Starbucks logo is a legendary monster

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Starbucks logo is a legendary monster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I just found out, from the Top Ten Monsters of the Middle Ages article that the Starbucks logo includes a legendary monster, called a Melusine.

A Melusine is a female fresh-water spirit that looks human from the waist up and looks a bit like a mermaid from the waist down. But it's a two-tailed mermaid - not the one-tailed type you get in the sea. (I don't know if any RPGs have included a Melusine in them. I've never heard of them before.)

You can't really see that in the new Starbucks logo, but the original Starbucks logo shows her holding up her two tails. You can see more in these articles: Has anyone seen any other legendary monsters hidden in logos we see every day?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Starbucks logo is a legendary monster

Post by Havard » Sat May 05, 2018 2:26 pm

If you catch a Melusine, will she make you coffee? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Sat May 05, 2018 5:14 pm

I am Chinese, so I can always see legendary monsters in banks and banquets......:)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Like this one Sam? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Sat May 05, 2018 10:39 pm

Or like this--

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Nice! :)

Are those plates? or coasters?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Sun May 06, 2018 12:42 am

Havard wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:38 pm
Nice! :)

Are those plates? or coasters?

-Havard
Coins.In general, Long and Qilin are common elements of logo or decoration.We also use Pixiu(Lion-like creatures,can swallow almost everything but not excrete,means to gather wealth)or Xiezhi (A creature that looks like mixture of goats and lions,the character is "Judge",it will identify and attack the bad guys).

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 am

Yep! In North East Italy there is also an ancient game (that is fundamentaly a variant of tombola, or bingo, for people that can't read and therefore need all images instead of numbers) where that double-tailed syren is one of the figures of the game (she is not called melusine, anyway).
Can you spot her? :P
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 am

Havard wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:26 pm
I know you joke, but it might be interesting to have a Melusine, who is running some sort of drinking establishment in a tabletop game. And why not a coffee house or other mundane business (instead of having a Melusine marrying a lord).

They all seem to have this "marry someone, but put conditions on it" vibe to them, when they come to live with humans. So that could possibly be turned into some sort of adventure hook.

Melusine seem to be bound to magical water, of some sort. I suppose they work a bit like a Dryad, in some respects. :?

Perhaps there could be a Melusine, living on a river, who marries someone who brews beer and they could build a tavern with brewery on the river and farm hops and other crops used to make beer in the surrounding area.

I'm not so sure about all Melusines being female. I think it would be equally good to have male ones that marry human (or demihuman women) from time to time.

:cool:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 am

sam wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:14 pm
I am Chinese, so I can always see legendary monsters in banks and banquets......:)
Good point.

I guess that stuff is largely a reflection of the legends in Chinese culture, while the Melusine of Starbucks (which seems to be nicknamed the "Starbucks Siren") is a bit of seafaring legend that has been grabbed from another country, by the Starbucks founders and then pushed out across the world.

I wonder if there is a way to (scientifically) measure how popular individual legends are, by the "footprint" they make on today's culture. :?

It would be interesting to see if Chinese culture is more or less in touch with it's legendary monsters than other nations. :)

Dalillama
Gnoll

Post by Dalillama » Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 am
Havard wrote:
I know you joke, but it might be interesting to have a Melusine, who is running some sort of drinking establishment in a tabletop game. And why not a coffee house or other mundane business (instead of having a Melusine marrying a lord).

They all seem to have this "marry someone, but put conditions on it" vibe to them, when they come to live with humans. So that could possibly be turned into some sort of adventure hook.

Melusine seem to be bound to magical water, of some sort. I suppose they work a bit like a Dryad, in some respects. :?

Perhaps there could be a Melusine, living on a river, who marries someone who brews beer and they could build a tavern with brewery on the river and farm hops and other crops used to make beer in the surrounding area.

I'm not so sure about all Melusines being female. I think it would be equally good to have male ones that marry human (or demihuman women) from time to time.

Married an innkeeper, who is now deceased and the Melusine inherited. Now runs a sailor's tavern on the waterfront.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Tue May 08, 2018 11:57 am

Dalillama wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 am
Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:

Married an innkeeper, who is now deceased and the Melusine inherited. Now runs a sailor's tavern on the waterfront.
Only thing is, how does the melusine walk on land? Or would her husband carry her around in a tub full of seawater?
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 08, 2018 7:38 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:57 am
Dalillama wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 am
Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:

Only thing is, how does the melusine walk on land? Or would her husband carry her around in a tub full of seawater?
The Melusine looks like a human most of the time. One legend has one that turned into the twin fish limbed form in her private chambers. Another said her daughter turned into that form once per week, on a Saturday.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”