[Marvel] Quantum Realm

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Seethyr
Couatl

[Marvel] Quantum Realm

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 02, 2019 3:33 am

It featured heavily in Antman 2, and if you get to see the extended cut there’s a rather telling extra scene that adds a lot of detail to it. In the comics, it’s called the microverse and has many many more stories set there.

Do you think the Quantum Realm would make a good adventure location for a campaign or side trek? Shrink those players down, kill some tardigrades along the way, and voila?
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Marvel] Quantum Realm

Post by shesheyan » Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Sure, as long as its a one-shot game of 4-5 hours, its fun to throw a curve ball at the players.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm
Sure, as long as its a one-shot game of 4-5 hours, its fun to throw a curve ball at the players.
Yeah I just think I’m itching to stat up a “giant” tardigrade.

EDIT: <sigh>. Nm lol. https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Giant_Tar ... _Creature)
Last edited by Seethyr on Thu May 02, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu May 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Nothing about the Quantum Realm as presented in the two Ant-Man movies actually makes any logical sense, so no, not really. They treat it pretty much interchangeably with the "infinite dimensions of magic" that Doctor Strange is catapulted through by the Ancient One; it's not meant to be taken seriously, it's just there to blow the minds of children and stoners and anyone else who can suspend the total weight of their disbelief with a single hair plucked from their own head. Guys like me, who actually want everything to be plotted out in a consistent and reasonable fashion, are seldom satisfied by the standards upheld by Hollywood writers, and this was not one of the handful of exceptions to that overall trend. The Quantum Realm is just there to be pretty and look cool; there's nothing underneath it that you could possibly hope to mine, as best I can recollect from the one time I saw the flick.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 02, 2019 11:34 pm

willpell wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Nothing about the Quantum Realm as presented in the two Ant-Man movies actually makes any logical sense, so no, not really. They treat it pretty much interchangeably with the "infinite dimensions of magic" that Doctor Strange is catapulted through by the Ancient One; it's not meant to be taken seriously, it's just there to blow the minds of children and stoners and anyone else who can suspend the total weight of their disbelief with a single hair plucked from their own head. Guys like me, who actually want everything to be plotted out in a consistent and reasonable fashion, are seldom satisfied by the standards upheld by Hollywood writers, and this was not one of the handful of exceptions to that overall trend. The Quantum Realm is just there to be pretty and look cool; there's nothing underneath it that you could possibly hope to mine, as best I can recollect from the one time I saw the flick.
Actually, beyond the fun aspects of of a movie, Marvel hired a well-known (and quite talented, I believe he’s the head of the physics department at the California Institute of Technology) physicist to make the science somewhat logical and reasonable. I can’t remember his name, but it was Spyro or something that sounded like a superhero name in itself. I also know this because I teach physics and mathematics myself. That’s part of what interests me so much about this land of bizarre mathematical anomalies.

And of course the giant tardigrades.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 am

Seethyr wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 pm
shesheyan wrote:

These a really scary!

The survival of Ms Pim (Michele Phiffer) in the Quantum realm for years, and her bad ass fighter look, suggests it's a place full of danger and adventure.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 pm

The movies were a whiz-bang "WOW!" bit for the "Quantum Realm", or the Microverse in ancient Marvel comics lore.

In the late 70's Michael Golden & Bill Mantlo brought the Micronaut toy line to life in Marvel comics. It was one of my favorite toy lines, and that led to a great story set in the Marvel Universe.

Yes, I could see an entire campaign setting in the Microverse, and it goes far beyond what was depicted in Ant-Man and Ant-Man & the Wasp. The movies only, for the briefest of seconds actually depicted any intelligent life in their Quantum Realm. I have the movies on blu-ray and I paused it at just the right moment to see the domed microversian city in the background. I would have loved it if the movies had explored this place in closer detail.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 pm

I like the idea of using the Quantum Realm as the basis of a campaign. I haven't read the micronauts or too many other comics set in this realm, but I do remember some old comics about Hulk and Queen Jarella.

I think this campaign could work well as a world hopping type of campaign.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 pm
I have the movies on blu-ray and I paused it at just the right moment to see the domed microversian city in the background.
Wow, that's quite a find. While I still stand by my earlier statement that the whole idea is nonsense, I do fondly remember Hulk and Jamella; I had no idea there was actually a tie-in to it in the film, and I definitely agree that's cool, just as an Easter Egg.
I would have loved it if the movies had explored this place in closer detail.
That part I do disagree with you on; even for a fairly silly franchise like Ant-Man, that would have been going too far in the direction of utter insanity and digression from the already-ridiculous plot. Now that its existence is established in canon, a film actually going there is supportable, but Ant-Man 2 didn't need to be burdened down that much, just as the events of Thor 3 would have been too much for a second movie (and thus I consider Thor 2's existence justified, even though it was pretty thoroughly bad in and of itself).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 pm
Yes, I could see an entire campaign setting in the Microverse, and it goes far beyond what was depicted in Ant-Man and Ant-Man & the Wasp. The movies only, for the briefest of seconds actually depicted any intelligent life in their Quantum Realm. I have the movies on blu-ray and I paused it at just the right moment to see the domed microversian city in the background. I would have loved it if the movies had explored this place in closer detail.
Could you provide some screencaps/pics? :)

I fully expect Ant-Man 3 or other future movies to explore this realm further. Maybe we'll even see Hulk show up and finally meet Jarella?

I could also see Doctor Strange explore the quantum realm since it is presented more or less like another dimension or a nexus between dimensions.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 am
Could you provide some screencaps/pics? :)

I fully expect Ant-Man 3 or other future movies to explore this realm further. Maybe we'll even see Hulk show up and finally meet Jarella?

I could also see Doctor Strange explore the quantum realm since it is presented more or less like another dimension or a nexus between dimensions.

-Havard
"Pics or it didn't happen!" :lol:

Sorry, no screen caps because my blu-ray is not connected to my laptop. If I had internet at home, I might be able to configure something to accommodate this, but right now - and for a great deal longer - no.

Jarella: Had to google that character! ;)

Doctor Strange: Perhaps this story would work much later in an ongoing series, but I feel that the Quantum Realm is not in Strange's wheelbox; his domain concerns the magical and mystical realms more than the sub-atomic, IMO.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:07 pm
Doctor Strange: Perhaps this story would work much later in an ongoing series, but I feel that the Quantum Realm is not in Strange's wheelbox; his domain concerns the magical and mystical realms more than the sub-atomic, IMO.
The idea behind suggesting such a crossover is that when you get down that small, the difference between magic and science becomes less relevant. I disagree with this theory myself, but people who agree with this theory are the ones who suggest this connection is possible.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 10, 2019 10:41 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:48 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:07 pm
The idea behind suggesting such a crossover is that when you get down that small, the difference between magic and science becomes less relevant. I disagree with this theory myself, but people who agree with this theory are the ones who suggest this connection is possible.
This theory works for most explanations in popular fiction and is an easy out for movie makers (not just the MCU, but the MCU has used this theory to explain the Asgardian "Nine Realms" cosmology), but Doctor Strange was, and hopefully still is - the Master of the Magical and Mystical realms for the Marvel universe.

The use of Magic certainly could transport one to the sub-atomic/Quantum Realm, but for Doc Strange, that would be just another Tuesday, like when he used Magic to transport himself to the Moon, or the Dark Dimension. ;)

One thing I will say about the Dr. Strange movie is that I found the movie to be acceptable, I harbor some disappointment with the MCU depiction of Magic. Flashy, yes - but overall it seems like it was accomplished using technology, ie: digital fractals to create all those broken mirror effects, and there really is no actual presentation of Mysticism or Magic in the movie at all. Sure, there were some items that were named, but nothing regarding the Occult was ever once implied.

And I understand that linking a character to "the Occult" is something that Disney wants to steer away from, but jeez. I remember the Dr. Strange tv movie from who knows how long ago that was, and I remember as a kid that the show actually had magic. Horrible special effects, script, acting and costumes, but still. :lol:

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat May 11, 2019 12:59 am

Strange’s best movie scenes are fighting Thanos on Titan, hands down. I also loved the Dormammu scene - so much so I named my big headed kitten after him lol

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat May 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:59 am
Strange’s best movie scenes are fighting Thanos on Titan, hands down. I also loved the Dormammu scene - so much so I named my big headed kitten after him lol
Every time I watch Infinity War on blu-ray, that fight on Titan becomes the most anticipated scene for me. "Magic with a kick!" - Spider-Man. :mrgreen:

We all knew that Dormammu is just a big Calico kitty. Just so happens that big Calico is the ruler of the Dark Dimension. :lol:

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm

IMO the Doctor Strange movie is near-perfect. I have no problem at all with the way they depict magic; it's kind of sciencey-feeling, but that fits very well with the fact that the Asgardians "come from a world where magic and science are one and the same", as the original Thor movie puts it (although, as a Looper video points out, Thor 3 undermines that hard by giving both Hela and Thor very explictly magical-seeming abilities with no apparent external source). The idea that every "spell" that Mister Doctor can cast is just "downloading a program" to harness energy from another dimension, with different but entirely concrete physical laws that can temporarily overwrite our own, is a very solid interpretation of Clark's Law. This isn't how "magic" overall should work IMO, but it's very appropriate in the context of Marvel's particular definition thereof (strongly contrasting with DC, where the existence of titles like Hellblazer, Lucifer and the Sandman very strongly emphasizes that this is a universe with REAL magic, just as the Spectre and Zauriel and several other characters explicitly confirm that the DC universe has a REAL version of God, whose nicely mysterious nature works for me even as a fervent antitheist).

And yes, the Infinity War version of Doc Strange was magnificently OP, particularly when fighting Thanos directly, but why not? Obviously he's not going to have as impressive a degree of control of his own powers during an origin story. (And since Doctor Strange 2 is likely to focus on...well, I won't spoil, but you know what I'm alluding to...this doesn't likely lead the next movie toward giving us a "no holds barred" magic show either, so this is probably as good as we're going to get, at least until a third movie kicks everything up a notch, the way it has consistently done for Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America).

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 pm
shesheyan wrote:

FYI, I've statted up giant tardigrades for Pathfinder here.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”