[MCU] Your Top 10 Favorite Films?

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
willpell
Black Dragon

Re: [MCU] Your Top 10 Favorite Films?

Post by willpell » Sat May 04, 2019 5:18 am

I would really like to see the Mole Man done justice in a film. No more Dr. Dooms, please.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Tue May 07, 2019 10:33 pm

The Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie can be watched here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EyQ4a3OEA

I will say this about it...
1) It is better than every other Fantastic Four movie.
2) The actors did a great job.
3) The plot makes sense.
4) It is a low budget movie and the special effects are mediocre.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:39 am
I have a sneaking suspicion it was Reed Richards that bought Stark/Avengers tower in NYC during Spiderman. The word Stark gave the A for Avengers, and now the A will become a 4! I know, dopey fan theory, but man do I want to see them in the MCU with Doom as the next big bad.
I remember that from Spider-Man Homecoming, but the FF has always had the Baxter Building!

I hope it was Norman Osborn that bought the Stark Building, as that would give Spider-Man's most worthy foe another shot in the MCU/Sony series.

Or, keeping this in line with FF based theories... Doctor Doom! :twisted:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun May 12, 2019 11:47 pm

NPCDave wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:33 pm
The Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie can be watched here...
Thank you so much! I've had my existence greatly enhanced by this discovery.
1) It is better than every other Fantastic Four movie.
I wouldn't go that far, as I'm very fond of the mid-2000s version with Chris Evans (who absolutely nails the character he's playing) and Jessica Alba (who doesn't, but she is hot, so I'm not too upset - which is exactly what the filmmakers had in mind, so I'm sorry, but they wouldn't pander to my demographic if we didn't factually exist). But I did very much enjoy this movie; while it has MASSIVE flaws, it also does a number of things right, and the bottom line is, it's FUN. I wouldn't even call it a mixed blessing; it's legitimately good in more ways than not; I give it 4/5 stars, and I'm tentatively planning to do an exhaustive review of it (probably on YouTube if I can ever get my act together well enough to start a channel).
2) The actors did a great job.
Mostly, yeah. Johnny fell a bit flat, and the mooks were fairly ridiculous, and Ben and Victor were hampered severely by their costumes and altered voices. But yeah, the other main characters all worked quite well most of the time, and the actress who plays Sue did an absolutely incredible job (the Storms are clearly exactly the opposite of each other in these two movies; I find myself hoping that they come out equally good or bad in Fan4stic, just so that Reed and/or Ben can have a turn at being the best and/or worst).
3) The plot makes sense.
Well, sort of. Good enough by the standard of pre-MCU superhero movies. I compare this one a lot in my head to the first two Spider-Man movies and to the Green Lantern flick (which is a little post-MCU but well before it turned into the juggernaut it is now). I know some people think it's heresy that I even mention those in the same breath as each other, but I have a soft spot for the Reynolds GL film even though I hate Reynolds's portrayal itself (I thought he was just a garbage actor until Deadpool came out; clearly that was the role he was born to play), and IMO the Sam Raimi trilogy has not aged well at all. I enjoyed them back in the day, just as I did the 2000s Fantastic 4, but the difference in how much I enjoy them now is STARK. The "je ne sais quoi" is very firmly with Evans and Alba et al, whereas Tobey Maguire was clearly very much a phenomenon of his time IMHO.
4) It is a low budget movie and the special effects are mediocre.
It is a VERY low budget movie, which brilliantly cuts corners in several places, and then does a spectacularly bad job in several others (the entire CGI segment with Johnny vs. the laser at the end is far and away the worst part of the movie, and it serves no purpose whatsoever; I would eject it completely). Honestly, I think they should have spent a little more money (and preferably taken it away from the CGI effects-house which proved its rank incompetence), fixed the script, filmed a few extra scenes in addition to the existing ones (the film is only 90 minutes, though it surprisingly doesn't feel rushed except in a couple places), and made something decent enough that they could actually put it out. By 1994 standards and with just a few edits, this film would have been amazingly good; we might have gotten the FFCU instead of the MCU, a decade and a half earlier.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”