#1 Crowdfunded Comic Book project of all time

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

#1 Crowdfunded Comic Book project of all time

Post by NPCDave » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:20 pm

...is ending in a few hours.

https://freestartr.com/project/althero/

The people behind it ARE controversial, but they deliver quality stories. I have backed it and I am looking forward to seeing what comes of it.

One of the goals unlocked is an RPG which hasn't yet been started, and the alternate earth modern day setting is interesting. In this world the Nazis were stopped much earlier and the first atomic weapon was used against the Soviet Union rather than Japan.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: #1 Crowdfunded Comic Book project of all time

Post by willpell » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:29 am

What's controversial about them?

Saunatonttu
Ogre

Post by Saunatonttu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:06 am

#1 at what exactly?
Surfing's the Source, man...

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:10 pm

#1 in the sense that it just set a record for the largest amount of money raised via crowdfunding for a new comic series/books.

I haven't exhaustively checked to see if that is true, but if you know of one that raised more I would be curious to know what that is.

As for controversy, you can get hints of it just reading about the project and looking through the comments at the link.

Saunatonttu
Ogre

Post by Saunatonttu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:08 pm

#1 in the sense that it just set a record for the largest amount of money raised via crowdfunding for a new comic series/books.
Did they lie or were they mistaken is the interesting question.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Wow. How does a project with art like that get over 200K in pledges? This reminds me of some of the indy stuff I saw back in the 90s. I'm speechless
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Saunatonttu
Ogre

Post by Saunatonttu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:42 pm

ghendar wrote:Wow. How does a project with art like that get over 200K in pledges? This reminds me of some of the indy stuff I saw back in the 90s. I'm speechless
Well, Chuck Dixon can be very good when he's at the top of his game and his name might have dragged in a few random stragglers. But one can easily assume that most of the crowdfunding comes as a political statement.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:46 am

Looks very cool, glad to see it got funded! Will be on the lookout for these when they hit the shelves!

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu May 31, 2018 2:54 am

There has been a lot of interesting developments so I decided to post an update.

First, another comic book Kickstarter came along and cleared over $300K
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jawb ... phic-novel#/

These are not the same individuals as Alt-Hero, and they now have what I believe to be the #1 Crowdfunded project for a brand new comic book, as in one that is launching a new IP. My thread title is incorrect since there are a few other even larger crowdfunded comic book projects that re-launched existing IP which had a pre-established fanbase.

With respect to Alt-Hero, the first comic book is out, along with several others of the new imprint Arkhaven.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-al ... ding=UTF-8

They also have a second imprint Dark Legion comics
https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Typewrit ... 9527065518
https://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Dead-Reven ... B079KFSV5Y

The most impressive thing they have managed to accomplish is that they have bypassed Diamond Comic Distributors, which is the monopoly distributor for comic books. Up until this year, if you wanted to sell your comic books in comic book stores, you had to go through Diamond. Now that is no longer true.

Right now you can pick up Alt-Hero at Amazon and Barnes and Noble book stores. Comic book stores will soon be able to order the comics as well, although they will have to order from distributor Ingram Content Group, which most comic book retailers are not set up to do. But that will likely change as Alt-Hero and Jawbreakers establish themselves.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 am

I would argue that that is not the highest amount raised for a crowd-funded comic book. Admittedly it depends on how one defines "crowd funded comic book" but the Kickstarter for Order of the Stick book reprints (so they were crowd funded and they were comic books) was the first non-technology Kickstarter to go over $1M...
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Return to “The Tabard Inn”