Calidar Support

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.

Calidar Support

Postby Azure Admiral » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 am

Hi folks,

Albeit the game setting is under development, I’m curious to know if anyone could be interested in building up a fan group to support Calidar with fanon game material.

What do you think? Even if it’s early to talk about, I would share some ideas with Piazza’s members :)

What would you eventually like to see in fanon, unofficial game material?

• Full adventures
• Short adventures/ dungeons pitch
• NPCs’ descriptions
• Social plots
• History / Timelines
• Maps (regional outdoor, hexes)
• Maps (specific, dungeons, urban settlements..)
• Heraldry
• New skyships
• or novels?
• (missing arguments…?)
• Living Calidar Campaign Organization

Just for the fun of it at this stage, but it would be interesting to begin a path :)
Last edited by Azure Admiral on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Re: Calidar Support

Postby Old Geezer GM » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:52 pm

It is a little early, but I whole-heartedly support the idea of a fan-based group to help further development. Once we see more material until the book is out, I'm sure we'll see lots of ideas popping up.

Count me in! :cool:
Captain pledge for World of Calidar
Old Geezer GM
Goblin

Location: The great Commonwealth of Virginia, in the New World

Postby Azure Admiral » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:59 am

Thank you for proposal, Old Geezer GM! :cool:

When we’ll get accustomed to the new game setting, we could explore the ground for some theme arguments to develop.

The next months will be Thrilling!
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Ambreville » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks for suggesting this. I'm flattered you did and I think it's a great idea. Plenty of thinking heads is certainly worth a lot more than just mine. This would bring extra vitality to the setting and greater creativity. The end result can only be good. :mrgreen:
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Old Geezer GM » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:44 pm

BoneLord wrote:Thank you for proposal, Old Geezer GM! :cool:

When we’ll get accustomed to the new game setting, we could explore the ground for some theme arguments to develop.

The next months will be Thrilling!

You're welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing how this world develops.

And, yes, these next few months will be quite thrilling, as I'm sure the good Mr. Heard and Mr. Tait will be releasing teasers regularly until the glorious goods arrive in our grubby hands... :cool:
Old Geezer GM
Goblin

Postby Old Geezer GM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:42 pm

One thing I am sure to be working on is a players guide for Savage Worlds. The races would be first, and I am anxious to see how magic is utilized in Calidar. Once I see that, I'll be proposing some Arcane Backgrounds.

Ambitious of me? Very likely...but still going for it!
Old Geezer GM
Goblin

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Interested, but I'd like to go through some more "official" material first.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Ambreville » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:58 am

Sorry for being so quiet. It's crunch time now, trying to get everything over to the text editor, and graphic work moving ahead. Keeping very busy here. :)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Azure Admiral » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am

Great months of trepidation :)

I'm eager to see some more previews when we'll get closer to the Setting release :)

I'm not skilled on the Savage Worlds game rules, but I think that it would be great to see a Calidar SW adaption.

Friends told me that's it's a modern and fast game system, and along with PF it could be a great help to attract potentially new gamers.

And yep, in the past November, Savage Worlds hit the Italian shelves too, fully translated!

It would be also cool to work on neutral unofficial game material, which could be used as a general framework, and further developed and shaped for the various game settings :)
Last edited by Azure Admiral on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:48 am

Ambreville wrote:Sorry for being so quiet. It's crunch time now, trying to get everything over to the text editor, and graphic work moving ahead. Keeping very busy here. :)

What are you doing here?!?!
Go back to work!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:42 pm

BoneLord wrote:Albeit the game setting is under development, I’m curious to know if anyone could be interested in building up a fan group to support Calidar with fanon game material.

I probably would not have the time to make Calidar fanon, but this sounds interesting.

How far are you thinking of going with this idea? Are you thinking of creating a Calidar fansite? Do you want to set up something like a Living Calidar organised play campaign?

What sort of peer-review level do you want to go with? Do you want to allow anyone with ideas to just chip in (like with Threshold) or do you want to keep as close to Bruce's vision as possible?

Do you want to try to fill in the gaps between the things that Bruce Heard is building or would you rather he give you an island or continent to play with?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Azure Admiral » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Thank you Big Mac for your questions and comments.

The idea is an ongoing one, and I’ll like to know the community opinion about this topic in the next months when the first book will be published.

Talking at personal level, yes for me too the time budget is tight, but I would like to contribute anyway in submitting and share game material as the time permits. I would like to assemble some game-ready game props (for example adventure seeds, or lore addendum) of manageable short size, in order to optimize time and effort.
About my contributions, I’m more inclined in following the “fill the gaps” line you mentioned. I love to imagine things, keeping the canon material as a solid foundation stone to use as reference.

About a Calidar “tile” left to the fans to play, I think that maybe it could be a too much ask to the author. Calidar is his creature, and I don’t feel that it could be somehow “right” to ask for. What do you think about?

As a personal matter of fondness to a special Calidar place, maybe it’s likely I’ll put some more special effort in assembling fanon game material to share (always in the “fill in the gaps” style) pertinent to the Calidar’s isle which I named during the KS campaign. We’ll see when the isles will show up in the future supplements.

Turning back on track, talk about the general fanon support.
At a global level, when some fanon ideas will pop-up and stock on the forum, I think it would be great to think together about a website to let game ideas get better visibility.
I imagine this website as an “entry-point” for downloading Calidar fanon game material (unless Bruce will plan to build up an official World of Calidar website and create a fanon section for the community, which actually I don’t know).
The subject here is Calidar World, so, in my humble opinion, the website should host all the Calidar fanon game material in the broadest form: fanon “fill in the gap” style, fanon “alternative visions” style, and should accept game material for whichever game system ruleset.

Building up the website, maintaining, and think about a friendly peer-review for help and criticism is left to be brainstormed, and I would like to know the forum users’ opinion about. I imagine the website as the Community’s Calidar webiste, not “personals” one, obviously! :)

Thank you about the idea of a Living Calidar campaign. I didn’t get on that, but I’ll add to the above list left to be discussed.
About this subject, are you thinking about it at a general level (assembling periodically short game scenarios and provide local character creation to let people around the world play with it), or a more structured one? (gather local coordinators all around the world to arrange feedbacks about gaming events, listing game ranks etc…).

We have to see how much people here would be interested in getting into this, but the idea is intriguing. Aside the LG Campaign, I don’t remember about a Living Mystara Campaign… it has ever been made at fan level?
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Ambreville » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:48 pm

BoneLord wrote:Thank you Big Mac for your questions and comments.

The idea is an ongoing one, and I’ll like to know the community opinion about this topic in the next months when the first book will be published.

Talking at personal level, yes for me too the time budget is tight, but I would like to contribute anyway in submitting and share game material as the time permits. I would like to assemble some game-ready game props (for example adventure seeds, or lore addendum) of manageable short size, in order to optimize time and effort.
About my contributions, I’m more inclined in following the “fill the gaps” line you mentioned. I love to imagine things, keeping the canon material as a solid foundation stone to use as reference.

About a Calidar “tile” left to the fans to play, I think that maybe it could be a too much ask to the author. Calidar is his creature, and I don’t feel that it could be somehow “right” to ask for. What do you think about?

Thanks for bringing up these ideas. These are options down the road, certainly. There's no reason to doubt I wouldn't support an effort to fill in the gaps. Considering I'm launching this from ground zero, extra thoughts, analyses, developments, and games to help flesh out and illustrate the world could only help. Centralizing them would be appropriate. I'm not against setting aside a piece of Calidar for the fans to focus on. I would have to develop the "tile's" general structure and background first to give it a framework and some direction. I'm thinking possibly Osriel or its capital city, which may be the focal point for Episode II.

As a personal matter of fondness to a special Calidar place, maybe it’s likely I’ll put some more special effort in assembling fanon game material to share (always in the “fill in the gaps” style) pertinent to the Calidar’s isle which I named during the KS campaign. We’ll see when the isles will show up in the future supplements.

Turning back on track, talk about the general fanon support.
At a global level, when some fanon ideas will pop-up and stock on the forum, I think it would be great to think together about a website to let game ideas get better visibility.
I imagine this website as an “entry-point” for downloading Calidar fanon game material (unless Bruce will plan to build up an official World of Calidar website and create a fanon section for the community, which actually I don’t know).

I have secured the site name for the World of Calidar, with the idea of developing an official web site down the road. There's a lot to be accomplished here before I can get to this.

The subject here is Calidar World, so, in my humble opinion, the website should host all the Calidar fanon game material in the broadest form: fanon “fill in the gap” style, fanon “alternative visions” style, and should accept game material for whichever game system ruleset.

Building up the website, maintaining, and think about a friendly peer-review for help and criticism is left to be brainstormed, and I would like to know the forum users’ opinion about. I imagine the website as the Community’s Calidar webiste, not “personals” one, obviously! :)

Thank you about the idea of a Living Calidar campaign. I didn’t get on that, but I’ll add to the above list left to be discussed.
About this subject, are you thinking about it at a general level (assembling periodically short game scenarios and provide local character creation to let people around the world play with it), or a more structured one? (gather local coordinators all around the world to arrange feedbacks about gaming events, listing game ranks etc…).

We have to see how much people here would be interested in getting into this, but the idea is intriguing. Aside the LG Campaign, I don’t remember about a Living Mystara Campaign… it has ever been made at fan level?

Living Calidar is a great idea, but it represents a huge amount of work, creatively and administratively--something I can't handle right now. Depending on the success of Calidar, some aspects could be subcontracted and partially handled by fans of Calidar.
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:11 am

There certainly is a lot that can be done with Calidar.

I think that fans may need to take the long view on this. There is only one Bruce Heard, and the setting is still waiting to come out. The main thing, right now is to get it out of the door. Once the setting is actually out there, fans can help support it, but I'm guessing that the rate that Bruce can get new canon produced is going to be limited by time and the size of the fanbase.

People need to know what the canon is about, to build fanon that works well with it, so I think there will be a bit of a delay before people that want to make fanon can get to work.

BoneLord wrote:We have to see how much people here would be interested in getting into this, but the idea is intriguing. Aside the LG Campaign, I don’t remember about a Living Mystara Campaign… it has ever been made at fan level?

I don't think there was a Living Mystara Campaign. I don't know if one was ever proposed. (I know that a Living Spelljammer campaign was proposed and that it nearly happened, but that concerns over possible conflicts with Living Greyhawk got in the way.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ambreville » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Rating Calidar -- here's a page on EnWorld where you can enter a few words as a review or just to give your impression for those who know nothing of this campaign set. Sharing directly from there (twitter, G+, or back on Faceboook) is great too. At this point, I need all the help I can get to compete with the RPG juggernauts out there. (Thanks!)

EnWorld's "Rate It!" Page

Moderator note: As the topic seems to have evolved into a slightly different one than the original post's, I split the subsequent posts about supporting Calidar off into their own thread (click here for it!). This topic is predominantly about fan-based Calidar development. —Thorf
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:30 pm

BoneLord wrote:Hi folks,

Albeit the game setting is under development, I’m curious to know if anyone could be interested in building up a fan group to support Calidar with fanon game material.

What do you think? Even if it’s early to talk about, I would share some ideas with Piazza’s members :)

Big Mac wrote:There certainly is a lot that can be done with Calidar.

I think that fans may need to take the long view on this. There is only one Bruce Heard, and the setting is still waiting to come out. The main thing, right now is to get it out of the door. Once the setting is actually out there, fans can help support it, but I'm guessing that the rate that Bruce can get new canon produced is going to be limited by time and the size of the fanbase.

People need to know what the canon is about, to build fanon that works well with it, so I think there will be a bit of a delay before people that want to make fanon can get to work.

Casting a Spell of Resurrection on this thread ;)

Now that the setting is out and most fans have had a chance to read through it, what do you (the fans) want to do next? Are you most interested in expanding what we already now with fanon fluff? Or converting the systemless setting into one or more game systems? :)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:22 pm

So far we have 3 conversion threads going on:

Havard's BECMI conversion;
Yaztromo's FF2 conversion and;
Boneguard's AD&D 2nd ed conversion.

So it's a start. :)
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:22 pm

I can tell you what is my adventure arc insofar:

***SPOILER ALERT*** (you never know... maybe you'll end up playing this fan adventure, sooner or later...)
First adventure cycle (mostly invented by me):
-The Characters wake up as Rhino-men on a barren asteroid in the Fringe; the initial conditions are extremely grim and primitive, with Rhino-men just grazing and sleeping
-First tasks for the Characters are similar to some civilization/colonization games: getting that little bit of agriculture ongoing so that you can take more time for exploring the strange asteroid and invent something more sophisticated
-The Characters get some hint on the nature of the asteroid and find a way to internal structures that honeycomb the inner asteroid
-Level by level, they uncover a fair part of the story of the asteroid beta-Rhinoceros: Rhino-men used to be Starfolks and settled a planetoid that they called Rhinoceros (theur single deity was called Rhinoceros as well, or the Demiurge) and they turned it in a planetoid-size starship (almost like the Death Star, but with more natural features, just to make it clear), on the first apparition of Ghule in Soltan Ephemeris Rhinoceros collided with the much bigger Ghule and was almost destroyed (fragmented in seven pieces called alpha- beta- gamma- etc- Rhinoceros), Rhino-men managed to scavenge what was present on beta-Rhinoceros and turned it again in a asteroid-sized starship. Unfortunately, with the dramatic decrease in number of Rhino-men and the fragmentation of Rhinoceros, the Demiurge powers diminished greatly and he didn't grant the same lavel of priesty powers to his priors: this triggered heresies and civil wars that alost annihilated Rhino-men. The Demiurge, now almost depleted and about to vanish, every now and then buys some "cheap souls" and get them on one or the other of his asteroids, just to keep Rhino-man race barely survive
-In the deepest levels the Characters learn about the Demiurge and get a small, knarr shaped starship (with an oversized ram) and with that they start searching for other Rhinoceros fragments, but they will soon find that the ship is extremely difficult to direct.

Second cycle (adapted from the gamebook The Dead World by Ulysses Ai):
-The starship is very difficult to control and, as they are directed across a space region where there is a battle between Caniseans and Feliseans, they apply maximum acceleration to avoid being caught in the cross fire. A ship tries stopping them, but the battering ram proves a formidable weapon and they zip through the space.
-The ship ends up nearby Lao-Kwei, where it is attracted to a strange empty region where apparently flying ships routinely shipwreck.
-In the same place there is a Starfolks ship stranded as well. Starfolks (visually, I used the "grey" aliens of many stories..) are almost friendly, although they display a lot their superiority and don't take very seriously the primitive Rhino-men
-The rescue ship for the aliens will arrive in three days, so in the menawhile the Rhino-men wonder around the ruins of ancient civilizations around the area and the multitude of othe rshipwercks residuals. In this part of the adventure I exchanged the Spacerats that are in the original gamebook with Kahuulkin.
-The Characters understand that this part of the planet is just a huge skipyard and that Starfolks rescue ship, if they come close, they will just shipwreck on their turn and they manage to prevent that
-Eventually the Starfolks rescue ship arrives and, before disappearing, out of friendship and gratitude, fixes also the Rhino-men ship and they teach them the principles of its control, but they do not recharge the cylinder that generates the power to fly in the space

Third cycle (partially adapted from Rurrogh's adventures on Barsoom):
-The Characters fly far away from the area of the shipwreck and find a strange structure with a thick glass ceiling: it is an incubator and the Characters will go through some of the adventures of John Carter of Mars.
-Of course I adapted a lot Burrough's adventures, but Barsoom references Mars a bit like Lao-Kwei, so in general it works well. I introduced the despised slave race of Kahuulkin and kept the other races more or less as they are, apart from highlighting more the Oriental descriptions and behavioural aspects, where the honour ethos of original Barsoomians fits quite nicely with the oriental setting of Lao-Kwei. No messing with the Turtle Empire, insofar.
-I also tried introducing some aspects from Out of the silent planet by CS Lewis, but didn't work very well and I didn't proceed in that way a lot.
-My idea is that, eventually, with the help of a local mad scientist, they will manage to recharge their cylinder and then fly to Calidar
***END OF SPOILER ALERT***

What do you think?
Last edited by Yaztromo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Boneguard wrote:So far we have 3 conversion threads going on:

Havard's BECMI conversion;
Yaztromo's FF2 conversion and;
Boneguard's AD&D 2nd ed conversion.

So it's a start. :)

I guess that answers part of my question ;) Anyone out there working on new material for Calidar rather than system adaptations?
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Spellweaver wrote:I guess that answers part of my question ;) Anyone out there working on new material for Calidar rather than system adaptations?

I cannot speak for everyone, but my conversion is also adding a bit of new material as I'm detailing the races in disctinct subrace -broadly at the moment, but I will refine it. and I'll be exploring a bit the Vipermen/Half-Dragon/Draconia ecology too.

If I can find some time -I have a couple projects going- I might try to define Kumoshima a bit more and finially decide if I will have Hengeyokai and Spirit-Folk or new race completely.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Spellweaver wrote: Anyone out there working on new material for Calidar rather than system adaptations?

Well, if you have a look at my previous post, you'll see that there is more than a straightforward system conversion...
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Yaztromo wrote:-I also tried introducing some aspects from Out of the silent planet by CS Lewis, but didn't work very well and I didn't proceed in that way a lot.

Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis is a story that I absolutely loved and that would fit quite well with the background, as it's set up on a fantastic Mars as well and every planet has its own tutelary spirit (good link to Calidar's World Soul concept), but perhaps there is too much subtlety and phylosophy in it for me to adapt it well enough, so I'll leave it to better Game Masters. I'd really love to see somebody good enough to deliver this job properly.
For my very limited ability, adapting the pulp scenarios by Burroughs Barsoom series was much easier and the feedback from the players seems to prove it.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Thorf » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:29 am

Yaztromo, your adaptations sound like a lot of fun. It's wonderful to hear about your adventures. I think it's also very much within the spirit of Calidar to adapt stories from fiction and other settings like this. In many ways the setting is designed with this in mind (especially the Vortex, which allows characters from other worlds and times to be brought in almost as-is).

I look forward to hearing more about your games. Perhaps we should split this off into its own thread — it's certainly worthy of a discussion of its own right!
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:32 am

Well, I have already an open thread here: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=12891 (and I'm afraid we won't find many more AFF2 players and directrs populating it, unfortunately...)
So probably we don't need splitting any more...
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Thorf » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:30 am

I see... You may be right about the number of AFF2 players — I don't really know, since I had never heard of it. (But I'm not very "up-to-date" on these things anyway...)

The thing is, though, I think this post definitely holds an interest for anyone who likes hearing about Calidar adventures. The system isn't really of much importance. In other words, you'll likely get more people reading it if you put it in another thread — as you did here. :) I hadn't looked in the AFF2 thread yet since I didn't know what it was. ;)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Next

Return to Calidar