Do you ever feel guilty being involved in D&D?

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Do you ever feel guilty being involved in D&D?

Post by shesheyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:07 pm

A very religious aunt tried to convince my mother that D&D was satanic but she didn't buy it. What my mother saw was her son playing with four other friends and having fun with make believe stories.

One time, we were playing D&D in the kitchen (instead of the basement). We had two chandeliers on the table and a friend had brought a long sword for ambiance. Jehovah witnesses showed up at the door on their usual monthly route to try to convert us. When they saw the set up and D&D books they left immediately. They stood in front of the house for 15 minutes praying. After that we never saw them again... I guess we were black listed. My mother was happy not to be bothered by them anymore.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:07 pm
After that we never saw them again... I guess we were black listed. My mother was happy not to be bothered by them anymore.
Probably the european ones would not have been discouraged by so little :lol:

Tom Bulls Eye
Ogre

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Watching from Denmark the "it's all satanics" hysteria in the US, back when I was a teenager in the 80'ties, was extremely funny. It's a book and you tell tales and roll dices, FGS.

So really, the issue of guilt only came up when girls couldn't understand why boys were spending time with nerdy stuff rather than with them. That was a bit embarrassing actually, back then as a teenager, to admit that there were better things to do than sit at a girlfriends house and sip tea, while her mum/dad was running back and forth to check that things didn't get out of hands.

These days, my gaming group consists of one attorney (myself), one CEO of a software company, one high school teacher, and one engineer. And when we don't meet for gaming, we play soccer or watch FC Copenhagen home matches. And our wives still do not understand, but graciously consent to our boyishly behaviors. And the best part - we try to pass it on to our children.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Tom Bulls Eye wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:23 pm
These days, my gaming group consists of one attorney (myself), one CEO of a software company, one high school teacher, and one engineer. And when we don't meet for gaming, we play soccer or watch FC Copenhagen home matches. And our wives still do not understand, but graciously consent to our boyishly behaviors. And the best part - we try to pass it on to our children.
I married a gamer-girl raised with three bothers. Problem solved. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:28 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:09 pm
I married a gamer-girl raised with three bothers. Problem solved. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
My wife was introduced to RPGs (both tabletop and LARPing) around the same time I first met her. She was thoroughly hooked by the time we started dating.

Now we're raising two second-generation gamers, whose reaction to hearing about the '80s panic would probably be "people are stupid," or something to that effect.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 am

I have not played D&D since 2012.
I don't have the time, energy, nor creativity especially, to be involved in the fan projects, like Threshold magazine.
I wanted to teach myself Photoshop/Illustrator to learn to make maps like Thorf does.
I started a couple of projects that were within my capabilities, but they have not been worked on for a long time.

My guilt lies with NOT being involved.

Kythkyn
Hobgoblin

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:16 pm

xoronthran wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:50 am
Hello fellow Mystaraphiles. I have been struggling for a long time with guilty feelings whenever I spend time on D&D. My family, non-gaming friends and probably most of society don't have a high opinion of gaming and judge it as immature (Peter Pan syndrome?), a waste of time and only for losers. So I have hidden my "dirty habit" for a long time.
My whole household and almost all of my friends game. My Husbutch and I have been RPing together for as long as we've been together (almost two decades!) I try to get people interested in gaming, and have brought many friends into the wonderful world of gaming over the years.

I don't think you should feel guilty (IK I'm late to the discussion), but instead reframe the thought. People have hobbies and that's perfectly valid. Yours is different from, say, Fantasy Baseball or stamp collecting or whatever the kids are doing these days, but that doesn't mean that it's any less valid. And really, it's only a waste of time if you're not enjoying yourself while doing it. Life can be sucky sometimes, having a healthy, creative and imaginative way to decompress should never been looked down upon
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

maff
Goblin

Post by maff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 pm

I don’t feel guilty about playing D&D as such. That’s a guarded answer.

I have zero regrets over the time and limited money I spent on D&D in my teens and early to mid 20s. In fact I’d say I feel a huge gratitude towards D&D - at 12 I was sat on my own in class. By 18 I was part of a varied group of gamers any of whom were my friend. I think it saved me from a grim teenage. So no regrets there.

Later and to date? I do have regrets, impulse buys of books and modules that I didn’t play and ended up giving to charity shops or colleagues whose kids were interested. I had a certain enjoyment but not enough to justify the quite stupid amount of money I spent.

Then again, i was off work with stress and idly rang a shop to see if the Necromancer Wilderlands was available. They had one copy of the players guide; I bought it and ran a few solo games - Lichway, Tower of Zenopus and a dash at Tegel Manor, using a QRS I found - god knows where. I think that helped me a lot.

So, Overall, the experience was hugely positive and no guilt about d&d - what it says about me and spending is a different matter.

And the allegedly satanic stuff? Another UK gamer. Nuff said?

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 am

I get a worse reaction from people when I tell them that I don't watch TV or American football. :o

Last week at work, a co-worker asked me why I won't work on Wednesday nights. I replied "It's D&D night. I never miss D&D night." My co-workers kinda nodded, said "Ohhhhhh." and turned back to whatever they were doing before, and left it at that.

The next day, one of my co-workers (a high school aged girl) told me that my excuse for not working on Wednesdays was "Goofy." and also told me that I was too old to play such a game. But we continued to talk and she asked questions about the game & how we play. She wasn't condescending or nasty about it - just naturally curious. I came away from the conversation feeling a little more respect from her than I did before. ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 am
The next day, one of my co-workers (a high school aged girl) told me that my excuse for not working on Wednesdays was "Goofy." and also told me that I was too old to play such a game. But we continued to talk and she asked questions about the game & how we play. She wasn't condescending or nasty about it - just naturally curious. I came away from the conversation feeling a little more respect from her than I did before. ;)
That's a nice story. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”