[Marvel] What was the MCU like in the 1990s? (Possible spoilers for future movies)

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Marvel] What was the MCU like in the 1990s? (Possible spoilers for future movies)

Post by Havard » Wed May 09, 2018 7:02 pm

Apparently the upcoming Captain Marvel movie is going to be set in the 1990s. You might have noticed that in the Infinity War end credit scene Nick Fury's device used to contact Captain Marvel looked sort of like a 90s beeper.

What was the movie version of the Marvel Universe (MCU) like during the 1990s? What do we know?
  • Original Wasp was last seen in 1989. Hank Pym may have retired shortly thereafter
  • Nick Fury was around with two eyes (rumored)
  • An older Peggy Carter was active with SHIELD
  • Howard Stark and his wife were killed in 1991
  • Winter Soldier working for the Soviets. No mission after 1991?
  • Young Natasha getting her training. Training program apparently continued after collapse of Soviet Union? Recruited to SHIELD by Barton in 1998
  • Wakandans secretly keeping an eye on Killmonger's father in the USA.
  • Antony Vanko living in Moscow after feeling betrayed by Howard Stark
  • (Black) Goliath still active? Powered by Pym tech.
  • Carol Danvers encounters at least one Kree (Mar-vell)
Anything else? I am really excited to explore this decade of the setting, long before Tony Starks declates that he is Iron Man. :ugeek:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: [Marvel] What was the MCU like in the 1990s? (Possible spoilers for future movies)

Post by willpell » Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 pm

At some point in every person's life, they begin to notice that period-piece movies of their own lifetime are being made....

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Re: [Marvel] What was the MCU like in the 1990s? (Possible spoilers for future movies)

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 10, 2018 1:15 am

So the next few movies will essentially be the Arcane Age of Marvel (if of course, the early Steve Rogers days were like the Days of Thunder).

Perhaps the Ancient One has some adventures of her own at the time?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 am

The timeline started with 2008 and "I am Iron Man" making superheroes known to the general public. However, the movies and TV shows have already explored much of the universe's history. Most has been flashback scenes, but Captain America I and Agent Carter were actually set in the 40s and 50s.

Age of Ultron gave us a few flashes from Black Widow's upbringing in the 80s, but I really liked the scenes from Ant Man where we saw Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne being SHIELD operatives during the final years of the Cold War. Winter Soldier also showed us that Bucky was active during the Cold War under the control of the Soviets. Wakanda may have been an isolated nation up to now, but it seems that the nation has had agents all over the world. I would not be surprised if T'Chala's father did some super heroics in his younger days as well.

The X-Men movies have also showed us the 60s, 70s and 80s, but for now they are not part of the same continuity. We will see what happens if Disney's attempt to buy Fox goes through next year.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu May 10, 2018 9:12 pm

1959 - Wilson Fisk born.
1967 - Birth of the Daywalker, Blade (non-canon).
1970 - Tony Stark born.
1971 - Wilson Fisk kills his father with a hammer.
1974 - Tony Stark builds his first circuit board.
1976 - Frank Castle born.
1977 - Tony Stark builds his first motorbike engine.
1977 - Prince T'Challa of Wakanda is born.
1980 - Carl Lucas (Luke Cage) born.
1980 - Peter Quill born.
1981 - Elektra Natchios born.
1982 - Matt Murdock born.
1984 - Natasha Romanoff born.
1985 - Jessica Jones born.
1986 - Erik Stevens is born to Prince N'Jobu of Wakanda.
1987 - Tony Stark graduates from MIT at the top of his class and meets his friend James Rhodes.
1988 - Meredith Quill dies of cancer. Peter Quill is abducted by the Ravagers.
1991 - Danny Rand born.
1991 - Matt Murdock blinded saving an elderly man from a Rand Oil and Chemicals truck.
1991 - Howard and Maria Stark die in a car crash.
1992 - Jack Murdock murdered by mobsters. Matt Murdock sent to Saint Agnes Orphanage.
1992 - Prince N'Jobu of Wakanda is killed by his brother, King T'Chaka, leaving behind his son Erik.
1993 - Elektra Natchios sent by Stick to be adopted by an unnamed ambassador. Matt Murdock begins his training with Stick.
1994 - Frank Castle joins the Marine Corps.
1997 - Willis Stryker teaches Carl Lucas how to box.
1998 - Carl Lucas joins the Marine Corps after being arrested for car theft. Willis Stryker goes to jail.
1998 - Blade destroys the vampire Frost (non-canon).
2000 - Jessica Jones dies in a car accident, but is resurrected and given superhuman strength by the mysterious IGH.
2001 - A plane crashes in the Himalayas, killing Wendell and Heather Rand and leaving Danny Rand stranded to be raised by the monks of K'un-Lun. The Rand company falls under the leadership of Harold Meachum.
2002 - Blade defeats the Reapers, an evolved strain of vampires (non-canon).
2003 - Bruce Banner is transformed into the Hulk after a gamma ray experiment, part of a World War II era "super soldier" program that General "Thunderbolt" Ross hopes to recreate.
2004 - Blade destroys Dracula (non-canon).
2008 - Tony Stark imprisoned in a cave by a terrorist group, the Ten Rings. With the help of fellow captive Yinsen, he builds an arc reactor and powered suit to escape.
2008 - General Ross tracks Bruce Banner to Rio de Janeiro and sends a special forces team led by Emil Blonsky to capture him. Banner defeats a gamma-mutated Blonsky, nicknamed the "abomination," in Harlem. Tony Stark speaks to Ross about a proposed team of gifted individuals.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Tha't s a great compilation of events Rip! :)

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Sat May 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Wasn’t Jack Murdock killed by “Crusher” Creel in a boxing match or something like that?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun May 13, 2018 3:07 am

Seethyr wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:55 pm
Wasn’t Jack Murdock killed by “Crusher” Creel in a boxing match or something like that?
He was killed by mobsters after refusing to take a dive in his match with "Crusher" Creel.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”