Imploding rpg groups

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Imploding rpg groups

Post by shesheyan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 am

My rpg group imploded this week. One player decided he suffered from rpg fatigue and will be playing wargames for the coming months. The other two decided to take courses at university at the same time as a full time job. So once again I'm a GM without players... it sounds temporary, unlike other times in the past when some players couldn't talk to each other anymore...

It was a good run. I managed to GM 12 games over the last 10 months and participate in 5 games as a player. One of my most active rpg period in the 5 years.

;( ;( ;(

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Imploding rpg groups

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Sorry to hear that Shesheyan.

It is good that you had a great run. I've mainly played with players who are my friends outside the hobby too, so if we aren't up for gaming, we usually just end up doing other things together like going to a movie, grabbed some beers or maybe played some board games.

Good luck hunting for new players while you wait for your old group to get back into it! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm very lucky to have such a dedicated 5e group. We've been together for nearly (???) three years now, and I've been the DM for 2 of those years.

Weekly sessions, every Wednesday, began as a game store group. When we'd had enough of the revolving door of fly-by-night players, the core 8 of us left the store for a home campaign.

A few weeks ago, a few of us decided we weren't playing enough D&D, and thanks to a change in my schedule, we now have a second group of mostly the same players who can show up on Sunday evenings. I just got a text from our friend behind the counter of said game store and there are other adult players looking for a home campaign, finding the number of 13 year olds at the the game store to be annoying.

I have no idea how long this can last, but its been a really, really good run, and I'll always be thankful for it, and look back on these years fondly.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:25 pm
Sorry to hear that Shesheyan.

It is good that you had a great run. I've mainly played with players who are my friends outside the hobby too, so if we aren't up for gaming, we usually just end up doing other things together like going to a movie, grabbed some beers or maybe played some board games.

Good luck hunting for new players while you wait for your old group to get back into it! :)

-Havard
I wish I could do that. My original group of high school friends is no more. We all moved to different cities at the end of the 80s. While I've had several groups of rpg after that they were groups of people who shared a passion for rpgs but not necessarily enough connecting points to form a friendship outside the games.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm

I've had two "dry season", in high school and during my PhD. Luckily the younger generations seem to be quite into RPGs, and half of my university group is still active, so I currently have one weekly group and two less frequently active ones.
Of course, living in a large city and working at the university helps a lot.

Elsewhere, I've seen the Adventurers' League work quite well for some people, much more than previous organised play.

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:19 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm
Elsewhere, I've seen the Adventurers' League work quite well for some people, much more than previous organised play.
That could be an option. I'll look into it. ;)

Return to “The Tabard Inn”