D&D can help people with autism

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

D&D can help people with autism

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 pm

A friend of mine pointed me at a story, from CBS Canada, called How slaying dragons and rolling dice can help people with autism.

There is a group, called Autism Nova Scotia, that has been running tabletop games to help people who have autism to have fun, while improving their social and communication skills.

It's a really great story. It's great to see tabletop games improving things for people. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: D&D can help people with autism

Post by Hugin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:08 pm

This isn't the only story I've heard about on this subject. I think it's starting to get a lot more recognition it this area. The most recent time being in a video by Penny Arcade's "C" Team and their guests discussing how they use D&D with autistic children. It was inspiring.

I've long believed that playing an RPG has a multitude of benefits, and helping with autism was no big surprise to me.

On a bit of a side topic, my wife and I bought "No Thank You, Evil!" for our girls (4 & 1/2 and almost 6) for Christmas (although it's mainly for our oldest at the moment). We're played twice now and she loves it. Seeing how she reacts to situations, puts two-and-two together, and gets creative, is (as a parent) absolutely awesome to watch. It our gateway into D&D down the road.

I can well imagine how people feel when they see loved ones with autism reacting to playing D&D.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: D&D can help people with autism

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Interesting :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”