Episode III: Reborn

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Episode III: Reborn

Postby Ambreville » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:47 pm

This is the third in a series of promotional short stories written by Bruce Heard for the World of Calidar. Click here for Episode One: “The Cleansing”

Episode Three: Reborn

“Brother Azar”

The incisive voice penetrated the blur in his mind like a burrowing insect, insignificant at first, unstoppable at last. He knew that voice. He’d heard it not long ago in his magical prison, a presence both odd and familiar, unknown yet somehow deeply ingrained in his soul.

“Arise, my servant! Stand before me.”

The last shreds of near-death faded. Naked and shivering, Azar stood in a vast chamber, on a circular platform surrounded with glowing water as far as he could see. Pillars of the bluish fluid formed slender columns, flowing slowly upward into dimness. Unseen in the distance, the ranks of legions murmured prayers suffusing the chamber. Before him, perhaps a hundred steps away, sat a most magnificent queen on a throne of obsidian. She seemed immense, at least three times his own size, perhaps more. He couldn’t quite tell. He felt he’d always known her. Her attire’s tight-fitting black leather contrasted with her skin’s pearly paleness and black hair. His own nudity did not shame him, for she was mother, mistress, and monarch—a goddess before her mortal servant. He had naught to hide while she peered into his heart and mind. Whatever distance truly separated them failed to prevent Azar from perceiving her eyes as if she gazed into his from just a few inches away. Green and marbled with gold, her irises sheathed vertical pupils that briefly vanished under nictitating membranes when she blinked.

Azar bowed. Though his left hand and forearm were missing, his wounds no longer ached. He sensed she had seen to his wellbeing. At last he’d found his peace and true purpose.

“Speak, My Queen, and I shall serve.”

Her dark and penetrating voice resonnated again. “You have fought wisely. It is time for you to seize the glory that awaits you. Serve me well, and I shall replace your tortured flesh with my own. Become my champion, and I shall love you and make you master among mortals.”

Overcome with awe, Azar kneeled. Her words were like calligraphic ink gracing a blank page. Like water in a fiery desert, he thirsted for more. “So shall it be, My Queen.”

“Be one with your brethren. Learn as they learn. Fight as they fight. Pray and honor me as they do.”

The melopoeia grew stronger. When he lifted his gaze once more, his divine patron and her throne had vanished. In their place stood a colossal silvery door imbedded with black reptilian coils. As he stepped forward, Azar found he could tread across the glowing water. The gate slowly opened when he approached. Beyond stood praying cohorts, clad in steel and bearing white tabards emblazoned with the likeness of the Black Queen. A maiden among them approached, carrying the vestments of a knight, shield, and sword. Her gaze beckoned him to come forth and claim a place among his brothers and sisters of the faith.

To be continued. . .

This short story was written in connection with the upcoming Kickstarter campaign for the new World of Calidar. Others will follow on different forums and blogs during the coming weeks.

Click here to track down all these episodes and, one layer at a time, unveil different aspects of this new fantasy setting. Click here for the original announcement about Calidar. Be sure to read it if you haven’t already.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by Ambreville on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Re: Episode III: Reborn

Postby Chimpman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:35 am

Bruce, I'm totally glued to the edge of my seat! The story hasn't gone exactly where I was expecting it to go, but it has certainly kept my attention. I can't wait for more!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:42 am

Ive been a bit busy/distracted lately, but I have printed out all the episodes and hope to read them soon :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Ambreville » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I finished another two (making it five more in queue waiting fore release). More coming.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Return to Calidar