Print on Demand

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Print on Demand

Post by shesheyan » Sun May 20, 2018 12:29 pm

I recently ordered the Calidar bundle on POD. The bundle contains 4 books. I received an email for each saying the product has shipped. Are really going to ship them separately or as a single package?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Print on Demand

Post by Havard » Sun May 20, 2018 5:06 pm

I assume this is Drivethru?

They have shipped multiple items together to me in the past. Not sure what their exact policy on this is. Shipping prices should be the same for you either way I think.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:06 pm
I assume this is Drivethru?

They have shipped multiple items together to me in the past. Not sure what their exact policy on this is. Shipping prices should be the same for you either way I think.

-Havard
If it's a bundle, they would charge the bundle price if you bought them together.

I'd be interested to see what price they would suggest if the books were put into the basket separately.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 am

My experience of this is that yes, they often send each book separately. I think it comes down to efficiency in their production line — they apparently don't have the capability to print and then hold something while waiting for another item to print, but instead simply print and post each item according to their schedule.

It makes more sense when you consider that they likely have a contract with the postal services.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri May 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Thorf wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 am
My experience of this is that yes, they often send each book separately. I think it comes down to efficiency in their production line — they apparently don't have the capability to print and then hold something while waiting for another item to print, but instead simply print and post each item according to their schedule.

It makes more sense when you consider that they likely have a contract with the postal services.
Received the first of four packages today. Print quality is excellent.
Sending each book separatly is a very wasteful process... :facepalm:

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:18 pm

My books arrived today. Three packages total. Only took two weeks from order time to my door. Lots of summer reading will take place in my backyard garden.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:02 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:11 pm
Sending each book separatly is a very wasteful process... :facepalm:
Well you think that, but the old method of doing things requires print runs, storage, picking a number of items to collate and then shipping.

That results in warehouse costs and staffing costs for people who assemble things.

If you did PoD and held things back, you might not have the massive warehouse costs that TSR did, back in the day, but you would need to track down different items and put them together. Amazon has people doing that sort of thing and I think they try to get pickers to locate one item every 12 seconds (to reduce costs).

With PoD printing something, bagging it in an envelope and throwing it out the other end, you don't have any of that stuff. The item is out of the production system, as soon as it is finished with and then goes into the shipping system.

That's why D&D boxed sets would not be easy to bring back as boxed sets. It's just not economical to add all of that intervention.

What they could do is make a collection of different PoD items and send you a flat-packed DIY box for you to put together. That way, the intervention time would all be at your end and you could do as much collating and assembling as you wanted.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”