Tolkien TV Series in the works

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Tolkien TV Series in the works

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:42 am

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Re: Tolkien TV Series in the works

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 am

Falconer wrote:Amazon has dropped an official press release.
Amazon today announced it has acquired the global television rights to The Lord of the Rings, based on the celebrated fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien, with a multi-season commitment. The upcoming Amazon Prime Original will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.… Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series.
Lots of news here. An adaptation of LotR but set before FotR — if taken literally, one might assume the show to be based on the Appendices. There are a lot of interesting stories in the Appendices, but I would speculate that they will center it on Aragorn’s adventures in his youth, when, under the name of Thorongil, he fought for Gondor against the Corsairs of Umbar. Kind of a thin story to base a whole TV series on, but, if they really are going for a “Game of Thrones” type show—intrigue between human nations and houses, sex, sloooow buildup of the war, ignoring vast distances—then, they’ll want a humanocentric story based on Gondor but drawing in Arnor, Rohan, Umbar, Harad, and the Easterlings.
This is my take, and my hope, as well. There is a lot that can be done with the period between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. It's covered fairly well in the appendices, and it's 77 years between the two. Aragorn meets Gandalf in 2956, 15 years after The Hobbit. Then he engages in his 'errantries' in Rohan and Gondor, as well as his other adventures. There is a LOT going on, if handled well, it could be an excellent show.

I doubt they will handle it well.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”