Excited about new Avatar movies?

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
willpell
Black Dragon

Excited about new Avatar movies?

Post by willpell » Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 pm

2021: Avatar 2
2023: Avatar 3
2025: Avatar 4
2027: Avatar 5
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Admin Edit: Split from this topic about Star Wars movies.

-Dragon Turtle

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: New Star Wars Trilogy starts in 2022

Post by Khedrac » Thu May 09, 2019 8:45 am

willpell wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 pm
2021: Avatar 2
2023: Avatar 3
2025: Avatar 4
2027: Avatar 5
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
That was pretty much my reaction too. I suspect they will decide on the rest when they find out how the first sequel fairs.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: New Star Wars Trilogy starts in 2022

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat May 11, 2019 3:55 am

I am actually quite looking forward to the new Avatar movies.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Excited about new Avatar movies?

Post by Havard » Sat May 11, 2019 2:52 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the first Avatar movie.

However, this is not just a Disney cash grab to make up for the money they spent on buying Fox. Fox already grenlit these and have been working on them for years spearheaded by James Cameron.

The man gave us movies like Aliens, Terminator 1, Terminator 2,True Lies and The Abyss. Not everything Prouced by Cameron has been as great, but from what I understand, Cameron will be directing these movies himself.

While both world building and story of the first Avatar movie were so-so, I think there was enough potential there to be optimistic. Want a series of sci fi movies from one of the best directors in Hollywood? We're getting that :)

And Disney money backing them now probably doesnt hurt either.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat May 11, 2019 2:59 pm

To a certain extent, I think the reputation of Avatar suffered because money that could have gone into developing the story and shooting better instead went into showcasing the then-new 3D technology. If they had planned to shoot it from the ground up as a 'conventional' movie, money that was spent developing the new technology might have gone into other areas, making for a better movie experience.

Now that the 3D technology is relatively mature and film makers have a better idea of what kind of shots work and don't work with the technology, I am cautiously optimistic that they might create something great with this campaign setting.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat May 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Whelp, not as excited about it as the remaining slate of Marvel and Godzilla movies, but it’s something to do. Better this than an announcement like...

2020: The Notebook 2
2022: The Notebook 3
2024: The Notebook 4
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat May 11, 2019 7:05 pm

I haven't been paying attention to anything in the works from anyone, so this is news to me. I expected an Avatar sequel a long time ago, and am surprised that it took them this long to get the ball rolling. But 5 Avatar movies in all? :?

I'm sure that no matter what they wind up with at the end of post-production these movies will be major blockbusters for the general movie-going public, but they better have their collective acts together if they want them to actually be any good.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:59 pm
To a certain extent, I think the reputation of Avatar suffered because money that could have gone into developing the story and shooting better instead went into showcasing the then-new 3D technology. If they had planned to shoot it from the ground up as a 'conventional' movie, money that was spent developing the new technology might have gone into other areas, making for a better movie experience.

Now that the 3D technology is relatively mature and film makers have a better idea of what kind of shots work and don't work with the technology, I am cautiously optimistic that they might create something great with this campaign setting.
Excellent point.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat May 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:28 pm
Whelp, not as excited about it as the remaining slate of Marvel and Godzilla movies, but it’s something to do. Better this than an announcement like...

Heck I'd be down for those. The Notebook is my all time favorite romance movie...I'd love to see more.

Social Media

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun May 12, 2019 12:14 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:08 pm
Seethyr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Heck I'd be down for those. The Notebook is my all time favorite romance movie...I'd love to see more.
Lol I just couldn’t think of a movie that is less like Avatar, that’s all
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun May 12, 2019 3:19 am

Seethyr wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:14 am
Lol I just couldn’t think of a movie that is less like Avatar, that’s all
Lol. Makes sense. :lol:

Social Media

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun May 12, 2019 11:31 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:59 pm
I couldn't disagree more. Good stories are not hard to manufacture on far lesser budgets; Avatar was a mind-blowing visual experience which exceeded the previous bar set by the Matrix, and hasn't yet been exceeded itself IMO (though Pacific Rim and Doctor Strange both come close). The 3D in particular was the best part of the sheer spectacle which was this movie's big offer, and I would still happily pay $20 to see it in a 3D theater again (ditto for both of those others I named).

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon May 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Nope. Pocahontas in space didn't grab my interest. The first movie felt very long... was happy to leave the theater.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:53 pm
Nope. Pocahontas in space didn't grab my interest. The first movie felt very long... was happy to leave the theater.
I think that was a different movie. Or do you mean "Dances With Ferngully Wolves in Space"? :lol:

I was unfortunate to MISS Avatar in the theater, and it would not have mattered, for at the time there were no 3D capable theaters where I live. :(

Would love to catch the 3D version in the theater, if it were ever to be re-released. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Could not possibly care less about Avatar sequels, or Avatar in general.
Last edited by ghendar on Sat May 18, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 pm

I don't think the universe was compelling enough for one sequel, let alone four. But I guess we'll see?
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 pm
I don't think the universe was compelling enough for one sequel, let alone four. But I guess we'll see?
One sequel..... maybe. The film left a very small window of opportunity open for a sequel, but I don't see a series of films coming out - 10 years after the original.

But, they finally did a sequel to Bladerunner that met with approval from some fans, but overall was not a box-office smash. I can't see Cameron fronting a blockbuster film that isn't destined to be a box-office smash like the original was.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 17, 2019 11:22 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 pm
I think that was a different movie. Or do you mean "Dances With Ferngully Wolves in Space"? :lol:
I have seen both Avatar and Dances with Wolves, and I really don't see them having all that much in common with each other. You might as well be claiming that Star Wars isn't any different from Jupiter Ascending, since they both have chosen-one heroes having space adventures.
I was unfortunate to MISS Avatar in the theater, and it would not have mattered, for at the time there were no 3D capable theaters where I live. :(
Glad to have your signature on my petition. Now if only we could convince my country to give a crap about the existence of yours (or any others, really, apart from China and Mexico and maybe Japan).

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat May 18, 2019 9:14 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:22 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 pm
I have seen both Avatar and Dances with Wolves, and I really don't see them having all that much in common with each other. You might as well be claiming that Star Wars isn't any different from Jupiter Ascending, since they both have chosen-one heroes having space adventures.
Glad to have your signature on my petition. Now if only we could convince my country to give a crap about the existence of yours (or any others, really, apart from China and Mexico and maybe Japan).
:lol:

Well, Avatar does take the "going native" motif to a new level, and I've heard comparisons between Avatar's 'save the forests' theme to Ferngully.

As for giving a crap about my country, that's okay, no need. The best way to travel through my country (so I've heard) is to fly over it, and I'm okay with not having mindless tourists come here screwing up the local scenery. :twisted:

Return to “The Tabard Inn”