D&D Movie announced by Paramount for 2021

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

D&D Movie announced by Paramount for 2021

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Also, Micronauts and GI Joe.

Maybe even ROM, Visonaries and MASK?

https://geektyrant.com/news/release-dat ... nd-dragons?

Edit: John Campea talks about this D&D movie a bit at the beginning of this video and goes on a small rant on how wonderful tabletops RPGs are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlhjWKoHwOQ

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: D&D Movie announced by Paramount for 2021

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Havard wrote:Edit: John Campea talks about this D&D movie a bit at the beginning of this video and goes on a small rant on how wonderful tabletops RPGs are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlhjWKoHwOQ
It's more like several minutes into the video, than the begining, but it's well worth watching.

I totally agree with John Campea's assessment, they should pretend this is the first D&D movie and not connect it to any of the previous ones.

I would also go further and say that Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast need to stop pushing "Dungeons & Dragons" as a name to be associated with a movie. D&D is a rules system. It's the "engine" not the "car".

The D&D IPs that actually have a soul to them are the campaign settings. That's what should be promoted as a movie - not a generic D&D concept. Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance both had novel lines with some very successful novels. Several other D&D settings had novels (including Greyhawk, Spelljammer, Mystara, Birthright and Dark Sun) but FR and DL have a lot of good stories to choose from. I would much rather see a novelisation of one of them than a generic fantasy movie with "D&D" slapped on it.

If Paramount didn't want to do a Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance novel I think they could also go for Greyhawk, based on the fact that it was Gary Gygax's D&D world. That might connect well with fans. I'd love to see a Gord the Rogue novel. (And I'd love to see Anna Meyer's Greyhawk map loaded onto a super-computer, so that we could get a view down on the Flanaess from space.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Edit: John Campea talks about this D&D movie a bit at the beginning of this video and goes on a small rant on how wonderful tabletops RPGs are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlhjWKoHwOQ
It's more like several minutes into the video, than the begining, but it's well worth watching.

I totally agree with John Campea's assessment, they should pretend this is the first D&D movie and not connect it to any of the previous ones.
I think Campea missed that there have been 3 D&D movies so far rather than one. I think that both the first and second movie were theatrical releases?
I would also go further and say that Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast need to stop pushing "Dungeons & Dragons" as a name to be associated with a movie. D&D is a rules system. It's the "engine" not the "car".

The D&D IPs that actually have a soul to them are the campaign settings. That's what should be promoted as a movie - not a generic D&D concept. Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance both had novel lines with some very successful novels. Several other D&D settings had novels (including Greyhawk, Spelljammer, Mystara, Birthright and Dark Sun) but FR and DL have a lot of good stories to choose from. I would much rather see a novelisation of one of them than a generic fantasy movie with "D&D" slapped on it.
As much as I share your fascination with the settings, I think both Paramount and Hasbro only care about D&D being the most marketable brand. I do believe they will use the Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance for the next movie though, even if it is called D&D. Maybe they would call it D&D: Baldur's Gate or something?
If Paramount didn't want to do a Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance novel I think they could also go for Greyhawk, based on the fact that it was Gary Gygax's D&D world. That might connect well with fans. I'd love to see a Gord the Rogue novel. (And I'd love to see Anna Meyer's Greyhawk map loaded onto a super-computer, so that we could get a view down on the Flanaess from space.)
Is there actual talk of novels? I guess a novel based on the movie type thing is not out of the question....

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:17 pm

So maybe this is the D&D movie that they'll finally get right? <fingers crossed>
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Speculation on the news of a new D&D movie as well as on D&D 6th Edition!
https://youtu.be/otBD95VR5fA

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I would also go further and say that Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast need to stop pushing "Dungeons & Dragons" as a name to be associated with a movie. D&D is a rules system. It's the "engine" not the "car".

As much as I share your fascination with the settings, I think both Paramount and Hasbro only care about D&D being the most marketable brand. I do believe they will use the Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance for the next movie though, even if it is called D&D. Maybe they would call it D&D: Baldur's Gate or something?
It's not so much my facination with campaign settings, but the fact that I believe that "Dungeons & Dragons" is not a marketable concept. If you "sell" a movie as a "Dungeons & Dragons movie" I expect a movie about D&D (like Mazes and Monsters. I do not expect to see a story with the quality of the Dragonlance Chronicles, the Cloakmaster Cycle or the Tomb of Horrors. It's just not a name that implies anything beyond RPG rules.

They didn't market "JRR Tolkien" movies - they marketed Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:If Paramount didn't want to do a Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance novel I think they could also go for Greyhawk, based on the fact that it was Gary Gygax's D&D world. That might connect well with fans. I'd love to see a Gord the Rogue novel. (And I'd love to see Anna Meyer's Greyhawk map loaded onto a super-computer, so that we could get a view down on the Flanaess from space.)
Is there actual talk of novels? I guess a novel based on the movie type thing is not out of the question....
I have not heard any talk about the novel lines being restarted, but if you look at the movie business, especially the fantasy movie business, there is almost always a novelisation of the movie, a bunch of tie-in novels and tie-in comics.

It does not seem to make sense to me for Hasbro to be spending a lot of money recovering the movie rights and then not having the various things that normally surround a movie franchise. It's a bit like they are undermining their own business plan.

Perhaps WotC should just outsource their novels. I bet The Ed Greenwood Group could do a decent job of looking after Forgotten Realms.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Big Mac wrote:It's not so much my facination with campaign settings, but the fact that I believe that "Dungeons & Dragons" is not a marketable concept. If you "sell" a movie as a "Dungeons & Dragons movie" I expect a movie about D&D (like Mazes and Monsters. I do not expect to see a story with the quality of the Dragonlance Chronicles, the Cloakmaster Cycle or the Tomb of Horrors. It's just not a name that implies anything beyond RPG rules.
I don't know. Many people have played D&D. They have memories of D&D. Maybe they played in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms or Mystara, but they just don't remember that because they were casual players. That doesn't mean they didn't love the experience.

I think the name Dungeons & Dragons implies everybody's homebrew campaign.

I have not heard any talk about the novel lines being restarted, but if you look at the movie business, especially the fantasy movie business, there is almost always a novelisation of the movie, a bunch of tie-in novels and tie-in comics.
Yes, that would be pretty cool :)
It does not seem to make sense to me for Hasbro to be spending a lot of money recovering the movie rights and then not having the various things that normally surround a movie franchise. It's a bit like they are undermining their own business plan.
From what I understand, Hasbro has entered a deal with Paramount for producing movies based on many of their properties. Perhaps that could involve those side products as well?

Perhaps WotC should just outsource their novels. I bet The Ed Greenwood Group could do a decent job of looking after Forgotten Realms.
Outsourcing novels would be awesome.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 pm

I'll believe it when I see it...

If they could turn Dragon Lance into a trilogy of movies it would be awesome.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:29 am

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It's not so much my facination with campaign settings, but the fact that I believe that "Dungeons & Dragons" is not a marketable concept. If you "sell" a movie as a "Dungeons & Dragons movie" I expect a movie about D&D (like Mazes and Monsters. I do not expect to see a story with the quality of the Dragonlance Chronicles, the Cloakmaster Cycle or the Tomb of Horrors. It's just not a name that implies anything beyond RPG rules.
I don't know. Many people have played D&D. They have memories of D&D. Maybe they played in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms or Mystara, but they just don't remember that because they were casual players. That doesn't mean they didn't love the experience.

I think the name Dungeons & Dragons implies everybody's homebrew campaign.
Homebrew D&D is exactly what they did with the first novel...and I honestly can't see the point of it. I had no emotional attachment to the concept. It was meaningless.

And looking at this from the other end, if I did want to see a homebrew campaign, like Thorn's Chronicle, get turned into a movie, I really would not be interested in an association with D&D. And from a business point-of-view, it would obviously be better to ditch D&D IP and make something like Thorn's Chronicle into a movie about itself.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:31 am

shesheyan wrote:If they could turn Dragon Lance into a trilogy of movies it would be awesome.
A Dragonlance trillogy would indeed be awesome.

They tried it with the animated Dragonlance movie, but Paramount bottled out.

There was also a bid to follow the animated DL movies with live-action DL movies, but that went nowhere. (And the live action attempt seemed to undermine the attempt to complete the animated versions.)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:57 am

Would love to see a Dragonlance movie or even a Trilogy.

I think one problem a Dragonlance movie would face is that they need to make sure it doesn't appear to be too similar to either Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. I don't think it should be too difficult, but it is frustrating that GoT stole the "Dragons returning" type thing.

I think both Tanis and Raistlin are characters that have tons of potential to be explored on the big screen though.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”