" is a legitimately good movie in spite of its flaws, so I won't be surprised if my word isn't good enough for most people. I would still encourage everyone to go see this at least once and make up their own mind; it's absolutely worth it just as a visual treat, and since the studio clearly broke the bank paying for top-notch VFX, I think they at least deserve to make their money back, even if they don't go down in history as the next "Star Wars" (which they doubtlessly hoped they would, but didn't try quite hard enough to have much hope of succeeding).
willpell
White Dragon

Return to The Tabard Inn