Ah screw it.... Admiral Havard reporting!

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Moderator: Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Ah screw it.... Admiral Havard reporting!

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Alright, I caved in. The added Pathfinder Rules, art and map upgrades etc makes it worth it!

Anyone else with me in increasing their pledges? Can we get the the Full Color Ship Profiles as well? :)

70 hours to go now!

PS: I added 8 dollars to get an extra poster map as well. How do add ons work again? Are we asked to specify those later?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Ah screw it.... Admiral Havard reporting!

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Havard wrote:Alright, I caved in. The added Pathfinder Rules, art and map upgrades etc makes it worth it!

Anyone else with me in increasing their pledges? Can we get the the Full Color Ship Profiles as well? :)

70 hours to go now!

PS: I added 8 dollars to get an extra poster map as well. How do add ons work again? Are we asked to specify those later?
Welcome to the ranks :mrgreen: I may have to go back and add some more posters on. I've got 1 of each right now, but I'm thinking 2 of each would be better... I really hope we can get that last stretch goal! I want to see the 5 skyships!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Seriously considering upgrading. Will check budget.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:02 am

Many, many thanks, Håvard! And John, too. :D

Actually, many thanks to everyone who has backed. As a member of this community, I'm really proud to be able to say that we have come through to support Bruce's project to this extent. The Mystara community comprises Bruce's core fan base, and Calidar may well not have been possible without our help.

It's easy for me to put my full support behind this project. A lot of this comes from faith in Bruce and his work, but I've also been on the team almost from the beginning, and I suppose you could say I have tangible proof of Calidar's potential. I know that many of you share the same faith in Bruce, but it's always going to be a leap to turn that faith into real money to back a project, and I am very, very grateful to all of you for making that leap.

With that said... Back to work! The end of the Kickstarter heralds a slowing down of the PR machine, which is much needed in order to get things finished and ready for release. During these past two months we've been spending a lot of time on previews, so it'll be great to concentrate on the end product once again. I'm really going to miss reading Bruce's short stories, though. ;)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks guys!

I went in at Captain's Level early on, but ever since then I have been debating with myself whether to increase my pledge.

Some things I will need suggestions on:
1) What do I name my Island? Something based on my name, home town, or something Arneson-related? Or something else?
2) I've currently paid for one additional poster map. Should I get the world map or the Meryath one?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:16 am

Havard wrote:I went in at Captain's Level early on, but ever since then I have been debating with myself whether to increase my pledge.
Thanks again for this! :D
Some things I will need suggestions on:
1) What do I name my Island? Something based on my name, home town, or something Arneson-related? Or something else?
On a purely personal level I'd love to see something based on your name, so that when we look at it we'll all know it's linked with you. But anything you choose will have that effect if you tell us what you chose. :D
2) I've currently paid for one additional poster map. Should I get the world map or the Meryath one?
Since one poster map is included with Admiral, you can get both maps. By default the included map is the Great Caldera, which will be a more developed, polished version of the topographical map I posted on my blog; and the second map is Meryath in hex format, likely also including some insets with the Glorathon area and perhaps even a city map of Glorathon. (Nothing is set in stone yet, though.)

Regarding the world map, I'm not sure yet where we're going to be able to fit it in. It may appear as an inset on one of the poster maps, though I haven't been able to fit it in to any of my mock-ups thus far. If it won't fit there, some sort of world map will likely appear in the book, but I'm not sure of the style. It may end up being a simpler, line art style like Mystara's world map in the Master Set. Or it could be a topographical map like my Great Caldera map. Or it could be something between that and the Hollow World Set world map style, with stylised and simplified terrain in full colour.

Of course, there's every chance that the world map could appear as a full poster in a future release. :ugeek:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Thorf wrote:On a purely personal level I'd love to see something based on your name, so that when we look at it we'll all know it's linked with you. But anything you choose will have that effect if you tell us what you chose. :D
I'm leaning towards this myself, but I will take some time to think about it :)
Since one poster map is included with Admiral, you can get both maps. By default the included map is the Great Caldera, which will be a more developed, polished version of the topographical map I posted on my blog; and the second map is Meryath in hex format, likely also including some insets with the Glorathon area and perhaps even a city map of Glorathon. (Nothing is set in stone yet, though.)
Ah good point. I like the idea of a city map inserted. :)
Regarding the world map, I'm not sure yet where we're going to be able to fit it in. It may appear as an inset on one of the poster maps, though I haven't been able to fit it in to any of my mock-ups thus far. If it won't fit there, some sort of world map will likely appear in the book, but I'm not sure of the style. It may end up being a simpler, line art style like Mystara's world map in the Master Set. Or it could be a topographical map like my Great Caldera map. Or it could be something between that and the Hollow World Set world map style, with stylised and simplified terrain in full colour.
When I said world map, I was actually thinking about the Great Caldera, but an actual world map would be cool to see as well. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)
Of course, there's every chance that the world map could appear as a full poster in a future release. :ugeek:
The Kickstarter is just the beginning, right? :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Once again, thanks everyone for your very generous support. I'm playing catch-up right now. It's been non-stop work for me since 7am, answering posts, e-mails, pledges, and so on. There are a lot of things going on right now besides this.

As far as the island names are concerned, we can work out details during January while Thorfinn focuses on the Great Caldera. Depending on costs, it may be possible to print both sides of a poster map, although I dislike doing this. Until I'm certain of the quality of the paper the printing vendor is using and whether it lends itself well to 4 over 4 printing, I'd like to remain cautious with the first release. With experience, we can certainly start exploring additional avenues later. Double-sided maps also tend to take a beating over time. It's a trade-off between printing separate poster maps and only one that may wear out more quickly. What do you think?
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Havard wrote:
Thorf wrote:On a purely personal level I'd love to see something based on your name, so that when we look at it we'll all know it's linked with you. But anything you choose will have that effect if you tell us what you chose. :D
I'm leaning towards this myself, but I will take some time to think about it :)
If you need an extra push towards the "personal" direction, here it is.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Post by Spellweaver » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Ambreville wrote:Depending on costs, it may be possible to print both sides of a poster map, although I dislike doing this. Until I'm certain of the quality of the paper the printing vendor is using and whether it lends itself well to 4 over 4 printing, I'd like to remain cautious with the first release. With experience, we can certainly start exploring additional avenues later. Double-sided maps also tend to take a beating over time. It's a trade-off between printing separate poster maps and only one that may wear out more quickly. What do you think?
I agree that quality of print is important. I'd rather pay extra for a third (world) map than getting double-sided maps, which, I agree, tend to wear and tear more over time. :)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Havard wrote: 1) What do I name my Island? Something based on my name, home town, or something Arneson-related? Or something else?
In a different KS (Pirates & Dragons) I pledge at a level that allowed me to name my own Island. As the Setting has a French-like Culture, I went with a French name for my Island (I'm French Canadian).

Could be an option.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Post by Azure Admiral » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Spellweaver wrote:
Ambreville wrote:Depending on costs, it may be possible to print both sides of a poster map, although I dislike doing this. Until I'm certain of the quality of the paper the printing vendor is using and whether it lends itself well to 4 over 4 printing, I'd like to remain cautious with the first release. With experience, we can certainly start exploring additional avenues later. Double-sided maps also tend to take a beating over time. It's a trade-off between printing separate poster maps and only one that may wear out more quickly. What do you think?
I agree that quality of print is important. I'd rather pay extra for a third (world) map than getting double-sided maps, which, I agree, tend to wear and tear more over time. :)

My old double-sided maps used for play hasn't aged very well, so I'm for single-sided maps, maybe it could be safer for this first release.
Yep, I would prefer too pay an extra to get single-sided maps :)
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Havard wrote:1) What do I name my Island? Something based on my name, home town, or something Arneson-related? Or something else?
So what did you call your island?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:1) What do I name my Island? Something based on my name, home town, or something Arneson-related? Or something else?
As far as I know it's Havardar's Rock. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Ambreville wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
The original Havard rocks too. :mrgreen:

Exports from Havard's island should probably include fir trees. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Ambreville wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
+1 :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 am

I just typed the label for this. :cool:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon May 26, 2014 11:23 am

Thorf wrote:I just typed the label for this. :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Mon May 26, 2014 12:14 pm

LOL!

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov » Mon May 26, 2014 2:49 pm

“Hávarðar's Rock“ would be a double -ar+-s genetive, so choose one of them.
Rock is normally translated as “steinn“ (cognate with stone, Norwegian stein). If rock for mountain/foothills use “berg“ (old norse word means both cliff, rock, boulder). For a real mountain use “fjall“ (Norwegian fjell).

Hávarðar steinn (Havard's stone with old -ar genetive)
Hávarðs steinn (Harvard's stone with never 's genetive)

Maybe these forms are more appropriate for naming a rock.......
Berg Hávarðar or Berg Hávarðs (Cliff or Boulder of Havard)
Steinn Hávarðar or Steinn Hávarðs (Rock/Stone of Havard).
Sker Hávarðar or Sker Hávarðs (Skerry of Havard). [Norwegian skjær]

Keeping in english Hávarðs Rock [or “Havard's Rock“ if modernized]
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Return to “Calidar”