Novel series: "Spellmonger"

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Novel series: "Spellmonger"

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:21 pm

can't recommend this highly enough :)
fantasy, lot about magic and like a few other authors I like, has created his own magic system with great depth

you may think goblins aren't much for being the "big bads"....until you read this, they are REALLY evil nasty SOBs!

very bawdy, British style language and humour, so may not be for everyone
some of the lines crack me up, like, the goddess of love and sex is "Ishi", so one of the oaths the soldiers/warmages use is:
"By Ishi's soggy tw*t!"
buhaha! :mrgreen:

lot of humour, but also tragedy and horror

Elves...are different.

I LOVE how the series does something I believe in in our universe and used a lot in my stories/games:
there's aways things out there much MUCH more powerful than you (or the BBEG who thinks he's so smart and then he pisses of something even worse...)

really good use of magic to build a better society/wealth/trade as prejudice and abuse by a type of "Inquisition" gets smashed down, I like this because D&D novels/settings usually utterly FAIL to consider this

some incredible humour, least as far as I am concerned, bit where the mountain...and the sea mage...OMFG, I was *buckled* with laughter for about 15 minutes, hahaha!!

great battles and INTELLIGENT use of magic in them

really great world building, milleiu etc, makes it a very believable place with all the feudal systems and politics there of

not "grimy" I HATE the fashion for "grime" and ugly sneering crap in fiction that's been going on for some years, yes sometimes very awful stuff goes on, but it's over all, uplifting
I read to ESCAPE reality, not bloody wallow in it! :p

definitely worth a read :)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Re: Novel series: "Spellmonger"

Postby Chimpman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Alright, I'll bite. I'm intrigued by this.

Went to Amazon to check it out ,and it looks like there are at least 10 novels. How far have you gotten into the series? Is it complete, or is the author still writing books?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:09 pm

read all 10 so far plus an anthology of short stories and another one related
very large and great volume of work
please note these are LARGE novels, they aren't the common "shorter" novels seen so often in Kindle fantasy series

this is about 1/3rd of the author's projected "arc"! "Necromancer" is end of the first "segment"
next year though he's just doing clean up of novels, some short stories and preparing for next arc

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Sounds interesting. I may give it a whirl.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Sounds interesting. I may give it a whirl.

Well worth trying it bud, if it suits your style of writing :)

Another part of the tales I love is how he makes the Feudal system of the Human realms so detailed and important part of the story, the rights of obligation etc are so complex but vital to the society and believable, creating a very rich milieu and all kind of consequences and actions flow from it that wouldn't be expected in our modern world

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:Another part of the tales I love is how he makes the Feudal system of the Human realms so detailed and important part of the story, the rights of obligation etc are so complex but vital to the society and believable, creating a very rich milieu and all kind of consequences and actions flow from it that wouldn't be expected in our modern world
Now that, that right there, has me sold.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:00 pm

TV Tropes have an article on The Spellmonger Series.

Terry Mancour said he is working on a tabletop RPG of Spellmonger on his blog:
Terry Mancour's Author's Blog wrote:5) I'm also very excited to be developing Spellmonger in an RPG format, in response to both huge fan request and my own selfish desire to roll dice. This is still in the formative stages, but I'd consider working with an indy RPG publisher on the project. Tell your geeky, dice-rolling friends.

He also said, in the same post, that he was working on an "Atlas of the Five Duchies". That would obviously work for tabletop fans, as much as it would for novel fans. (He should hire Anna Meyer and get her to do the map as a 3D model. :) )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:49 pm

That is awesome news, Big Mac! Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the RPG.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:That is awesome news, Big Mac! Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the RPG.

I dropped a comment, on his blog, letting him know that you all were having this discussion.

I'm not sure how long it would take for him to get the tabletop version created, but I don't think I'll be putting out a call for an icon version of the Spellmonger for a bespoke Spellmonger forum in the next year. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Tabard Inn