D&D at HASCON, Sept 8-10, 2017

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

D&D at HASCON, Sept 8-10, 2017

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Hasbro is hosting its first ever convention, HASCON, gathering friends and families from all our fandoms, and you know D&D is going to be there! Whether you want to play Tomb of Annihilation, meet some of the D&D team, or get a photo with our Batiri goblin—we’ve got you covered. Check out the full description of D&D events from HASCON below and don’t forget to order your tickets!

D&D Play

We have D&D adventures all weekend long at HASCON, ranging from two-hour family friendly introductions to two-day, ten-hour expeditions into the Tomb of Annihilation. Sign up for specific events when you pick up your HASCON ticket.

Welcome to a Life of Adventure!

2-Hour Adventure

This is a short adventure, tailor made to introduce players to the new Tomb of Annihilation story line. This tabletop D&D adventure can be replayed multiple times, opening different paths and opportunities based on the players’ choices. Great for people who only have a couple hours to play some D&D or for those who want to get a peek at the new D&D story line. Create a first level character or use one of our pregenerated characters.

D&D for the Family

2-Hour Adventure

Parents, bring your kids to the table and play D&D as family! This 2-hour adventure will introduce the family of adventurers to Dungeons & Dragons, focusing on story, puzzles, and some encounters with fantastical (but not too scary) creatures, like stone golems, mimics, and perhaps a friendly dragon. We will have pregenerated, kid-friendly characters for everyone and a family friendly DM to help people through the rules as necessary, though the focus will be on fun and story.

The Dungeons & Dragons Experience

5-Hour Adventure

Join an adventuring party and prepare yourself for the full tabletop D&D experience! Bring a new first level character or select one of our pregenerated characters and get ready for a D&D adventure in our new storyline, Tomb of Annihilation, with an experienced Dungeon Master. By completing your adventure, you will earn rewards that can be used in future adventures and gain experience to level up your new D&D character. Every player will also receive a copy of our new adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, the Tomb of Annihilation Dice Tin and Dice, an Ultra PRO Dungeons & Dragons character folio, and a convention exclusive Tomb of Annihilation Dice Bag.**

Weekend Warrior

10-Hour Adventure (two 5-hour sessions over the weekend)

Looking for the ultimate adventuring experience? We’ve got you covered. This slot includes 10 hours of play through our newest adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, with one 5-hour slot on the first day and another 5-hour slot continuing your adventure on the second day. Just as in the D&D Experience, you will have an experienced DM both days, and will earn unique rewards for your character by playing in this two-day adventure. Every player will also receive a copy of our new adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, the Tomb of Annihilation Dice Tin and Dice, an Ultra PRO Dungeons & Dragons character folio, and a convention exclusive Tomb of Annihilation Dice Bag.**

As part of this event, you will also have a special encounter with one of our celebrity DMs, which include Mike Mearls, Chris Lindsay and more!

**Copies of Tomb of Annihilation and the Tomb of Annihilation Dice Tin and Dice, the Ultra PRO Dungeons & Dragons character folio, and the convention exclusive Tomb of Annihilation Dice Bag are available while supplies last.
D&D Experience and Batiri Goblin

Visit the & D&D Experience on the main floor of HASCON and step into the Jungles of Chult. You’ll even have a chance to meet one of the regions infamous Batiri goblins, played by artist, costumer and prop-maker Dani Hartel.
D&D Monster Building

Join us Saturday September 9th and see what it’s like to be part of the team that makes Dungeons & Dragons. Mike Mearls, Manager of the D&D Design Team, leads us through the process we use when creating new D&D monsters. With help and feedback from the audience, we’ll create a new monster that you can all use in your own games at home!
D&D My Little Pony Dice Tin

Adventuring with your friends can be hard when you don’t have the right set of gear. But don’t worry! We on the D&D team worked with our friends from My Little Pony to make sure you have the most magical dice for your D&D games with this HASCON exclusive.

Includes:

A beautiful full metal container with the My Little Pony crew all geared up for a D&D adventure.
A full set of ten sparkly pink dice, inspired by Pinky Pie, including: 1d20, 1d12, 2d10, 1d8, 4d6, 1d4.

We have all sorts of D&D happening at HASCON and we don’t want you to miss any of it, so head over and buy your tickets now! And don’t miss the events and booths from Magic: The Gathering, Star Wars, Marvel, and more!

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/du ... ons-hascon

Anyone here going to HASCON? I guess this is why WotC was absent from GenCon50?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: D&D at HASCON, Sept 8-10, 2017

Postby RobJN » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 pm

The D&D team has said that GenCon is just too big, and they're going to smaller, cozier cons so they can get a little better signal-to-noise ratio, and to actually play some D&D.

That being said, I wish I lived closer, 'cause HasCon looks like it might be sort of fun, and it's about time they started leveraging the other IPs together.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:52 pm

RobJN wrote:The D&D team has said that GenCon is just too big, and they're going to smaller, cozier cons so they can get a little better signal-to-noise ratio, and to actually play some D&D.

That being said, I wish I lived closer, 'cause HasCon looks like it might be sort of fun, and it's about time they started leveraging the other IPs together.

GenCon is indeed pretty big. It does seem like a general trend too with Disney reducing its presence at ComicCon while promoting its own conventions like d23, Star Wars Celebrations etc.

I am curious to see how HasCon turns out. Maybe it can work to strengthen D&D's position within the Hasbro strategy? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:04 pm

C'mon. Who doesn't want Pinky Pie dice? :D
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:15 pm

RobJN wrote:C'mon. Who doesn't want Pinky Pie dice? :D

:oops: :oops: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

yeah... :lol:

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ghendar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:30 pm

RobJN wrote:The D&D team has said that GenCon is just too big, and they're going to smaller, cozier cons so they can get a little better signal-to-noise ratio, and to actually play some D&D.

That's pretty sad. The con that everyone went to for D&D will no longer have the presence of the D&D publisher. Bullshit

I had no idea about Hascon. I'm pretty close to it but I have other plans for that weekend
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby RobJN » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:03 pm

ghendar wrote:

That's pretty sad. The con that everyone went to for D&D will no longer have the presence of the D&D publisher. Bullshit

I had no idea about Hascon. I'm pretty close to it but I have other plans for that weekend

To be fair, the D&D design team is still pretty small, and they can only go to so many cons per year. Plus, the 5e product releases fall outside the normal "get-it-ready-by-Gen-Con" cycle (hitting closer to September/November's holiday season), so there isn't the push to go to pimp the product that drives many other publishers.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Paizo have their own convention (and a UK version too). I guess that Hasbro could be copying the competition.

A D&D focused convention would be interesting because any third party traders that turn up would be selling D&D stuff (rather than stuff for Pathfinder or other games).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:59 am

Someone pointed out that the WotC article doesn't actually say where the convention is. The information is on the Hascon Travel page:
Travel at Hascon wrote:HASCON events will take place primarily at the Rhode Island Convention Center and the Dunkin’ Donuts Center, both located in the heart of Providence. You’ll discover that this capital city is a wonderful walking city, filled with historic and modern architecture, eclectic shopping, and award-winning dining. It offers a great public transportation system of buses and trolleys, plus a host of other types of accessible transportation including taxis, shuttles, and pedicabs.

For information on Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (“RIPTA”) fares and how to obtain a pass, click below.
Check out RIPTA Fares & Passes
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 am

Looking at the Hascon Schedule it would appear that they are running just four D&D adventures at Hascon, and you have to pay for each one:

* = Plus Rhode Island Sales Tax. (I can't stand people who advertise prices before tax, instead of the actual price that customers pay.)

If you add on the 3-day ticket price of $165 USD (one day tickets are also available at $60 USD) the cost of doing one or both of the big adventures seems pretty high, but you do get Tomb of Annihilation and some swag that you might be able to throw onto eBay to try to get some of your money back (assuming you don't want to keep it).

I can't tell if the "**" on the $100 (The Dungeons & Dragons Experience) game means that people get the same "special encounter with a celebrity DM" thing that is mentioned in the $200 (Weekend Warrior) game. :?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby JamesMishler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:07 am

"I can't stand people who advertise prices before tax, instead of the actual price that customers pay"

The US has a very different way of doing taxes and MSRPs than they do in the UK and Europe; it is generally completely opposite, a bizarro-world for Europeans...

In the US, pretty much everywhere only the MSRP or list price is listed, with taxes being added on separately.

Two main factors in this...

One, every state, county, and municipality can have different tax rates. Thus, big corporations can't really put those costs in their base prices, as they have to be figured out locally.

Two, the trend in the US to go with the $x.95 on prices, both as a way to cut down on till-dipping and as a marketing scheme to make the cost seem less... and yes, that does work. I've seen people pay $29.95 for something and say, "oh, it was only $20..."

There's also the "we hate taxes" crowd, far smaller than the above, who like to sock it to the customer so they know the extra costs are those evil, money-grubbing gub'mints... dang revenoors!

The only places you generally find "tax included in the price" are online and at flea markets at the like... which much of the time means no taxes are, in fact, being paid...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:21 am

JamesMishler wrote:The US has a very different way of doing taxes and MSRPs than they do in the UK and Europe; it is generally completely opposite, a bizarro-world for Europeans...

Bizarro-world indeed. Thanks for the explanation. :D
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Morfie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:06 am

The Rhode Island (RI) state sales tax rate is currently 7%. Rhode Island is one of the few states with a single, statewide sales tax.

It appears other states sales tax can vary by county, and it can change on a yearly basis!
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby JamesMishler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 am

Morfie wrote:
The Rhode Island (RI) state sales tax rate is currently 7%. Rhode Island is one of the few states with a single, statewide sales tax.

It appears other states sales tax can vary by county, and it can change on a yearly basis!

Sales taxes can vary by:

State
County
Municipality
Specific Area Within a Municipality

Not to mention sales taxes vary based on kind...

Most states do not tax food staples... some do.
Most states tax "luxury foods," i.e., prepared foods... some do not.
Some states tax different things at different rates.
Some municipalities tax different things at different rates.
Some municipalities have "development areas" or such where, within a specific portion of the municipality, or only certain types of goods and/or services are taxed... this is often to pay for things like arenas, ball parks convention centers, libraries, etc.

For example, one city might work with its county to tax all hotel stays within x miles of a new arena a percentage or even flat tax, to help pay for the cost of the arena. Thus, neighboring hotels within the same municipality might have different tax rates...

Yeah, this is one of the reasons tax accountants have a steady business in the US... not to even mention the various income taxes!
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Boneguard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:17 am

Canada is in a similar boat, we only put the MSRP as we have:

Federal tax;
Provincial/Territory tax;
Gasoline has another additional special Federal, Provincial and (in some cities) Municipal taxes;
Tobacco products also has an additional Federal and Provincial excise tax added;
Some hotel, resort, high volume tourist spots with have a special tourist tax.

And I'm sure I forget a few other special taxes.

(Not counting, Federal and Provincial income tax, nor Municipal taxes or school taxes).
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Return to The Tabard Inn