Buck Rogers Bankrupcy

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Buck Rogers Bankrupcy

Post by Havard » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:14 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... cy-1129738

Sean K Reynolds added via Facebook:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:TSR context for this article:
• The Dille Family Trust filing for bankruptcy so it can liquidate its assets and delay/interfere with a trademark/copyright dispute with a company that wants to make a Buck Rogers film (based on a BR story that should be in the public domain now, but the DFT doesn't want it to be in the public domain because it means they can't make money off of it).
• The Dille Family Trust includes Lorraine Williams and Flint Dille.
• Lorraine Williams is the former owner of TSR. Flint Dille, her brother, is friends with Courtney Solomon.
• Solomon is the director and producer of the awful D&D film from 2000.
• Flint arranged for Solomon's company, Sweetpea Entertainment, to get the film rights to D&D, in perpetuity so long as they released a film every five years. Which is why it's been such a struggle to get the rights to another film company, (such as Universal).
This may have consequences for the Buck Rogers brand, possible future D&D movies and many other things.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Buck Rogers Bankrupcy

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Karma strikes?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:44 pm

Flint Dille was actually working on the script that the Dille Family Trust was trying to block.

So the Dille Family Trust doesn't seem to be working in his interest.

According that article, it is Louise Geer and Dan Herman who are representing the Dille Family Trust (as lawyers) and sending out threatening letters claiming that they control the novel Armageddon (despite it being considered public domain in the USA).

That article also says that Dan Herman also controls Hermes Press and that Hermes Press have a deal to print Buck Rogers material.

So is the legal action against Flint Dille something being done to protect Flint Dille's half of royalties (that if copyright law is correct - he is not entitled too anyway) or is the legal action against Flint Dille something being done in the name of Flint Dille to protect the income of Hermes Press?

Why would people working for Flint Dille fight Flint Dille?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:41 am

Hard to say. Could be squabbles inside the Dille Family, or the lawyers trying to exploit their position for profit. It would be hard to see how this could be allowed to happen if the lawyers had no support from within the family though.

I think the Buck Rogers IP needs to come into the Public Domain, but obviously the Dille Family Trust are not the only ones trying to cheat that system.

I also hope this situation will make Sweetpea/Courtney Solomon give up any claim they might still have to the rights of a D&D film.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:09 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:41 am
Hard to say. Could be squabbles inside the Dille Family, or the lawyers trying to exploit their position for profit. It would be hard to see how this could be allowed to happen if the lawyers had no support from within the family though.
Boing Boing says it is the lawyers. They are trustees.

You might also be interested in this other legal battle: 'Buck Rogers' Ownership at Center of Coming Trial.

That's a lawsuit between descendants of author Philip Francis Nowlan (who actually created Buck Rogers) and descendants of John Dille (who syndicated comic strips of Buck Rogers).
Havard wrote:
I think the Buck Rogers IP needs to come into the Public Domain, but obviously the Dille Family Trust are not the only ones trying to cheat that system.
Armageddon—2419 A.D. is already public domain. Other Buck Rogers products are not old enough yet.

The battle to stop the Armageddon—2419 A.D. movie that Flint Dille is working on is copyright trolling. It's not so simple with later stuff where the copyright might not have expired.

And, from what I've heard, the character was not actually called "Buck" Rogers in Armageddon—2419 A.D.
Havard wrote:
I also hope this situation will make Sweetpea/Courtney Solomon give up any claim they might still have to the rights of a D&D film.
I thought that was already sorted. WotC have been talking about a new movie.

The problem they (WotC) have now is that they need to make sure it's not considered a sell-out by fans (as well as needing to make sure it is not a turkey).

I think the critics are going to be hoping to pan any D&D movie that comes out.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:44 pm
Why would people working for Flint Dille fight Flint Dille?
Because the entire concept of Law is based on the neurotic fallacies of people unwilling to accept the most obvious of truths, that they will one day die and come to nothing regardless of what they do, so they have no right to try and immortalize themselves at the expense of others? The entire legal system basically boils down to an attempt at giving the dead power over the living; we who live in America are still victimized by the inherent biases of Thomas Jefferson and his contemporaries (for any other country, substitute whatever other long-dusted progenitors are still keeping you under their thumb).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:41 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:09 am
Havard wrote:
Boing Boing says it is the lawyers. They are trustees.
Aha, I guess there is a difference between the people who are employed to manage the trust and the people who are beneficiaries of the fund (Lorraine Williams and Flint Dille).

In any case, a Bankrupcy in the fund would probably mean the end of that source of revenue for everyone involved. Perhaps they have already seen that their source is of income is running out which is why they are turning on eachother.
Havard wrote:
Armageddon—2419 A.D. is already public domain. Other Buck Rogers products are not old enough yet.

The battle to stop the Armageddon—2419 A.D. movie that Flint Dille is working on is copyright trolling. It's not so simple with later stuff where the copyright might not have expired.

And, from what I've heard, the character was not actually called "Buck" Rogers in Armageddon—2419 A.D.
Yes, he was called Anthony Rogers in 1928 and then changed to Buck Rogers in 1929 when Dille came into the picture.
Havard wrote:
I thought that was already sorted. WotC have been talking about a new movie.
We shall see. As with all these things in the world of corporations, it comes down to money.

If this is settled (as in a movie without Sweetpea actually comes out), it will be the last of the legacy of the Dille/Williams family connected to D&D.
The problem they (WotC) have now is that they need to make sure it's not considered a sell-out by fans (as well as needing to make sure it is not a turkey).

I think the critics are going to be hoping to pan any D&D movie that comes out.
I think a D&D movie has the same problems that video games movies have. There isn't really a great story there to begin with. Something that makes for a great game does not necessarily make for a great movie. So you need to find a great story that fits with the brand. I think Joe Magianello was on the right track when he suggested that the stories from Dragonlance would make for a great D&D movie, although some of the better Forgotten Realms novels might be used as well. Or they could make up a completely new story. However, it needs to be good. That is much more important than having various D&D races, classes and spells name checked.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:07 pm

If this gets untangled I would prefer a high quality tv series (GoT) over a movie. Its a better format for something like Dragon Lance's epic proportions.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:11 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:07 pm
If this gets untangled I would prefer a high quality tv series (GoT) over a movie. Its a better format for something like Dragon Lance's epic proportions.
I imagine Amazon or Netflix getting the deal. One can only hope.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:38 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:07 pm
At first I thought you were taling about Buck Rogers, but sure, a TV series based on Dragonlance or another D&D setting would be cool :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”