Mystoerth

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Mystoerth

Postby galliard » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Has anyone ever seen this map?

http://www.canonfire.com/BIN/mystoerth.gif

I thought since I enjoy both Mystara and Greyhawk, I might use this map to combine the two when gaming.

I wondered what issues might come up when doing this.

First of all, timelines. I was thinking that the Greyhawk timeline (which ends about 998, I believe?) could be simultaneous with the Mystaran timeline. Thus, the Greyhawk timeline would "end" two years prior to the time of the Gazetteers, 1000 A.C. Prior to 1000 A.C. the vast mountain range separates Greyhawk from Mystara and they know not of each other's existence. Post 1000 A.C., the settings could combine, probably through a voyage of discovery by an Alphatian airship.

Blackmoor. It's tempting to say that the Blackmoor located in Greyhawk is just the modern-day version of the ancient Blackmoor that was retrofitted into Mystara's past. I realize I would probably have to alter the official Mystara version of events to allow this, but that's in keeping with the spirit of the game.

The name Mystoerth doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, though, does it?
galliard
Gnoll

Re: Mystoerth

Postby Havard » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:54 pm

galliard wrote:Has anyone ever seen this map?

http://www.canonfire.com/BIN/mystoerth.gif

Yeah, its a really nice map :)

I thought since I enjoy both Mystara and Greyhawk, I might use this map to combine the two when gaming.

Like chocolate and peanut butter? :mrgreen:

I wondered what issues might come up when doing this.

First of all, timelines. I was thinking that the Greyhawk timeline (which ends about 998, I believe?) could be simultaneous with the Mystaran timeline. Thus, the Greyhawk timeline would "end" two years prior to the time of the Gazetteers, 1000 A.C. Prior to 1000 A.C. the vast mountain range separates Greyhawk from Mystara and they know not of each other's existence. Post 1000 A.C., the settings could combine, probably through a voyage of discovery by an Alphatian airship.

I don't know enough about Greyhawk, but the thing about the timelines is interesting.

Blackmoor. It's tempting to say that the Blackmoor located in Greyhawk is just the modern-day version of the ancient Blackmoor that was retrofitted into Mystara's past. I realize I would probably have to alter the official Mystara version of events to allow this, but that's in keeping with the spirit of the game.

How about having Greyhawk's blackmoor be founded by refugees fleeing the destruction of the original Blackmoor?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby JamesMishler » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:02 pm

This reminds me (again), I actually wrote up a history to go with that map when I first drew it. The original files are long, long gone, but I found a print out of the history a couple months back. I have to dig around again and find that, see what I can do with it. Not sure if it is the complete version or not... it seemed extensive though.

A few notes that I recall very dimly:

The core history is that of Mystara, with the Oerth elements tacked on for the portion of the world that is the Flanaess.

Bakluni are descended from Oltecs, Neathar, and Peshwah.

Suloise are descended from Skandaharians.

Flan are Neathar.

Oeridians are descended from Blackmoorians specifically; this ties in with my Grand Blackmoor History. In "Mystoerth," the Oerdians were Blackmoorians who returned from other colony worlds on the Starship Tdon, which crash-landed when it was attacked by ancient orbital defenses.

Olmen are Oltec/Azcan; Touv are Tangori. The Celestial Imperium is Oltec.

Local demi-humans have only tenuous relation to the modern demi-humans of the Known World (i.e., dwarves of the Flanaess are the old dwarves, not the modern Kagyar dwarves). Demi-humans and the beastmen-descended races were the first to arrive in the Flanaess after it rose from the depths following the (original) Great Rain of Fire. Drow are native to the Flanaess, but not found elsewhere.

The Rain of Colorless Fire and the Invoked Devastation both used Blackmoorian devices.

There's more, but I need to dig that stuff up...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby galliard » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks for that, James. Those ideas are helpful for getting started with this.

Just from a quick look at the Greyhawk timelines out there, it seems like parts of the Greyhawk timeline will have to be pretty seriously shoehorned into Mystara, but I find that timelines never really work "as is" in campaign settings anyway.

Future history is especially problematic since, if you believe in free will, the actions of the PC's should dramatically change the trajectory of world events. (Anyone remember that Ray Bradbury story about the guy who goes back in time and kills a prehistoric butterfly?).
galliard
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks for the added details James! I was always wondering how to connect the human groups of the two settings and I don't know enough anout GH to have done something like this myself.

I was working on a slightly different idea, making Greyhawk be contemporary with Mystara's Blackmoor era ie 5000 years before the Gazetteer Era.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby galliard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:25 pm

That island in the northeast corner of the map - I've never seen that on Greyhawk maps. What is it called?
galliard
Gnoll

Postby JamesMishler » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:02 pm

galliard wrote:That island in the northeast corner of the map - I've never seen that on Greyhawk maps. What is it called?

That's Fireland. It's from the Dragon Annual Greyhawk map. It is described as "A land not unlike the Hellfurnaces region of the Flanaess. Volcanoes and geysers sprout amid glaciers. A hardy folk dwells among the coastal fjords."
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:14 pm

JamesMishler wrote:
galliard wrote:That island in the northeast corner of the map - I've never seen that on Greyhawk maps. What is it called?

That's Fireland. It's from the Dragon Annual Greyhawk map. It is described as "A land not unlike the Hellfurnaces region of the Flanaess. Volcanoes and geysers sprout amid glaciers. A hardy folk dwells among the coastal fjords."

That sounds like a fairly interesting region. Did someone decide to delete it after Dragon Annual came out?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Big Mac wrote:That sounds like a fairly interesting region. Did someone decide to delete it after Dragon Annual came out?

I don't think so. I vaguely recall it being mentioned in the Living Greyhawk book. Not that there was a whole lot of GH material that came out after Dragon Annual 1, and the Living Greyhawk chapters were limited to their own little corner of the world. But if you want ideas for Fireland, read up on Iceland... ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Return to Mystara