NaNoWriMo 2017

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

NaNoWriMo 2017

Postby dulsi » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Not too late to join in the craziness. NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. It takes place in November. You try to write 50,000 words as a first draft for a novel. That is 1,667 words a day. The idea is that too many people say they have a story idea but don't get around to doing it. This pushes you to just do it. You don't have time to research things. You don't even have time to consider names for characters. Just put something down and move on. Fix it when you get to editing.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Re: NaNoWriMo 2017

Postby Big Mac » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:06 pm

I don't think I can do it this year, but I'd love to follow everyone else that is doing it.

I wonder if Sable Aradia is doing a cowboy novel this time. That seemed to be what she was working on last time I caught up with her.

Have you got an idea yet Dulsi?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boddynock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Actually yes! I am in the workshop of mystery and imagination to come up with a 50k story. I actually a little earlier than yesterday and certainly worked a little bit more right at midnight November 1st.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Big Mac » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:15 pm

What are you working on Boddynock? Is it a novel about gnomes?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boddynock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Why yes, it does have a Gnome in it. "The Curst" is a fantasy novel about a so-called Curst. I got the idea after seeing the 2e picture of one of those fellows. Ever since a group of loggers have fell the trees of the Runewood, something now stirs to plague mortals. It is up to barbarian adventurer, her partner who is a gnome sorcerer, and a halfling sheriff from the nearby town terrorized by this creature to stop it. As far as the plot being perhaps rather stock, I've always been a fan of crime writer Raymond Chandler, who never minded plot, but cared more about characterization and style and I'm going into the story aiming for something self-contained without any need of this being part 1 of a trilogy or anything.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 am

Boddynock wrote:As far as the plot being perhaps rather stock, I've always been a fan of crime writer Raymond Chandler, who never minded plot, but cared more about characterization and style and I'm going into the story aiming for something self-contained without any need of this being part 1 of a trilogy or anything.

It sounds like a good enough plot to me. I don't recall reading a novel with a plot similar to that. If it reminds me superficially of anything, I'd be more tempted to compare it to a Quatermass story.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Bonetti » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Always. Well, not always, but I'm going for my fifth win this year. (Yeah, I know, I've been getting more scarce around The Piazza since my gaming group faded out, and my spare time shifted to year-round NaNo-inspired write-ins...)

Good luck to all the word-slingers!
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Can I write stuff in other languages? I mean, I can do this (I have an idea poking in my head from time to time), but 1,667 words a day in English will be quite the effort...
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby dulsi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:56 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Can I write stuff in other languages? I mean, I can do this (I have an idea poking in my head from time to time), but 1,667 words a day in English will be quite the effort...

Of course. The goal of nanowrimo is to get people to write that novel idea they have in their head. It doesn't matter what language.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:03 am

Thanks!

Then, I will have to make up for the three days lost...
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby timemrick » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:44 pm

My job is currently requiring too much overtime to commit to something like this, but I will be using what free time I can to do research (reading and playing a new RPG system) in preparation for a future game writing project.

Apparently there is also a group doing National Game Design Month, or #NaGaDeMon. They get bonus points for the killer abbreviation!
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:01 pm

Bonetti wrote:Always. Well, not always, but I'm going for my fifth win this year. (Yeah, I know, I've been getting more scarce around The Piazza since my gaming group faded out, and my spare time shifted to year-round NaNo-inspired write-ins...)

Great to see you back. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo. :)

Zeromaru X wrote:Thanks!

Then, I will have to make up for the three days lost...

The other thing to bear in mind is that NaNoWriMo is about you finishing your first draft of a novel. You don't need to have it ready for publication. The idea is to push through and get the entire novel finished. After NaNoWriMo is over, you can then go back and tidy things up.

And if you ever wanted to translate your novel into English, that would be something you could do much later.

timemrick wrote:Apparently there is also a group doing National Game Design Month, or #NaGaDeMon. They get bonus points for the killer abbreviation!

That sounds a bit like IDIOM: Int'l Dungeon In One Month. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dulsi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:20 pm

My editor ate some of my words. Then my hard drive started to fail. I had the choice of hoping it survived until Wed or buying a slightly slower one last night. I bought the slower one but spent the night installing everything. Hopefully the month gets better.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 am

dulsi wrote:My editor ate some of my words. Then my hard drive started to fail. I had the choice of hoping it survived until Wed or buying a slightly slower one last night. I bought the slower one but spent the night installing everything. Hopefully the month gets better.

That sucks. But I'm glad you saved most of your data.

I actually had a hard-drive failure about 2 minutes before I was due be in AuldDragon's live-streamed Spelljammer show. :o (I had to do the entire show on my phone, while trying - in vein - to get my laptop to boot up.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm

dulsi wrote:My editor ate some of my words. Then my hard drive started to fail. I had the choice of hoping it survived until Wed or buying a slightly slower one last night. I bought the slower one but spent the night installing everything. Hopefully the month gets better.
Jeeze, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with things getting better and looking forward to seeing your success with NaNoWriMo.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:07 pm

... are the stars trying to tell you something? :shock:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:14 pm

RobJN wrote:

:lol: LMAO.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby dulsi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 pm

RobJN wrote:

My signature on the nanowrimo forums is: "I don't give excuses for nano. I give word counts."
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 pm

dulsi wrote:My signature on the nanowrimo forums is: "I don't give excuses for nano. I give word counts."
:lol: Hahahahah. :lol: That is great!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:50 am

Big Mac wrote:Great to see you back. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo. :)

Thanks! It's going well, I'm (barely) on track -- but my goal is a bit higher than 50k.
dulsi wrote:My signature on the nanowrimo forums is: "I don't give excuses for nano. I give word counts."

Perfect!
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby RobJN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 am

But.... one could conceivably add excuses to one's word count..... :geek:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Great to see you back. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo. :)

Thanks! It's going well, I'm (barely) on track -- but my goal is a bit higher than 50k.

Are you trying to do all of that within November, or are you going to aim to do 50k during November and continue adding words during December?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 am

RobJN wrote:

But.... one could conceivably add excuses to one's word count..... :geek:
Hahahahah!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that. :P
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby timemrick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 am

As I said above, I'm not doing NaNoWriMo, but I did just finish writing my blog post for next week. Not counting the converted monsters that I posted the first two weeks of November (I've had those in reserve for a while, just in case I ran out of time like I did), or the work I did on my AGE errata pages (which I started last month), I now have written two full blog posts this month, and added a couple paragraphs to a future column, for a total of 3,264 words. Which isn't too shabby considering just how little free time I've had this month...
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby dulsi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 pm

I have never been at par on day 18 like this year. I've beat my wordiest day twice. I also think I've probably played more video games this year than previous nanowrimos.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Next

Return to The Tabard Inn