NaNoWriMo 2017

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: NaNoWriMo 2017

Postby shesheyan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Not doing NaNoWriNo but I'm working on a RPG system tentatively called TEN. Wrote about 2000 words in the last 2 weeks. Hoping to keep the same pace for the rest of November and in December.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Bonetti » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:39 am

Big Mac wrote:
Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Great to see you back. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo. :)

Thanks! It's going well, I'm (barely) on track -- but my goal is a bit higher than 50k.

Are you trying to do all of that within November, or are you going to aim to do 50k during November and continue adding words during December?

Minimum of 83k for November, ideally around 100k. I'm within reach, which is to say 3k/day will reach it. And I know I can do that, I've done that so far.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:20 pm

shesheyan wrote:Not doing NaNoWriNo but I'm working on a RPG system tentatively called TEN. Wrote about 2000 words in the last 2 weeks. Hoping to keep the same pace for the rest of November and in December.

Sounds intriguing. I hope you will drop a topic...or ten :-P after it is finished.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Bonetti wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Great to see you back. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo. :)

Thanks! It's going well, I'm (barely) on track -- but my goal is a bit higher than 50k.

Are you trying to do all of that within November, or are you going to aim to do 50k during November and continue adding words during December?

Minimum of 83k for November, ideally around 100k. I'm within reach, which is to say 3k/day will reach it. And I know I can do that, I've done that so far.

Let us know what day you break the 50k barrier.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Big Mac wrote:Let us know what day you break the 50k barrier.

I don't know why, but that makes me think of this:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby dulsi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Bonetti broke 50k on day 13. His current word count in his sig has a link to his stats where you can see. I've reached my usual problem in nano. I'm at 44.5k. The villain is dead. I have one more scene with a lesser villain I need to finish up that I skipped over. Maybe a little bit of wrap-up. I don't think that will be 5.5k.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:21 pm

dulsi wrote:

Bonetti broke 50k on day 13. His current word count in his sig has a link to his stats where you can see. I've reached my usual problem in nano. I'm at 44.5k. The villain is dead. I have one more scene with a lesser villain I need to finish up that I skipped over. Maybe a little bit of wrap-up. I don't think that will be 5.5k.

Thanks Dulsi. I am having a bit of trouble seeing stuff at the moment, as my laptop stopped working last week.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Bonetti » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:
dulsi wrote:

Thanks Dulsi. I am having a bit of trouble seeing stuff at the moment, as my laptop stopped working last week.

Earliest 50k I've done. If things go really well, I'll hit 100k in this evening's writing (at 95k as of last night). If not, definitely during the write-in tomorrow morning. Yay, local events!

Dulsi: My word count is actually everything in the project after November 1. That includes snippets that I'm not sure where fit (but scenes that just popped into my head as something cool to write), and places where a plot thread occurred to me so I wrote up all the pieces and stuck it in an unrelated place, and writing up things that take place "off screen" so I know what happened.

For instance, the MC's husband has a whole file in the Scrivener project, which let me play out several vignettes from his point of view (and which affects how he behaves in the main work). They'll never make it into the final manuscript, but they were a necessary guide for me as I was figuring out motivations and where he was, mentally and emotionally, when he returned from the trip.

I also came up with a whole plot thread involving the neighbor's cat (which gets animated by a necromancer), really late in the project, so I wrote the linking scenes off in a separate file. It'll be edited in during revision.

Basically, my attitude in NaNo is "I'll fix it in post" (that is to say, when I go back to revise), and I write some stuff out of order. January's going to be some pretty serious hack & slash on the resulting wordpile.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby dulsi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Bonetti wrote:Dulsi: My word count is actually everything in the project after November 1. That includes snippets that I'm not sure where fit (but scenes that just popped into my head as something cool to write), and places where a plot thread occurred to me so I wrote up all the pieces and stuck it in an unrelated place, and writing up things that take place "off screen" so I know what happened.

I've done similar sort of things sometimes after the fact. For my first novel, two of the characters were captured or dead before the start due to exploring a pre-apocalypse underground installation. You don't find out if they are alive until the end. Since I didn't have enough 50k when the story ended, I went back and wrote a scene with one of those characters being interviewed by captors. I didn't like it and felt it would ruin the story to know what happened early on so I wouldn't use it in a final cut of the novel. This year I wrote one scene twice. The first time the main character took the lead in the scene. I realized it would work better if he was defeated in the scene so a different character had to drive the action. The original scene is stored in my deleted book in the plume-creator project.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Bonetti » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:32 pm

I was reading a book on revision not too long ago, and it talked about making multiple attempts at scenes when they're not working. One thing I've learned from NaNoWriMo is word generation, which makes me a lot more willing to sit down and take one or two separate takes on a scene. It's a couple hours, an evening, not a week.

I've got a secret that the MC is guarding, something that won't come out until a later installment. I wrote the reveal scene and post-reveal confrontation last night, actually, because I wanted to have a draft of what it would likely look like. It helps me set up a near miss that's coming soon as currently plotted (and there's already been one earlier).

Not sure that's helpful, and I don't know if you're doing a series, but that's one thing to consider to bridge the remaining 5k. Another possibility is "extras". If you're looking at publication, long-term, one of the things that might help with author list signups or reader visits is having bonus material. Ilona Andrews tends to write first-person, and they offer POV vignettes from the other lead (Hidden Legacy's Rogan, Kate Daniels' Curran) to give an alternate take on key relationship scenes. Brandon Sanderson offers deleted scenes. Seanan McGuire offers tie-in stories.

I left room in my Scrivener project to do flashbacks and short stories if I ran out of main story, but so far I haven't needed it.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby dulsi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:10 pm

My current novel is not for publication. The idea was to make a computer rpg game using the concept. Alas I haven't had the time to do that. I figured nano would allow me to flesh out the storyline which I could then use for the computer game.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Bonetti » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 pm

That's a good use for NaNo, too.

I've generated a few trunk novels via November :-) Only this year's and last year's are likely to actually get any real polish in the future.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby timemrick » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:20 am

With the blog I posted today, and a future one I started, my !NaNo total is up to 4.5K. :lol:
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:05 am

dulsi wrote:My current novel is not for publication. The idea was to make a computer rpg game using the concept. Alas I haven't had the time to do that. I figured nano would allow me to flesh out the storyline which I could then use for the computer game.

That's an interesting way to do things. Is this something you have done before?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dulsi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:
dulsi wrote:My current novel is not for publication. The idea was to make a computer rpg game using the concept. Alas I haven't had the time to do that. I figured nano would allow me to flesh out the storyline which I could then use for the computer game.

That's an interesting way to do things. Is this something you have done before?

No. First novel was a Gamma World story. Second novel was set in .hack like world I created for Worlds Within Worlds. Third and fourth novels were set in a Harvesters like world. Fifth unfinished novel is a sequel to the first and set in Gamma World. So this is the first time I've written something with the plan of using it in a computer rpg.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Previous

Return to The Tabard Inn