[Movie] Blade Runner 2049 (Spoilers?)

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

[Movie] Blade Runner 2049 (Spoilers?)

Postby Havard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:55 pm

OMG! This movie was awesome! :)

Anyone else see it yet?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Movie] Blade Runner 2049 (Spoilers?)

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:43 am

I didn't even realised they had made it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 pm

I have to say I loved this movie.

If you like the first one, I think you will enjoy this one as well, but you also don't have to have seen the original to enjoy this movie.

This is also the perfect way to handle older properties considered for reboots or sequels. The movie excellently manages to avoid ruining the original. It could easily have destroyed some of the mystery of the original by explaining things that didn't need explaining. I also like that it is a sequel rather than a reboot, but also uses the original more as a backdrop to a new independent story instead of being a direct continuation. Some storylines are continued, but the main story of the movie is only somewhat connected to the things that were the focus of the first one.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:48 pm

It its as good as it sounds, thats how they need to do all the reboots. Someone needs to pass a law....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:23 pm

hehe, indeed!

I was just thinking about Robocop and Total Recall. Two classic 80s sci fi movies that were rebooted in recent years, resulting in completely forgettable experiences.

What if Total Recall had been given a similar treatment? 30 years later, a different guy with possibly fake memories heading to Mars and discover if the atmosphere thing worked? Maybe the mutants are still being repressed by the corporation and maybe there are other secrets that the alien race left behind on Mars to explore? Maybe Arnold's old character was the one who gave the new protagonist his fake memories? I dont know if we need Arnold in the movie, but keeping with BR2049, we should establish that the events of the original movie took place.

Blade Runner probably raised bigger questions and touched upon deeper issues than the two movies I mention above, so maybe it would be more difficult to give them the same treatment, but at least I think it would have made them better than what we got :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:48 pm

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby shesheyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Saw the movie this afternoon. Excellent movie. Its rare that a hollywood movie takes its time to tell its tale. A good counterpoint to the hyper fast editing and endless (useless) combat scenes genre in vogue these days.

Let hope Villeneuve's «Dune» will be as good or better.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:43 am

Unless I missed something, Blade Runner 2049 left it ambiguous whether Deckard was, in fact, also a Replicant, and also whether or not Rachael was bound by the lifespan limitations that Replicants originally had (as the original cut's voiceover suggested). Jared Leto's character suggests that Deckard was engineered to love Rachael as part of the ongoing theme of whether or not Replicants have free will (they do, but they're encouraged to believe they don't), but he's not necessarily a reliable source. Jared Leto's character thinks that Deckard was a crucial part of the puzzle of how Rachael was able to reproduce, but honestly his theory seems sketchy to me. Why would Rachael be engineered with the ability to bear children if only Deckard could activate it? Too many holes in that plan.

My favorite part of the movie was when Deckard rescued Ryan Gosling's character from cyberpunks in his flying car, looked directly at the camera, and said "Why blade run when you can blade fly?"

I didn't care for the post-credits scene where Adam Driver shot Deckard and screamed, "I will kill you in every universe!" before jumping through a portal while humming the Indiana Jones theme. Seemed ominous.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Interesting article with Denis Villeneuve :
https://www.cnet.com/news/blade-runner- ... interview/
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Haven't seen the movie yet, but there is an anime prequel on Crunchyroll that maybe you'll like. And is free.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/blade-runner ... 022-748417
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby grodog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:58 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:My favorite part of the movie was when Deckard rescued Ryan Gosling's character from cyberpunks in his flying car, looked directly at the camera, and said "Why blade run when you can blade fly?"

I didn't care for the post-credits scene where Adam Driver shot Deckard and screamed, "I will kill you in every universe!" before jumping through a portal while humming the Indiana Jones theme. Seemed ominous.

:P :lol:

Allan.
grodog
Orc

Postby Ashtagon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:13 am

Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:07 am

I really enjoyed it!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Saunatonttu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Saw it a second time now, and with all the plotliney stuff not distracting me, I could just get into the visuals and sounds of it this time even better than on the first watching. It really is a thing of beauty - a lot of the shots are pure art-beret quality, and pretty much the most visually amazing stuff we really have seen in "genre" films in a very, very long time... Fury Road was also a marvel on visual styling and shot composition, but it didn't go out of its way to move away from the shots serving the purpose of the film (before the Black/Chrome version, which really pushes it into the art-film category too)... here we have some shots (especially the Vegas statues stuff) that just raise the bar what can be done in modern scifi/fantasy films quite a lot :)

Before seeing hearing the film, I was quite worried that Villeneuve might not have enough control on Hans Zimmer and his usual BOOMBASTIC style would drip into the soundtrack, but even the second time it all worked. Faithful to style Vangelis brought into the first film, but still not a cheap/direct ripoff. It's very fitting, with a twist of Zimmer, and when they flow into the Tears in Rain track loaned from orginal, it feels like it's still the same darn thing.

Anyway, yeah... one last random point that I truly realized: Batista gave a really good peformanace at the start - and its one that gets much more meaning on a repeat view when you know the character's real place in the narrative. First time, you just think he's a Bond Opener Heavy, and then he's gone from the story. When the plot gets back to him, at least I was so immersed in the film itself, I had no time to reflect on the beginning at all.

It's very nearly, if not truly, a perfect film :)
Surfing's the Source, man...
Saunatonttu
Ogre

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:49 pm

I saw it at the cinema yesterday. I don't hate it nor do I love it. It's been more than ten years since I've seen the original. When Blade Runner 2049 hits blu-ray I will buy it and marathon both back-to-back.

Here's a link to my review on Letterboxd.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to The Tabard Inn