Glen Cook’s ‘The Black Company’ Series Coming to TV

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

Moderator: Chimpman

Glen Cook’s ‘The Black Company’ Series Coming to TV

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Glen Cook’s ‘The Black Company’ Series Coming to Television; To Star Eliza Dushku:

https://www.tor.com/2017/04/24/glen-coo ... za-dushku/

Any fans here of the Black Company novels?

Anyone own the Green Ronin D20 Black Company Sourcebook? It is an excellent RPG sourcebook.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Glen Cook’s ‘The Black Company’ Series Coming to TV

Postby shesheyan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm

OMG! I'm a huge fan of The Black Company. Its perfect for serialization on TV.

The Black Company is the only fantasy series that captured my imagination as much as LOTR. But its completely different in tone and style. Book two and four are my favorites. The first three books (Books of the North) are very good. The fourth book (excellent) is the transition to the second trilogy - Books of the South. After that I kept reading to learn what happens to some of the characters, but its not as engaging.

And I like the writer. He is a grumpy working class man - worked at GM for years assembling cars - and not looking for fame or stardom.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby RobJN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 pm

"It's like Game of Thrones. But with more dirt. Lots more dirt."
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 am

This could be really good, actually. Very good choice for a tv series. Like a darker, fantasy "Sharpe's Rifles."

I read the first and possibly second as single novels, then later picked up (and believe I still own) an omnibus collection of the first two series. It's been so long since I read them, though, that I'm not entirely certain I finished it. I got all the way through the first series, I know that, but I don't recall if I completed the second. Time to revisit them!
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby timemrick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:48 am

I read and enjoyed the first book some years ago, but never got around to reading the rest of them. I may have to reconsider that now.

And I'm definitely enough of a Dushku fan to check out the TV series when it comes out. I liked her fine on Buffy, but Dollhouse really showcased her range--and she's certainly no stranger to morally ambiguous roles!
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Havard » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:31 am

timemrick wrote:And I'm definitely enough of a Dushku fan to check out the TV series when it comes out. I liked her fine on Buffy, but Dollhouse really showcased her range--and she's certainly no stranger to morally ambiguous roles!

Dushku ♥♥♥

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Havard wrote:Dushku ♥♥♥

-Havard

^ what Havard said.

Now if they would just get Joss to direct.....
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:05 am

Havard wrote:Anyone own the Green Ronin D20 Black Company Sourcebook? It is an excellent RPG sourcebook.

There was a discussion about the The Black Company Campaign Setting started back in 2009. I was wondering if we would get more topics, but so far, that seems to be it.

If the TV show goes ahead, and raises the profile of The Black Company, perhaps there will be a revival of the tabletop game. Maybe Green Ronin will publish a 5th Edition version of the setting. :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:00 am

RobJN wrote:"It's like Game of Thrones. But with more dirt. Lots more dirt."
Ugh. No. Can't stand Game of Thrones. I wish programs would stop trying to copy other programs.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
RobJN wrote:"It's like Game of Thrones. But with more dirt. Lots more dirt."
Ugh. No. Can't stand Game of Thrones. I wish programs would stop trying to copy other programs.

The Black Company was written way before Games of Thrones. And while its true that its gritty and rough it has nothing to do with GOT. The best analogy for TBC imho is the Vietnam War/Saving Private Ryan. The series follows a group of mercenaries grunts embroiled in far more than they bargained for at the beginning of the first book... as in jumping out the fire into the frying pan !
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:08 pm

shesheyan wrote:The Black Company was written way before Games of Thrones. And while its true that its gritty and rough it has nothing to do with GOT. The best analogy for TBC imho is the Vietnam War/Saving Private Ryan. The series follows a group of mercenaries grunts embroiled in far more than they bargained for at the beginning of the first book... as in jumping out the fire into the frying pan !
Hmm...very interesting. I'll definitely give it a chance when it drops.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:21 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
shesheyan wrote:The Black Company was written way before Games of Thrones. And while its true that its gritty and rough it has nothing to do with GOT. The best analogy for TBC imho is the Vietnam War/Saving Private Ryan. The series follows a group of mercenaries grunts embroiled in far more than they bargained for at the beginning of the first book... as in jumping out the fire into the frying pan !
Hmm...very interesting. I'll definitely give it a chance when it drops.

I meant "with more dirt" more in the sense of... not being so highly-polished. The Black Company books are quite gritty, from what I remember (it's been quite a few years since I read them). Epic, but not really with a self-important tone, and the scope narrowed down through the viewpoint of a cranky and jaded chronicler. If you can find them, I heartily recommend the books.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:59 am

That is one aspect that I think will be a challenge when bringing this to the screen. The books are pretty much all (at least the ones I read) from a single character's POV. So everything that we see and hear is filtered through what he directly observes, or what is related to him via others. That creates a very specific sort of atmosphere, with its requisite tensions and omissions.

Making this into an ongoing series makes bringing that same atmosphere very tricky, I'd think, as it would require either having the viewpoint character be in every single scene (tough to do, for both filming purposes as well as requirements of a cast member), or that any non-viewpoint scene be shot as flashbacks being related to said character in retrospect. I suspect that they'll try to go a more traditional route, and eliminate the singular viewpoint, to allow them much more leeway with shooting and storytelling, but it will definitely alter the dynamics of the story.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:44 pm

There is actually a British comedy series, called Peep Show that puts the cameras into the viewpoints of the characters.

I don't know if The Black Company could use the same trick. But that would involve handheld cameras moving around within the fantasy world.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:There is actually a British comedy series, called Peep Show that puts the cameras into the viewpoints of the characters.
We have a tv show on our side of the pond called Modern Family that does the same.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:There is actually a British comedy series, called Peep Show that puts the cameras into the viewpoints of the characters.
We ha a tv show on our side of the pond called Modern Family that does the same.

I am not sure they would go for it, as it would make it harder for them to use long range special effects shots.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby shesheyan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:That is one aspect that I think will be a challenge when bringing this to the screen. The books are pretty much all (at least the ones I read) from a single character's POV. So everything that we see and hear is filtered through what he directly observes, or what is related to him via others. That creates a very specific sort of atmosphere, with its requisite tensions and omissions.

Making this into an ongoing series makes bringing that same atmosphere very tricky, I'd think, as it would require either having the viewpoint character be in every single scene (tough to do, for both filming purposes as well as requirements of a cast member), or that any non-viewpoint scene be shot as flashbacks being related to said character in retrospect. I suspect that they'll try to go a more traditional route, and eliminate the singular viewpoint, to allow them much more leeway with shooting and storytelling, but it will definitely alter the dynamics of the story.

The single point of view narration is not necessary. They only need to explain that the company Analyst keeps a written record of the TBC's history. And that in times of low moral, he makes public readings from the company Annals to boost morale. Always choosing a chapter that echoes the current events, and in which TBC triumphed.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:24 pm

shesheyan wrote:The single point of view narration is not necessary. They only need to explain that the company Analyst keeps a written record of the TBC's history. And that in times of low moral, he makes public readings from the company Annals to boost morale. Always choosing a chapter that echoes the current events, and in which TBC triumphed.

What I mean is that, when you change the narrative from a first person POV (which the BC novels are written in), it changes the dynamic of the storytelling. In the BC novels, we only know what Croaker has seen himself or what he recounts from secondhand reporting, which creates a very different atmosphere than if the novels were told in third-person narrative style, and/or we cut back and forth from the POV of many different characters.

The latter format is that which is typically used in television and film, as it allows for a broader picture of events to be displayed to the viewer, and it also facilitates shooting, whereby you don't have to make sure that one person is always on set (the 1st person POV character) and can more easily shoot out of sequence such that you can film several scenes at the same location in one block of time, even if those scenes aren't connected by the proximity of time in your narrative.

Now, there are some examples of the filmic genre that can and have done POV style shooting (Memento comes to mind, and is one of my all-time favorite movies). It is pretty hard to do well though.

Making alterations to the source material is certainly a part of adapting to different mediums, and I suspect this is one of the chief things that will change. How it will affect the overall story remains to be seen. (I wouldn't be surprised, for instance, if Croaker's stories about the history of the Lady- which in the novel were pieced together from rumor and IIRC some of her own telling to him- turn up in the tv show as actual backstory involving Eliza Dushku. If so, that definitely changes the tone somewhat from the more mysterious and possibly dubious tales of her in the novel, to something much more definitive and perhaps less impressive for losing the mythical uncertainty.)
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Big Mac wrote:I am not sure they would go for it, as it would make it harder for them to use long range special effects shots.
I do think it would be very odd for a fantasy-centric show.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:32 pm

From what I hear, they changed the viewpoints from the Song of Fire and Ice novels, when they scripted the Game of Thrones series.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:From what I hear, they changed the viewpoints from the Song of Fire and Ice novels, when they scripted the Game of Thrones series.

Here and there, yes, but those novels weren't written in first person narrative, so we were always getting more of a bird's eye view of multiple plotlines the entire time, as opposed to a singular view and interpretation of the big picture.

I don't mean to make it sound like a big deal; I just wonder how it will affect the overall storyline, as it is a departure from the books. I'd have similar concerns of an Amber adaptation*, as all of the stories in Zelazny's novels and short stories are similarly written in a first person narrative. It definitely affects the means of presentation of the storytelling, not necessarily for better or ill, but it can't help but impact the weight and impact of what is going on. At the very least, I would expect that there would be some "creative license" of fleshing out scenes for which there are only the briefest of secondhand information, and that doesn't always work to the better.

(As an example of the latter, I'd refer to some of the scenes in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films, which were greatly expanded beyond a few sentences and/or explanations from the books, and which didn't always hit the mark, IMO. Things such as the Warg fight in The Two Towers, or the laughable barrel riding battle from Desolation of Smaug, etc.)
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:(As an example of the latter, I'd refer to some of the scenes in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films, which were greatly expanded beyond a few sentences and/or explanations from the books, and which didn't always hit the mark, IMO. Things such as the Warg fight in The Two Towers, or the laughable barrel riding battle from Desolation of Smaug, etc.)

That barrel riding battle was always kind of silly. The Hobbit had a lot more silly stuff in it than Lord of the Rings. LotR kind of changed the tone and made things a lot darker and grimmer.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Tabard Inn