[Star Wars] "Maclunky"????

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.

"Maclunky"?

Better than before
No votes
Worse than before
22%
What the heck is a "Maclunky"?
78%

Total votes: 9

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Star Wars] "Maclunky"????

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 am

The word "Maclunky" is trending on the social media after Disney just released the new version of Star Wars: A New Hope that George Lucas created before selling Star Wars to them.

Have you seen the Maclunky scene yet? It's the new edit of Han shooting first/Greedo shooting first.

Are you going to drop the word "Maclunky" in your tabletop Star Wars games?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Star Wars] "Maclunky"????

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:40 am

According to this, Greedo is actually saying "ma klounkee," which is Huttese for "this is the end of you."

This website has Huttese phrases and translations from the various movies, and apparently Sebulba also uses the phrase in the Episode I script.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:00 am

The original edit was pointless and ill-advised, and every subsequent edit (I think we're up to three at least now?) serves no real purpose other than to further draw attention to the stupidity of any of it.

I recall an (all-too brief) conversation I had with Mark Hamill when he was a guest at an event my father conducted for the State Parks a decade ago (pre-new trilogy) where even he noted that George should probably stop messing around with the original trilogy (a 3D version was being discussed at the time; prior to selling to Disney).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:33 am

Good gawd that's terrible. That scene gets worse with each edit. What the hell is Greedo armed with? A BB-gun with a crooked barrel? Was he even aiming at Han, or the fly on the wall 2' from Han's head? Makes Greedo look so damned inept that Han was never in danger of being killed; the original at least gave the impression Greedo was going to kill Han if Han didn't beat him to the punch. If they don't like the damned scene, just cut it entirely instead of doing idiotic Frankenstein cuts that get worse every time they touch it.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:47 am

Not to be "that bitch", but I am glad I still have my original, untouched VHSs
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:33 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:40 am
According to this, Greedo is actually saying "ma klounkee," which is Huttese for "this is the end of you."

This website has Huttese phrases and translations from the various movies, and apparently Sebulba also uses the phrase in the Episode I script.
Interesting.

Huttese looks to be a lot less developed than Klingon. I can't see a Huttese dictiionary coming out anytime soon.

EDIT: Meanwhile, I saw this "explanation". :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”