Just checking: who has heard of the "goristro"

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
bayonetbrant
Hobgoblin

Just checking: who has heard of the "goristro"

Post by bayonetbrant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:38 pm

No googling allowed!

Either you've heard of it and can put it into correct context, or not.

We're just checking to see if our intuitions are right, that hardly anyone had ever heard of it before it appeared in print, and it's oversight was hardly a tragedy.
-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
-- Brant
Chief cat herder and editorial director over at www.grogheads.com
Occasional game designer, even less-occasional game publisher
Most importantly, dad to 2 fantastic kids and budding gamers

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Just checking: who has heard of the "goristro"

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:43 pm

That's usually how things work. Appearing in print helps things increase their visibility.

Assuming you mean the demon, I first "heard" about them when they appeared in Planes of Chaos, though they first appeared in print in, erm, I want to say Dragon #75, the same issue as the first Ed Greenwood Nine Hells article, which had some outtakes from Monster Manual II. I didn't know about them before they appeared in print, of course.

Leaving them out of the Monster Manual II may not have been a tragedy, but I'm fond of them, especially as Tony DiTerlizzi illustrated them.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:43 pm
That's usually how things work. Appearing in print helps things increase their visibility.

Assuming you mean the demon, I first "heard" about them when they appeared in Planes of Chaos, though they first appeared in print in, erm, I want to say Dragon #75, the same issue as the first Ed Greenwood Nine Hells article, which had some outtakes from Monster Manual II. I didn't know about them before they appeared in print, of course.

Leaving them out of the Monster Manual II may not have been a tragedy, but I'm fond of them, especially as Tony DiTerlizzi illustrated them.
- Gary Gygax (November 1984). “From the Sorcerer's Scroll: The Goristro revealed”.
- In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #91 (TSR, Inc.), p. 8.
- 3E : Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:28 pm

For me I first came across it in the 3.0/3.5 monster book (I don't recall which) - I had no idea before this post suggested it that it might have a source in mythology.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:34 pm

I believe two of the 3E supplements included these bison-minotaur demons. Possibly Book of Vile Darkness or Fiend Folio in the first place, for 3.0, and then converted to 3.5 in Fiendish Codex 1: Hordes of the Abyss. I definitely didn't need any Google (well Bing actually, since I boycott Google as much as possible) to remind me of this fairly iconic monster.

bayonetbrant
Hobgoblin

Post by bayonetbrant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks everyone :)

The context of why I was asking -

Last night we were recording our next episode of Dragon Up The Past and the Dragon issue we were reading thru has the Goristro in it. Gary Gygax's introduction was quite indignant that the demon had been "forgotten" for MM2.

Our contention was that pretty much no one really noticed that it was "forgotten" from MM2 and that it wasn't all that important anyway.

Given that it didn't really get a worthwhile treatment until Planescape rolled around, and that only 2-3 of y'all ever remember it from the MM2/Dragon Magazine appearance, it pretty much confirmed what we were expecting :)
-- Brant

bayonetbrant
Hobgoblin

Post by bayonetbrant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm
- Gary Gygax (November 1984). “From the Sorcerer's Scroll: The Goristro revealed”.
- In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #91 (TSR, Inc.), p. 8.
- 3E : Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss.
Cheater! :)

(it's fresh in my head from recording last night)
-- Brant

brassdragon
Orc

Post by brassdragon » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 pm

I remembered it was a demon, and my first thought was that I first saw it in MM2. Which shows how reliable my memory can be!

Now I'm trying to remember where I did first see the goristro. It probably was Dragon Magazine -- I didn't discover Dragon until well after #75, but I have the CD-ROM collection and read through it from The Strategic Review #1 through Dragon #250 a few years back.

(And then I just recently found out via Kent David Kelly's Hawk & Moor series that there were also a few issues of "The Strategic Preview" in between The Strategic Review and The Dragon, which did not make it into the CD-ROM archive! Which is another subject entirely. I not only have a faulty memory, but am sometimes easily distracted.)

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:49 am

I remember it from a 1e source, back in the 80's, but never used it in any of my games. However, my 2e gnomish thief8/illusionist7 was killed by one in a lovely 2e campaign about 10 years ago, so I personally do not think any oversight on anyone's account should be forgiven.

Yes, I am biased. :P

They. Are. Dangerous. ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:13 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Same here, first saw them on Planescape. I don't see it being ignored, to my knowledge it's appeared in every edition.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 pm

bayonetbrant
Hobgoblin

Post by bayonetbrant » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:07 pm

So if folks are interested in the episode where we talked about the Goristro, it's live today

http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/19403

There's a lot more in this episode than just the Goristro, but it's in there :)
-- Brant

Return to “The Tabard Inn”