Avengers Infinity War (Spoilers)

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Avengers Infinity War (Spoilers)

Post by Havard » Tue May 01, 2018 10:02 pm

OMG

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Tue May 01, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Avengers Infinity War (Spoiers)

Post by shesheyan » Tue May 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Typo : (Spoiers) - your missing the L
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Avengers Infinity War (Spoilers)

Post by Havard » Tue May 01, 2018 10:17 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:13 pm
Fixed! :lol:

What did you think of the movie? :)

I thought it was awesome. Very dark, but I loved it. Obviously some characters will be brought back to life, but I am not sure they all will be.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 pm

Oh and Thor was really great in this one.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue May 01, 2018 10:35 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:17 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:13 pm
Fixed! :lol:

What did you think of the movie? :)

I thought it was awesome. Very dark, but I loved it. Obviously some characters will be brought back to life, but I am not sure they all will be.

-Havard
Haven't seen it. Still debating if I will spend the big bucks to see it at the theater.
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Nice, but definitely not the best Avengers movie. The story is very wide, with so many different groups around that it tends to loose focus.

GP

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Wed May 02, 2018 3:52 am

I watched this in Hong Kong.For various reasons,this movie will not be released until May 11 in Mainland China.

Overall this movie is great,but--They really don’t need to make Star-Lord stupid,Thanos itself has strong resistance,he can immune to paralysis.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Wed May 02, 2018 8:00 am

It was awesome, the 2.5 hours went quickly.

But the excuse to have those 2 particular Avengers not in the movie was a bit lame.
I would've liked to have seen how Thanos got the 1st gem from Zandor (I think it was).

I am guessing the 2nd movie will go into the X-Men reboot style and time travel will bring back all who died..

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri May 04, 2018 11:13 pm

agathokles wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:12 pm
The story is very wide, with so many different groups around that it tends to lose focus.
There's something very meta about a movie with too many characters having a villain whose entire motivation is that he thinks the movie universe has too many characters.

I have to say, though, that I expected the number of characters they had to juggle to be a bigger problem than it was. Most of the characters had at least a few moments where they had something interesting and important to do. Mantis's powers were put to impressive use in one scene, Black Widow proved crucial in saving Scarlet Witch in another, Scarlet Witch proved critical at the Battle of Wakanda, even Teen Groot got the chance to save Thor/help craft Thor's new weapon. Everyone managed to feel necessary for at least a part of the story (except, I guess, Maria Hill) and they all got enough emotional beats to ensure we cared about them.
sam wrote:Overall this movie is great,but--They really don’t need to make Star-Lord stupid,Thanos itself has strong resistance,he can immune to paralysis.
Sure, Thanos can have any powers they want him to have, but staging the scene the way they did gave Mantis the opportunity to do something useful while still showcasing how powerful Thanos was (remember that Mantis honed her powers on Ego the Living Planet, but Thanos was still able to resist her to some extent). As for Star-Lord, a lot of the very nearly successful plan was his idea, so I don't think he felt stupid, but just hot-headed and flawed (as he said, he's half human, so therefore he's only half stupid). That was intentionally a rough scene to watch, since they came a hair's breadth from victory and the trillions of deaths that followed are arguably Peter Quill's fault—but that sort of thing is emotionally engaging in a way that having Thanos just shrug off Mantis's power (making her seem useless) wouldn't have been. Showing that the heroes almost won a very difficult battle against a nigh-invincible opponent allows them to seem impressive and heroic, and makes their ultimate defeat all the more devastating. In the end, the audience isn't going to care about the characters' game statistics as much as the emotional stakes and consequences, and that's why it's important that the story ultimately turned on the characters' personalities, both their virtues and their flaws. Thanos didn't gain the Soul Stone because he was physically powerful to some arbitrary degree, but thanks to the emotional cost he paid. Doctor Strange didn't give up the Eye of Agamotto because he was defeated in battle, but because he calculated that this was his only remaining path to victory. Character and personality are the only things worth getting personally invested in.

The film's major theme was the idea of pragmatism, the notion that the right thing to do is a cold calculation based on what leads to the maximum positive results for the maximum number of people. This is Spock's "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Leaving aside the nonsensical details of Thanos's (Malthusian) plan (Did every planet in the universe have exactly twice the population it could easily sustain? What about the subsequent deaths from, for example, unmanned helicopters crashing and essential services disappearing, did Thanos factor that in? What happens a generation later?) he represents the (il)logical conclusion of the pragmatic mindset behind, for example, the trolley problem or ticking time bomb thought experiments. He believes that he's behaving ethically because he's calculated that the end result will be more happiness for more people than otherwise. The point the film is trying to make isn't that his calculations are wrong (the movie wants us to assume they're correct), but that the very idea of pragmatism is wrong. As Captain America says, "we don't trade a life for life." He's called on that immediately (isn't that exactly what you tried to do with your own life at the end of Captain America: The First Avenger?) but it's not important that every character is perfectly consistent throughout their careers (people seldom are); it's important what they represent in the specific argument the film is making. So while all the Wakandan lives that were sacrificed to try to save Vision's life is bad from a pragmatic perspective, the point is that the characters have rejected the idea that calculations like that are a reliable ethical guide. The Wakandans were fighting to save a life because they've decided that life has intrinsic value beyond calculations of cost. They're all willing to lay down their lives, if necessary, to save one person because pragmatism is a game they will not play.

Doctor Strange is shown early on to have something of a pragmatic mindset, too. "I will not hesitate to sacrifice you or the boy in order to keep the Time Stone safe," he tells Tony Stark. "A moral compass. Good to know," Stark replies wryly. And when Strange ultimately decides not to go through with that, it's almost certainly not because he's decided Tony Stark isn't an acceptable trade-off for the trillions of lives that Thanos goes on to destroy, but because he's only seen one possible path to victory and sparing Stark is a critical part of that. But is this because Tony Stark himself does something essential, or just because Strange has seen that the only timeline in which they're victorious is one in which the heroes reject Thanos's philosophy? Does it matter if Strange rejects pragmatism on pragmatic grounds? Though perhaps Doctor Strange's ethics are more deontological than pragmatic; above all else he simply seeks to do his duty and concerns of happiness are irrelevant.

What of when the Scarlet Witch ultimately does try to sacrifice Vision, and Star-Lord tries to sacrifice Gamora? Well, I think it's key that they only did this with enthusiastic permission from the person they tried to sacrifice (and also possibly important that in both cases they ultimately failed). Some fans have suggested that this makes them the "true" owners of their respective stones, citing Harry Potter wand laws, but that didn't seem to help them much when Thanos completed his master plan.

Purely from a pragmatic perspective, though, I thought it was interesting to consider how if Thor had just sided with Hela in Ragnarok all this could have been avoided. Hela's tyranny would have been terrible in its own right, of course, but I think she could have beaten Thanos handily (pun not intended). Hela recognized the Tesseract immediately but left it where it was because she was vastly more powerful than the other characters even without it.

I've seen, elsewhere, some puzzlement over what was going on with the Hulk. My take is that the opening scene was the first time that he's had to see his friends die all around him because his strength failed him. He's been beaten before but there have never been such devastating consequences. Strength was the one thing Hulk knew he was good at, and it wasn't enough, and he can't bear to see that happen again. If Hulk can't save the day with his strength then Hulk feels useless and, worse than useless, like he's letting everyone down. Better to hope puny Banner will think of something.

I loved Loki's "We have a Hulk" line, though.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”