Do you ever feel guilty being involved in D&D?

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Do you ever feel guilty being involved in D&D?

Postby xoronthran » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:50 am

Hello fellow Mystaraphiles. I have been struggling for a long time with guilty feelings whenever I spend time on D&D. My family, non-gaming friends and probably most of society don't have a high opinion of gaming and judge it as immature (Peter Pan syndrome?), a waste of time and only for losers. So I have hidden my "dirty habit" for a long time.

Just wondered if anyone else could relate their own experiences to this and perhaps how you have dealt with it.

Regards
xoronthran
Orc

Re: Do you ever feel guilty being involved in D&D?

Postby ghendar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Guilty? :lol: Hell no!

At times in the past perhaps a little embarrassed but these days I really don't give a flying f*** what anyone thinks.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Sturm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:48 pm

You should consider that normally such low opinions on gaming come from people who love instead sports performed and discussed by people who act like such sports are really important stuff, rather than the silly games they are. Or from people who love reality shows and believe they are real and not scripted. If you think about it a moment, the opinions of such people hold no value.
It's just the perverse tendency of human groups to pick on those who do not conform to average customs and values. Yet if everyone in human history would have sticked to the average and behaved like all the others, humans would still be on trees.

So I would suggest to try to explain the game to anyone who is open minded and intelligent enough to understand, and dismiss the others.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Sturm wrote:You should consider that normally such low opinions on gaming come from people who love instead sports performed and discussed by people who act like such sports are really important stuff, rather than the silly games they are. Or from people who love reality shows and believe they are real and not scripted. If you think about it a moment, the opinions of such people hold no value.
It's just the perverse tendency of human groups to pick on those who do not conform to average customs and values. Yet if everyone in human history would have sticked to the average and behaved like all the others, humans would still be on trees.

So I would suggest to try to explain the game to anyone who is open minded and intelligent enough to understand, and dismiss the others.

+1
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby religon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Sturm wrote:You should consider that normally such low opinions on gaming come from people who love instead sports performed and discussed by people who act like such sports are really important stuff, rather than the silly games they are. Or from people who love reality shows and believe they are real and not scripted. If you think about it a moment, the opinions of such people hold no value.

Generalizing or dismissing people based on their recreational interests seems a very weak argument in this case.

As for the OP, I would not over-think things. People will judge, but in the end it's about your happiness and satisfaction. Be open with people, cultivate a number of interests and you'll find people throughout life to share your interests.

Think about your non-gaming friends. You obviously have common interests with those people or you wouldn't be friends. I'm sure they have lots of interests that don't appeal to you, but you are still friends. Trust that they will do the same if they don't share your interests. People will surprise you in a good way.
religon
Bugbear

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:57 am

+2
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:09 am

Growing up I did, certainly; it seems to me that in general there is a much more inclusive acceptance of it nowadays, though. It probably depends on where you are located, of course, and how much time you spend doing it. One approach to take in explaining it might be to emphasize how it is really collaborative storytelling, as opposed to a competitive gaming situation that other people might be more familiar with.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby willpell » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Hobby gaming in general does trouble me; I think about how many third-world families could eat for how long on the amount of money that gets thrown into a Kickstarter board game, simply to fill it with cool minis, when carboard chits used to be entirely sufficient for the needs of old school gamers. However, D&D has never required minis (even at the height of Wotco insanity, they were never more than a strong recommendation; you could absolutely run 4E battles using a colored pawn for each PC and a penny or quarter for each monster), and the fact that you can get a hundred adventures out of one sourcebook means that I feel D&D has an extremely good return on investment, compared to other types of gaming.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:54 pm

willpell wrote:I think about how many third-world families could eat for how long on the amount of money that gets thrown into a Kickstarter board game, simply to fill it with cool minis, when carboard chits used to be entirely sufficient for the needs of old school gamers.

Do you have the same feelings when you buy a car, go to a concert, buy your shoes or groceries, etc. or it is different when you support a KS?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:58 pm

I don't feel guilty for being involved in D&D.

I've had one friend say that I shouldn't be doing D&D, but I just mentally crossed her off of my "women I might marry one day" list and moved on. ;)

xoronthran wrote:My family, non-gaming friends and probably most of society don't have a high opinion of gaming and judge it as immature (Peter Pan syndrome?), a waste of time and only for losers. So I have hidden my "dirty habit" for a long time.

That's a shame. There are plenty of unpleasant things that people do to other people. Having fun with games isn't one of them.

Family: Well, you can't change your family, but you don't have to do what they want you to do. They should be glad you are not on drugs or in some sort of trouble.

Friends: Real friends are supportive. It's OK for friends to not share opinions on everything, but if you have friends who are constantly bugging you about anything (gaming or not) perhaps you should send less time with them and more time with friends who make you smile.

Most of society: Honestly, most of the time you hear the opinions of society (the so called "moral majority") it's someone claiming to represent other people. Forget about those sort of negative people. They complain about all sorts of things that other people do.

Are you hurting people? No. So, as long as you are living within your means and gaming on a budget that fits in with your lifestyle, I wouldn't worry about any of it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Birchbeer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Big Mac wrote:I don't feel guilty for being involved in D&D.

I've had one friend say that I shouldn't be doing D&D, but I just mentally crossed her off of my "women I might marry one day" list and moved on. ;)

xoronthran wrote:My family, non-gaming friends and probably most of society don't have a high opinion of gaming and judge it as immature (Peter Pan syndrome?), a waste of time and only for losers. So I have hidden my "dirty habit" for a long time.

That's a shame. There are plenty of unpleasant things that people do to other people. Having fun with games isn't one of them.

Family: Well, you can't change your family, but you don't have to do what they want you to do. They should be glad you are not on drugs or in some sort of trouble.

Friends: Real friends are supportive. It's OK for friends to not share opinions on everything, but if you have friends who are constantly bugging you about anything (gaming or not) perhaps you should send less time with them and more time with friends who make you smile.

Most of society: Honestly, most of the time you hear the opinions of society (the so called "moral majority") it's someone claiming to represent other people. Forget about those sort of negative people. They complain about all sorts of things that other people do.

Are you hurting people? No. So, as long as you are living within your means and gaming on a budget that fits in with your lifestyle, I wouldn't worry about any of it.

Great post. I concur! Here's a thought on this from my own life; When I was growing up I had a lot of legos and DND books. My brother's friends pretty much shamed me into putting the legos down but they played DND so DND stayed with me.

Now many years later I've got a few kids and they all love legos and DND. Thankfully, though I stopped building with the legos for years, I kept my collection. My wife even likes building them too, so we do the bigger modular sets together. On the DND side my son creates various characters, my daughter is asking me about mythologies, gods, their alignments and memorizing the Monster Manual. As for me, my prefered mini's for DND combat are lego minis. I don't have to paint them and if folks want to customize I have enough minifigures they can mix and match till they get the character they want :)
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby timemrick » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:14 am

Birchbeer wrote:Great post. I concur! Here's a thought on this from my own life; When I was growing up I had a lot of legos and DND books. My brother's friends pretty much shamed me into putting the legos down but they played DND so DND stayed with me.

Now many years later I've got a few kids and they all love legos and DND. Thankfully, though I stopped building with the legos for years, I kept my collection. My wife even likes building them too, so we do the bigger modular sets together. On the DND side my son creates various characters, my daughter is asking me about mythologies, gods, their alignments and memorizing the Monster Manual. As for me, my prefered mini's for DND combat are lego minis. I don't have to paint them and if folks want to customize I have enough minifigures they can mix and match till they get the character they want :)

This is very similar to my own experience, except that I never put down the LEGO--it was far too valuable of a creative outlet for me to ever give up, much like gaming is. I worked in a LEGO Store for a year and a half, and now I write a blog about RPGs and LEGO, often discussing both in the same column. :ugeek:

My wife didn't like LEGO as a kid (it was one of her little brother's weird hobbies), but seeing me use them for RPG minis eventually got her hooked on building with them as well.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Cedric » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:54 pm

xoronthran wrote:Hello fellow Mystaraphiles. I have been struggling for a long time with guilty feelings whenever I spend time on D&D. My family, non-gaming friends and probably most of society don't have a high opinion of gaming and judge it as immature (Peter Pan syndrome?), a waste of time and only for losers. So I have hidden my "dirty habit" for a long time.

Just wondered if anyone else could relate their own experiences to this and perhaps how you have dealt with it.

Regards

Oh, I simply casted "Charm Monster" on them all. Now, they are happy to play with me :-)
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 pm

For a long time my parents, strictly my mother, had banned Dungeons & Dragons as she had bought into the hype of the satanic panic of the 80's. I had to wait until I had my own job and could buy things on my own. Surprisingly D&D was banned, but I could sneak in World of Darkness (the NWOD material that came out in the 2000's) because 60 Minutes didn't do a cover story on it. Later on I got the 3.5 edition in which I was told I'd catch hell if I joined a cult over this stuff.

I eventually found a gaming group and had a session over at my house. Once my parents, especially my mom saw that all we were doing was sitting around a table describing stuff and throwing dice they accepted it. They think it's a little silly, but there are always worst ways to kill time. You could be a barfly, sitting at the counter going through drink after drink alone. At least your mind is getting exercise and you are enjoying company, even if a rules argument breaks out.

Nowadays I also run a D&D session for my job at the local library. I was very pleased when a parent came up and thanked me for helping provide this service for her daughter. I take great pride and comfort in thinking that hopefully such stigma is slowly slipping away, at least the part about this game being satanic and all that.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby oleck » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 am

Not at all. You can see it on difrent way. But if you think of it as a hobby its ok. Now I once told my wife, do you prefer i go to drink with my friends or to go to strip clubs? And the awnser was "please play D&D". The dificult part is finding other player if you dont have a group. But i recomend you start a facebook group trying to find players at your comunity. Sometimes you can go to comic stores and tray to talk to guys there. What i did was at a comic convetion i ask permition to play an exhibition game. Now ill start to make a facebook group where i will invite all my old players that maybe now they dont play, but maybe they know other ex players so they can invite them and you make a chain. Other thing that resulted with me was recomending TV Serie Stranger Things and after that talk to peoples about the game.
oleck
Gnoll

Postby Ashtagon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:35 am

Isn't folks who make you feel guilty about playing D&D what the mind bondage spell is for? :P
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby RobJN » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Isn't folks who make you feel guilty about playing D&D what the mind bondage spell is for? :P

Only after level 8.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby oleck » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Jajajaj
oleck
Gnoll

Postby ghendar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
willpell wrote:I think about how many third-world families could eat for how long on the amount of money that gets thrown into a Kickstarter board game, simply to fill it with cool minis, when carboard chits used to be entirely sufficient for the needs of old school gamers.

Do you have the same feelings when you buy a car, go to a concert, buy your shoes or groceries, etc. or it is different when you support a KS?

End D&D gamer privilege :lol:

Good god. Are we supposed to feel guilty about everything in the world today? :roll:
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 pm

I had to fight for much of my life, literally, just to be me.
I am a nerd, geek, artist, writer and if folk don't like that, they can suck on a ball pein hammer to the testicles! :p
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby willpell » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Yaztromo wrote:

I don't buy cars, and have only gone to like 3 concerts in my life. Both of these are highly extravagant, although the car might be necessary for practical reasons. Shoes and groceries are definitely practical needs. They might be overpriced in the west, but we can't just do without them.
willpell
White Dragon

Return to The Tabard Inn