[TV] Star Trek: Discovery

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

[TV] Star Trek: Discovery

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Anyone watching this? I just realized I can get it at Netflix here in Norway. I was never a huge Trekkie though. Is it worth getting into? Some of the criticism, such as visuals resembling Kelvin Timeline in spite of being set in original timeline, or having a chick with a dude's name are not things likely to bother me. I am more interested in whether it is a good show. Thoughts from Piazza-folk? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [TV] Star Trek: Discovery

Postby Saunatonttu » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Yeah, I liked it... Darn good production values for television, pretty neat take on Klingons with the holy war thematics and "return to glory!" and a great credits sequence. :) And I liked the idea of the first two episodes being a backstory/prequel for the actual series. Kinda worked even as a thing of its own, but as seed planting for the series, the story probably works much better. I'm also in lucky enough a situation, that i get the series from Netflix right away and I'd be paying for Netflix anyway. :)

It has potential to become m #2 favourite Trek. After Kirk, and ahead of DS9.

"We come in peace..." :)
Surfing's the Source, man...
Saunatonttu
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 pm

They have chosen to not show this on conventional TV, so I am sitting this one out for now.

If they ever decide to sell the rights to transmit this to the BBC, or another free-to-view UK channel, I will check this out.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 pm

My buddy the Hamburgler made it possible for me to experience the first two episodes, albeit in a somehow distorted fashion. Disregarding that, the show was pretty okay. Without getting into specifics that would start an argument that would end with me getting banned, I went in assuming that it would be terrible, and came out pleasantly surprised, although it's still deeply flawed and riddled with a lot of problems, which might end up getting worse before they get better, but I'm hopeful that the show might eventually turn out to be decent.

The fact that this two-part "pilot episode" (which unusually has two different names for its halves, but that's really the only way in which it radically differs from "Caretaker" or "Encounter at Farpoint" in this respect) features a different ship and captain than the actual show, and that neither one of the latter is even teased until the commercial for upcoming episodes, is rather bizarre, but sort of interesting. The Klingon redesign is kind of neat but also kind of garbage, and the fact that entire scenes are spoken in Klingon with English subtitles is pretty painful. I badly want to know more about the species of aliens played by Doug Jones. Overall, while it's basically impossible that this could ever grow to become a new "Next Generation" or "Deep Space Nine" for me, it may eventually manage to be worthy of favorable comparisons to Voyager and even The Original Series. It's already better than the first two seasons of Enterprise (which pretty much everyone agrees were awful; opinions diverge as to whether the next two seasons were sufficient to somewhat salvage the overall show); I'm not going to sign up for any services to see it, but I can see a distant possible future where I buy the show on DVD, regarding it as having earned a place in the franchise's canon.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 pm

Saunatonttu wrote:Yeah, I liked it... Darn good production values for television, pretty neat take on Klingons with the holy war thematics and "return to glory!" and a great credits sequence. :) And I liked the idea of the first two episodes being a backstory/prequel for the actual series. Kinda worked even as a thing of its own, but as seed planting for the series, the story probably works much better. I'm also in lucky enough a situation, that i get the series from Netflix right away and I'd be paying for Netflix anyway. :)

It has potential to become m #2 favourite Trek. After Kirk, and ahead of DS9.

"We come in peace..." :)

That is high praise! I think I will give this a shot :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 pm

I am more than likely to sit this out until a complete series blu-ray set is released...and then I may not even buy it if it is critically panned. Everything after Nemesis has left me feeling meh over anything new with Trek.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Saunatonttu » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:18 pm

3rd episode was quite good - we got the rest of the new main cast, the new ship, and a pretty semi-decent side-trip to "spess horror" land. The new wartime captain seems cool, and has potential. And having

Tom Petty just died while I was typing this. :(
Saunatonttu
Ogre

Postby shesheyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 am

I liked the 2 part «prologue» and the 1st episode with the Discovery. Felt like watching a motion picture. Its cool that the hero is female, afro-american and somewhat of a anti-hero. A good change from the soporific Voyager and Enterprise. I'm hoping it won't turn into the usual «reset at the end of episode» format.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Saunatonttu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Heh, so they finally dropped the F-word in Star Trek :D

Anyway, this week what we got out of it, was a tragically bad-ass bit of backstory on Cap'n Lorca - "I blew them up..." and the rather needless, but still cool, namedroppy cameo of Harry Mudd - will anything come from that? Dunno. But yeah, the crew seems to have more or less set now, and I think there will be quite good interplay between them in the future. My faves, so far, are the Cap and Cadet Tilly.
Saunatonttu
Ogre

Postby willpell » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Saunatonttu wrote:Heh, so they finally dropped the F-word in Star Trek :D

This is the happiest day of my life. :twisted: :mrgreen: :geek:
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Saunatonttu wrote:Heh, so they finally dropped the F-word in Star Trek :D
I'm not watching, but this is disappointing to hear. I always like that franchise up until now has kept profanity out of it.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Saunatonttu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:34 am

It was the best thing Star Trek has ever done, that didn't involve Shatner. :)
Saunatonttu
Ogre

Return to The Tabard Inn