[DC] Doom Patrol

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

[DC] Doom Patrol

Post by Kythkyn » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:35 am

If you've got the DC app, you should be watching this! It's honestly really great, and the cast is honestly really good. Plus it's nice to see Brendan Fraser working again.

I think one of the things that makes it work so well is that there are things going on in the world, big things happening, and yet both the audience and the Doom Patrol are just not in on it. Robot Man is also very good at voicing what the audience (at least, in my house) are thinking. I like it a lot. I think more so than Titans, and honestly even Flash.
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [DC] Doom Patrol

Post by shesheyan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:35 am
If you've got the DC app, you should be watching this! It's honestly really great, and the cast is honestly really good. Plus it's nice to see Brendan Fraser working again.

I think one of the things that makes it work so well is that there are things going on in the world, big things happening, and yet both the audience and the Doom Patrol are just not in on it. Robot Man is also very good at voicing what the audience (at least, in my house) are thinking. I like it a lot. I think more so than Titans, and honestly even Flash.
Really enjoyed the Titan episode that featured the Doom Patrol. I'll wait for it to air on the local sci-fi channel in April. ;)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Do they have Crazy Jane yet? Do they have Coagula? If the answers are not "yes" and "no", then I'm out.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:43 pm

The funny thing about this Doom Patrol is, is that they skipped over part the original 60's team, and went with Crazy Jane and inserted Cyborg. (?)

Crazy Jane, I get, because she's late 80's early 90's canon to Doom Patrol, but Cyborg? He was originally in Teen Titans, and inserted popularly into the Super Friends, and finally a member of the Justice League.

...and now he's mysteriously in a third superhero line-up? :roll: I liked him fine in Teen Titans! :?
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:07 pm

willpell wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:53 pm
Do they have Crazy Jane yet? Do they have Coagula? If the answers are not "yes" and "no", then I'm out.
I guess I am not out. Though I agree that Cyborg is an odd inclusion, especially when we already have Robotman.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:08 pm

willpell wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:07 pm
willpell wrote:
I guess I am not out. Though I agree that Cyborg is an odd inclusion, especially when we already have Robotman.
My thoughts exactly. Its not that I dislike Cyborg, its that the character is superfluous.

Of the line-up, I can only comment that I wish they had Beast Boy & Mento in it as well - although I know Beast Boy is in Titans, I had always hoped that the tv/movie adaptations had followed comics continuity a bit closer and featured a Doom Patrol from a bygone era (not necessarily the 60's) with a younger Beast Boy.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm

willpell wrote:

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:08 pm
My thoughts exactly. Its not that I dislike Cyborg, its that the character is superfluous.
I really like the Justice League movie's version of Cyborg; this interpretation is utterly inadequate IMO, and I really hope he isn't being used here *instead* of him ever getting a spin-off movie. I'm hopeful that the success of Aquaman will make up for the relative failure of JL and BVS. But who knows; the failure of BVS should have sunk JL by Hollywood logic.
Of the line-up, I can only comment that I wish they had Beast Boy & Mento in it as well - although I know Beast Boy is in Titans, I had always hoped that the tv/movie adaptations had followed comics continuity a bit closer and featured a Doom Patrol from a bygone era (not necessarily the 60's) with a younger Beast Boy.
I have no idea who Mento is, and Beast Boy, like Cyborg, is a Teen Titans character to me. I know he does have history with Doom Patrol, but it just doesn't feel like a fit to me. He's a goofy kid, he should be in the Titans, even more than Cyborg (whose move into the JLA feels entirely appropriate to me).
ripvanwormer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm
The powers suck too. Though not as much as the fact that Coagula got those powers as an STI from Negative Man.....

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:42 pm

I've watched the first three episode. I get what they are trying to do but it falls flat for me. I'm not really invested in any of the characters. The narrative tension is non-existant. Not sure I'll continue watching.

Cyborg is young and is not yet part of the Justice League. He tries to be the leader of this band of misfits who have no clue how to be heroes.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:43 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:42 pm
I've watched the first three episode. I get what they are trying to do but it falls flat for me. I'm not really invested in any of the characters. The narrative tension is non-existant. Not sure I'll continue watching.
The think the draw for us is that the characters really just don't want to be there, and don't really know how to react to most of it. And I think Brendan Fraser honestly is a very good actor and manages to emote through that robot face well. Same with the guy who plays Negative Man. I also think that, as the series goes on, we got more interested in the characters, but also it's interesting to watch them try really hard, and usually kind of fail, at trying to do the right thing. I still think of all the DC shows, Supergirl is my favourite, but my household has been enjoying the kind of ridiculousness that is Doom Patrol
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:43 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:42 pm
The think the draw for us is that the characters really just don't want to be there, and don't really know how to react to most of it. And I think Brendan Fraser honestly is a very good actor and manages to emote through that robot face well. Same with the guy who plays Negative Man. I also think that, as the series goes on, we got more interested in the characters, but also it's interesting to watch them try really hard, and usually kind of fail, at trying to do the right thing. I still think of all the DC shows, Supergirl is my favourite, but my household has been enjoying the kind of ridiculousness that is Doom Patrol
I tried watching the fourth episode. I'm a big fan of absurd à la Terry Gilliam (Brazil, etc) but Doom Patrol doesn't do anything for me.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”