What type of games to you play?

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

What type of games to you play?

RPGs
16
24%
Boardgames
12
18%
Miniature Wargames
3
4%
Game Books
4
6%
Collectible Card Games
4
6%
Living Card Games
2
3%
LARP
2
3%
Computer Games
12
18%
Console Games
4
6%
Handheld Device Games
9
13%
 
Total votes: 68

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

What type of games to you play?

Post by shesheyan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Are you a poly-gamer? By that I mean do you play more than one type of game ?

The majority of my hobby time goes into miniature wargaming, the occasional boardgames and recently rpgs as a player twice a month. In the 80-90s it used to be rpgs in the first place, boardgames second and miniatures in third place. Loosing my permanent rpg group at the end of the 90s shifted my center of interest. It was just easier to walk into a store by models and play against a random joe.

Played some MTG/CCGs but not for very long. The LOTR card game by I.C.E. held my attention the longest because it had a narrative component. You chose a wizard, created a party and travelled to locations on the map of Middle-Earth, battled monsters until you had enough magical items to win the war or dunk the ring at Mount Doom. It was possible to loose characters to magical item corruption. I miss it sometimes but not enough to play again. I don't want to play random booster games anymore.

Not attracted to computer games. The game I played the most was Diablo II. Haven't played regularly since then. Gauntlet reissue on PS2 grabbed my attention. I played it for hours with my wife. It was an arcade nostalgia thing mostly.
Last edited by shesheyan on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

User avatar
Sturm
Green Dragon
Posts: 4376
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:26 pm
Gender: male
Location: Genoa, Italy
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Sturm » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:39 pm

I must say I have tried all the above, but voted RPGs, boardgames and computer games because they are the ones on which I spent more money and time, mostly RPGs. Indeed the narrative element is determinant for me to maintain interest in any game.

User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 am
Gender: male
Location: Emirate of Kobara
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by timemrick » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 pm

RPGs and boardgames are by far the biggest for me, and always will be.

I checked CCGs because I still have and play Mythos. I used to play Magic and Middle-Earth years ago, and vastly preferred ME and Mythos to Magic-style games for the same reason as Shesheyan: the narrative element.

I checked handheld devices because I play Pokemon Go on my phone. I avoid almost every other game app like the plague (and social media games doubly so).

It's been over a decade since I last LARPed, so I did not check that one. I want to get back into someday, though, mostly because I have pieces of unfinished games stuck in my head.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

User avatar
ghendar
Cranky Grognard
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 pm
Gender: male
Location: Acererak's Rumpus Room

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by ghendar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm

The only things I currently play are games on my iPhone and computer games. Oh, and the occasional board game with my daughter.
At one time or another I have played tabletop RPGs, CCGs, Boardgames, Console Games, Miniature Wargames. If Munchkin fits as a Living Card Game then I've played that too.

The only thing I've never done is LARP. Seems a bit too weird for me. It's one thing to sling dice at a table but if I wanted to act, I'd join community theater.

The one thing I would play now if I could would definitely be D&D. Lately, I've been seriously thinking about joining PbP games. However, I get my D&D fix these days by scribbling down and expanding campaign world ideas and adventure scenarios.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

User avatar
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:55 pm
Gender: male

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Please add an option for gamebooks, like Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Choose Your Own Adventure, etc. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm

I play RPGs, Board Games, Computer Games, Console Games and very occasionally Handheld device games.

I have played miniature games, but that was a long time ago so I did not tick off that box, but I do like to collect and paint minis.

Mostly I play RPGs though. That is my clear favorite of the above.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by shesheyan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Please add an option for gamebooks, like Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Choose Your Own Adventure, etc. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook
I did... but it erased all the previous votes when I saved the change... :facepalm: :oops:

Please revote if you have time.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23193
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm mostly into D&D now, but I've played a lot of the game types you list. And my forum name is actually the name of a computer game from Mastertronic.

If you added up all the time I've played games, I've probably played board games for more time than RPGs, but I don't care about board games. I'll play them, but I don't feel much need to talk about them.

I don't know what a Living Card Game is.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

bayonetbrant
Hobgoblin
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 am
Gender: male

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by bayonetbrant » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Are you lumping traditional hex-and-counter wargames in with all the other boardgames? Because some us play wargames that don't involve minis.
-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
-- Brant
Chief cat herder and editorial director over at www.grogheads.com
Occasional game designer, even less-occasional game publisher
Most importantly, dad to 2 fantastic kids and budding gamers

bayonetbrant
Hobgoblin
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 am
Gender: male

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by bayonetbrant » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:I don't know what a Living Card Game is.
Non-collectible card games that have self-contained expansions, like Dominion, or the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. There's a Game of Thrones one. Red Dragon Inn has turned into one.
-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
-- Brant
Chief cat herder and editorial director over at www.grogheads.com
Occasional game designer, even less-occasional game publisher
Most importantly, dad to 2 fantastic kids and budding gamers

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by shesheyan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 pm

bayonetbrant wrote:Are you lumping traditional hex-and-counter wargames in with all the other boardgames? Because some us play wargames that don't involve minis.
That would go with miniature wargames. I played many hex-counter wargames over the years. In fact, I played Space Empires 4X a few months ago. It was fun.
Last edited by shesheyan on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by shesheyan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm

bayonetbrant wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I don't know what a Living Card Game is.
Non-collectible card games that have self-contained expansions, like Dominion, or the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. There's a Game of Thrones one. Red Dragon Inn has turned into one.
LCG are somewhat narrative card games that start with a fixed set of non-random cards. You buy all the cards of the set in one box. You then build a deck from the set and play one of the factions. That would be chapter one. After some time the story line evolves. A new set of fixed cards come out and you can change your deck to face the new challenges of the chapter. Many new card games are LCGs. Or even living dice games.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

User avatar
Thorf
Cartomancer
Posts: 2378
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 2:41 am
Gender: male
Location: Akita, Japan
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Thorf » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 pm

I'm definitely a poly gamer. But with time at a premium, I tend to limit which games I play.

I wonder how many others there are here who like me cannot tick the RPG box. Aside from a short revival last summer for a couple of months, I haven't played RPGs for almost twenty years. Definitely not by choice, but it is what it is.

I play a lot of board games, though, since discovering a board gaming club in my area. But even these have been far less this year, since we have a baby in the house.

Instead, this year has seen more computer and console games, especially as my older kids have started to be interested in these, and we tend to play together. The only games I buy are Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Pokémon, Civilization, and formerly Final Fantasy but I've given up on that now. This year's new entry to this is Minecraft.

Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:26 am
Gender: male

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Lord Sheriff Takari » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 am

RPG's and Miniature Wargaming are foremost on my list

mini's and Empire Builder type campaign games are my favorites

board games = also rate well but games like Axis & Allies or Risk will keep me happy
Game Books? haven't found any I like
CCG's = never held my interest and I'm immune to the MtG bug <it bit me and got swatted for it's effort>
LCG's? never heard of the subtype

LARP = Amtgard, Belegarth, Dagorhir and many others are a fun way to enjoy the outdoors.

Computer Games = Sid Meier's Civilization and few others are enjoyable but generally I prefer the Tabletop over the Screen/Keyboard

Console/Handheld devices = NOPE! too damned many buttons on the controller and any game I might consider is worth playing is rife with hacks and cheaters

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:18 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:Console/Handheld devices = NOPE! too damned many buttons on the controller and any game I might consider is worth playing is rife with hacks and cheaters
I assumed Phone / Tablet games were included here? If not, I haven't played a hand held game since the 80s.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by shesheyan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Havard wrote:
Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:Console/Handheld devices = NOPE! too damned many buttons on the controller and any game I might consider is worth playing is rife with hacks and cheaters
I assumed Phone / Tablet games were included here? If not, I haven't played a hand held game since the 80s.

-Havard
iphones, tablets and gameboys are handheld devices.

Play Station «hand-held controllers» are under consoles because they are like keyboards. They don't operate without the box/computer.
Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Havard wrote:
Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:Console/Handheld devices = NOPE! too damned many buttons on the controller and any game I might consider is worth playing is rife with hacks and cheaters
I assumed Phone / Tablet games were included here? If not, I haven't played a hand held game since the 80s.

-Havard
iphones, tablets and gameboys are handheld devices.

Play Station «hand-held controllers» are under consoles because they are like keyboards. They don't do anything without the box/computer.
Yeah, that is what I thought. I got into console games fairly late and I remember being frustrated with those controllers originally. Howevever I soon got the hang of it.

I don't play too many console games, but I like sandbox type games that I play on my XBoxOne such as the FarCry Games and now I am back at playing Skyrim again since I got the upgraded version of that game.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23193
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:32 pm

shesheyan wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I don't know what a Living Card Game is.
Non-collectible card games that have self-contained expansions, like Dominion, or the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. There's a Game of Thrones one. Red Dragon Inn has turned into one.
LCG are somewhat narrative card games that start with a fixed set of non-random cards. You buy all the cards of the set in one box. You then build a deck from the set and play one of the factions. That would be chapter one. After some time the story line evolves. A new set of fixed cards come out and you can change your deck to face the new challenges of the chapter. Many new card games are LCGs. Or even living dice games.
Thanks Bayonetbrant and Shesheyan.

I've never played these, but they sound less of a sting than a CCG is.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

bayonetbrant
Hobgoblin
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 am
Gender: male

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by bayonetbrant » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 pm

shesheyan wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:Are you lumping traditional hex-and-counter wargames in with all the other boardgames? Because some us play wargames that don't involve minis.
That would go with miniature wargames. I played many hex-counter wargames over the years. In fact, I played Space Empires 4X a few months ago. It was fun.

Yes, but we've got a decent amount of research that minis wargamers and board wargamers are 2 very different categories of people, in what motivates them/why they play, and what they enjoy. And board wargamers are different from Eurogamers in many of the same categories, too.
-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
-- Brant
Chief cat herder and editorial director over at www.grogheads.com
Occasional game designer, even less-occasional game publisher
Most importantly, dad to 2 fantastic kids and budding gamers

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by shesheyan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 am

bayonetbrant wrote:
shesheyan wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:Are you lumping traditional hex-and-counter wargames in with all the other boardgames? Because some us play wargames that don't involve minis.
That would go with miniature wargames. I played many hex-counter wargames over the years. In fact, I played Space Empires 4X a few months ago. It was fun.

Yes, but we've got a decent amount of research that minis wargamers and board wargamers are 2 very different categories of people, in what motivates them/why they play, and what they enjoy. And board wargamers are different from Eurogamers in many of the same categories, too.
Yes I understand that and I totally agree. But I can't edit the categories of the poll because it will flush all the current vote.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23193
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:44 am

shesheyan wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:
shesheyan wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:Are you lumping traditional hex-and-counter wargames in with all the other boardgames? Because some us play wargames that don't involve minis.
That would go with miniature wargames. I played many hex-counter wargames over the years. In fact, I played Space Empires 4X a few months ago. It was fun.

Yes, but we've got a decent amount of research that minis wargamers and board wargamers are 2 very different categories of people, in what motivates them/why they play, and what they enjoy. And board wargamers are different from Eurogamers in many of the same categories, too.
Yes I understand that and I totally agree. But I can't edit the categories of the poll because it will flush all the current vote.
You also have a hard limit on the maximum number of options on a forum question. You would be getting close to that, IIRC.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

bayonetbrant
Hobgoblin
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 am
Gender: male

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by bayonetbrant » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:48 am

^^^
fair 'nuff :)
-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
-- Brant
Chief cat herder and editorial director over at www.grogheads.com
Occasional game designer, even less-occasional game publisher
Most importantly, dad to 2 fantastic kids and budding gamers

User avatar
Hugin
Green Dragon
Posts: 4001
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:40 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fergus, Ontario

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by Hugin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 am

I've played most of these but generally play RPG (just D&D) and board games (many, many different ones).

One of my board games is technically a LCG, that being Lord of the Rings LCG, and one is practically a miniature wargame, Star Wars: X-Wing miniature game.

I play a few games on my phone, mainly board game implementations, and the odd (and usually old) computer game. Pretty sure that makes me a poly-gamer.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by shesheyan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Hugin wrote:I've played most of these but generally play RPG (just D&D) and board games (many, many different ones).

One of my board games is technically a LCG, that being Lord of the Rings LCG, and one is practically a miniature wargame, Star Wars: X-Wing miniature game.

I play a few games on my phone, mainly board game implementations, and the odd (and usually old) computer game. Pretty sure that makes me a poly-gamer.

Imho Star Wars is a miniature wargame. I really like the fact that the models are assembled and pre-painted. I started in miniature wargaming with Mech Warriors and Mage Knight by Wizkids. They were pre-painted and had the cool clix rotating base with all the stats inside the dial.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: What type of games to you play?

Post by shesheyan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:21 pm

bayonetbrant wrote:^^^
fair 'nuff :)
;)

Miniature wargaming has evolved a lot and would require a survey by itself. The days when all the wargames where played with large armies on 4x6 tables are long gone. Skirmish games of 10 or less models per side has gained in popularity in the last 5 years. Many players now refuse to buy in large model count games. Most companies with large games now offer a skirmish variant of their rules in the hope of stopping the lost of customers.

The most recent trend is the miniature skirmish game on a small battle board. GW's Shadespire and Corvus Belli's Aristeia are good exemple of this new trend. Most probably a reaction to the explosion miniature skirmish boardgames sold on Kickstarter. Lines are blurry. Are they board games or miniature wargames... A bit of both maybe because the hobby side remains part of the attraction.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Post Reply

Return to “The Tabard Inn”