Calidar Support

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.

Moderator: Thorf

Re: Calidar Support

Postby Yaztromo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:18 am

I decided that on the (ethereal...) way between Lao Kwei and Calidar, an incredible mountain-sized fish will appear in the "hyperspace" and swallow the flying ship as if it was nothing but a tiny mosquito! :o
I will adapt another gamebook adventure by Ulysses Ai (the Hypertrout http://www.ffproject.com/trout.htm), but this time the adaptations / modifications will have to be wider than for the Dead World...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Christmas-themed Lao Kwei adventure: in the cold north pole area of Lao Kwei there is one of the many dead cities abandoned ages ago.
However, once a year in a specific time, there is a odd time distorsion and it is possible seeing part of the city shining as it used to be before its desctruction.
A bit of investigation will help solving the puzzle: the city used to be dedicated to manufacturing toys and other presents for a specific commercial occasion recurrent on a yearly basis and, solving the odd puzzle while exploring the various dedicated buildings, the characters triggered an automatic delivery of a useless (but branded) present to all children of the planet, including slaves...
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:23 pm

I don't know very well Dark Sun, but looks to me that qite a few Dark Sun adventures may be suitable for a Lao Kwei conversion...
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Boneguard » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Yaztromo wrote:I don't know very well Dark Sun, but looks to me that qite a few Dark Sun adventures may be suitable for a Lao Kwei conversion...

I would not recommenf that. Dark Sun is quite overpowered by ad&d standards. Characters are stronger and the planet is much deadlier and the adventures reflects that.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Ambreville » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:54 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Yaztromo wrote:I don't know very well Dark Sun, but looks to me that qite a few Dark Sun adventures may be suitable for a Lao Kwei conversion...

I would not recommenf that. Dark Sun is quite overpowered by ad&d standards. Characters are stronger and the planet is much deadlier and the adventures reflects that.

He may have meant the style of the adventures rather than the actual game contents/adventures' lethality. Take Dark Sun, clean it up of its overpowered elements, make it an oriental/spelljammer-like setting, and add the kahuulkin element. All of this with Calidar's universe as the framework. :P
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Boneguard » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:27 pm

That could probably. But I could also see the Zhakara, Sind as possibility.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Here is how my campaign progressed (not sure if/when we'll have a chance of progressing it further due to personal circumstances and consequent distances):

The characters are all Rhino-men (a former Starfolks race that is now regressed to a very primitive state) and they start playing on a quite barren asteroid called beta-Rhinoceros.
At the beginning, the characters and fellow asteroid inhabitants know about nothing and are more animals than anything else, grazing from the ground. Pretty soon they improve their conditions by creating some tool, learning some skill and starting some primitive form of agriculture. This allows them to explore the asteroid, that appears to be full of huge scale high tech machinery abandoned by aeons.
Eventually the characters find their way in the underground and piece together the story of the asteroid, that used to be part of a planetoid-spaceship populated by Rhino-men with a high tech level that was reduced in fragments after a collision with Ghule, the first time it appeared in Soltan Ephemeris. Rhinoceros, the misterious deity/Demiurge of Rhino-men, faded quite significantly after this occurrence, to the point that the final hit to Rhino-men civilization was given by a civil war started by heretics claiming that Rhinoceros, if he ever existed, now was dead.
In the deeper levels of the asteroid, the characters find insects and insects predators (including a Bloodbeast), traps (mostly based on logic puzzles), high tech relics, lovecraftian creatures left behind after the collision with Ghule (together with some orcish bones and relics). Deep in the bowels of the asteroid they also find a small starship (it was supposed to be an escape pod, but has also an oversized battering ram) and, inside strange sarcophaguses, a few ancient Rhino-Men shapes wrapped in bandages. Their bodies are completely replaced by bugs ready to attack any living creature.
The characters interpreted correctly the inscriptions in the sarcophagus room and managed to communicate with the "mummies": they are ancient Rhino-men that accepted this condition as last resort: their bodies are now turned into swarms of bugs, but their soul is still alive and present, worshipping Rhinoceros and praying for reincarnation of more Rhino-men. The characters are the answer to their prayers and are inducted to the cult of Rhinoceros. There are more asteroids populated by Rhino-men from the collision with Ghule like beta-Rhinoceros, but they don't know where they are in the Fringe. However, from beta-Rhinoceros there was, centuries before, an attempt to set up a colony on Calidar and that colony may know where are the other frangemnts. Characters' taks, from now on, is re-tracing all the fragments and rebuilding the planetoid Rhinoceros, populated by a new Rhino-men civilization.

Eventually they decide to take the starship (with low battery charge), but it's very difficult to control.
They pass by a starship fight between Caniseans and Feliseans but decide to accelerate and lose completely control of their starship.

They end up being attracted and then crash landing on desertic planet Lao-Kwei, in a strange spot where it seems that several starships were attracted and crash-landed. Nearby there is also a crash-landed starship of starfolks (small, grey, Rosewell style aliens) that are waiting for rescue and treat the characters as inferiors, but give them a couple of good informations in a patronizing way.
While waiting for rescue, the characters wander around in the red desert planet (but not too far, to avoid dehydration) and discover that this area is a relic from a very far past when Lao-Kwei was a lush planet. There are three pyramids that seem to attract all starships passing with a certain speed and angle in a specific area of the space. Eventually, all shipwrecked starships accumulated and the crews killed each other (almost) regularly: this means that also the rescue mission from the Starfolks is deemed to failure.
The characters passed a number of mainly logical tests and eventually de-activated the traction rays from the three pyramids (probably this was a spaceport and the traction rays were supposed to guide spaceships to their landing spot, before the well known cataclysms).
The starfolks want to be nice with the Rhino-men for their help and before leaving they fix their small ship (they know their technology, somehow, as it's an ancient starfolks technology), but they don't recharge the device that allows them to fly in the space: they will be only able to navigate the planet.

The planet, away from the crash point, turns out to be inhabited by a race of big war-like humanoids with six limbes (see Green Martians of Burroughs' Barsoom for this part), that appear to be primitive if not savage, but are good at taming the big beasts of Lao-Kwei and respect the brave and honourable behaviour of the Rhino-men after they meet each other.
The characters attach themselves to the Green Martians for a while, until they learn that somewhere else there is a (mad) scientist that may be able to help them. The mad scientist is quite evil and asks the characters to do a few services for him (helping his attempt to conquer the planet or at least to keep the power of the Empire away from his centre of power, where he's building up an army of creatures at his service - for example they sabotage a gleaming city of illusionists, they attack some flying pirates that, non knowing Rhino-men won't know how to retaliate, they assassinate a strange priestess with a cannibalistic cult, etc.), but, while he understood some basic functioning of the starship, he fails to recharge it.
The characters then go on a few independent adventures (one in a city of Red Martians where they get imprisoned and enslaved, another searching for the wise race of Sorn, that only supply radiation protective equipment and some siggestion, another on a radioactive plain, hoping to get the help of the original skyfolks race that destroyed Lao-Kwei and that developed resistant to radioactivity and therefore hides in radioactive plains, and another on the North Pole, sarching for an old device that will give them some charge) and finally manage to recharge and be able to fly again!

The characters aim at reaching Calidar, but on the way, in the strage space/dimension that their ship creates around them, a huge kind of fish appears and swallows their ship as if it was just a tiny fly! Eventually it turns out that the mountain-sized fish is a kind of organic skyship that for some reason was able to interact with the characters' ship while it was between worlds and realities. The characters move to the ship and start exploring it, but all sooner or later get captured (and prepared to be eaten!) apart from one. The only active character finds some kind of museum of HIS reality and meets a young creature from the fish-ship that is convinced that the reality between worlds is the "real" one and that the characters come from a strange and abnormal dimension, although funnier and more varied than her dull and boring reality..
Eventually it will turn out that the fish ship is a singularity and that they are either all dead long time before (without knowing) or non existing (without knowing as well, of course) and the fish ship and its crew disappear, leaving the characters again travelling to Calidar.

On Calidar they first travel to the position where the Rhino-men colony should be, but they find nothing but ruins overgrown with vegetation and some evidence that the colony was abandoned in haste to be transferred somewhere else centuries before. After being attacked by the World Soul they flee, are intercepted by Meryath skyships and taken to the Queen, that hires the Rhino-men to explore the planet for her.
Not having any chance to leave the planet without recharging their travel device, the Rhino-men decide to accept.

Who knows if or when we'll have a chance to progress this.
Last edited by Yaztromo on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Ambreville » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Hey, this is pretty neat: a mechanical asteroid populated with rhino-men! :cool:
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Justinov » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Yaztromo wrote:The characters aim at reaching Calidar, but on the way, in the strange space/dimension that their ship creates around them, a huge kind of fish appears and swallows their ship as if it was just a tiny fly! Eventually it turns out that the mountain-sized fish is a kind of organic sky-ship that for some reason was able to interact with the characters' ship while it was between worlds and realities. The characters move to the ship and start exploring it, but all sooner or later get captured (and prepared to be eaten!) apart from one. The only active character finds some kind of museum of HIS reality and meets a young creature from the fish-ship that is convinced that the reality between worlds is the "real" one and that the characters come from a strange and abnormal dimension, although funnier and more varied than her dull and boring reality..
Eventually it will turn out that the fish ship is a singularity and that they are either all dead long time before (without knowing) or non existing (without knowing as well, of course) and the fish ship and its crew disappear, leaving the characters again traveling to Calidar

I guess your players (or you) love philosophical questions ;)
You ever had a player or introduced a NPC whom was a solipsist (everything is a figment of MY imagination and thus nothing is real, except me).
The character might even come to the startling realization, that he could be a figment of someone else's imagination, and thus doesn't exist!
I like that they might be non-existing without knowing it [a double negation !] - so they will continue to exist until they know they are not existing for real [which is the point of Buddhism by the way to get that awareness that all is illusion and then you are “extinguished“ upon death = Nirvana].
Great concept - these Rhino-men have a lot of serious issues to deal with!
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:16 pm

Justinov wrote:I guess your players (or you) love philosophical questions ;)

Ah-ah! maybe it's more something about me...

When they went to the city that in Burroughs' Barsoom is the Lothar (in my Lao-Kwei game I gave them an oriental-sounding name: Long-Tah), the characters find a gleaming city of illusionists with a device/artifact somewhere in the city that makes all illusion spells always succeeding automatically (within few km range).
This way the population of that city is always well protected from all attacks, as each of them casts the illusion of a bowman and this way they create immediately an army of bowmen that can take off all enemies with no risk. That may sound OK to roleplayers, but the point is that more regularly they create illusions of food and water (Lao Kwei is a desert planet) so they don't need to work and the illusions have success automatically, even with their casters, that this way are never hungry or thirsty!
This eventually leads to the fundamental question: are the Lotharian real people or are they illusions casting themselves? :mrgreen: They are in a constant philosophical discussion....
You have to consider that this philosophical dilemma was created by Edgard Rice Burroughs himself, despite the fact that he (and all pulp literature) have always been considered a lower level compared to most other kinds of literature...

So, as you can see, there are at least two passages of the adventure that are quite phiosophical... ;)

The characters in my game damaged the device (they tried destroying it, but they couldn't find all the parts, that are spread in various places of the city) so that it allowed automatic success when creating illusions "only" five times out of six... and then they left, expecting the city to eventually collapse on itself (and I think they did a fair move).

By the way, it was good fun. ;)
Last edited by Yaztromo on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:54 am

I have the feeling that it's Bruce's fantasy that invites in-game paradoxes... ;)
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Azure Admiral » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:27 pm

Spellweaver wrote:
I guess that answers part of my question ;) Anyone out there working on new material for Calidar rather than system adaptations?

I've in mind to prep new material for Calidar. Subjects are still to be focused yet, depending if/how the 3PP support terms will be defined.

As a general picture, I would like to get on adventures writing, and history/geographical detailing of small areas, mainly in italian language.
For international support, I would see well graphic support (outdoor/indoor maps, deck plans and the like) and short adventure pitches.

:)
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Justinov » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Justinov wrote:I guess your players (or you) love philosophical questions ;)

Ah-ah! maybe it's more something about me...

When they went to the city that in Burroughs' Barsoom is the Lothar (in my Lao-Kwei game I gave them an oriental-sounding name: Long-Tah), the characters find a gleaming city of illusionists with a device/artifact somewhere in the city that makes all illusion spells always succeeding automatically (within few km range).
This way the population of that city is always well protected from all attacks, as each of them casts the illusion of a bowman and this way they create immediately an army of bowmen that can take off all enemies with no risk. That may sound OK to roleplayers, but the point is that more regularly they create illusions of food and water (Lao Kwei is a desert planet) so they don't need to work and the illusions have success automatically, even with their casters, that this way are never hungry or thirsty!
This eventually leads to the fundamental question: are the Lotharian real people or are they illusions casting themselves? :mrgreen: They are in a constant philosophical discussion....
You have to consider that this philosophical dilemma was created by Edgard Rice Burroughs himself, despite the fact that he (and all pulp literature) have always been considered a lower level compared to most other kinds of literature...

So, as you can see, there are at least two passages of the adventure that are quite phiosophical... ;)

The characters in my game damaged the device (they tried destroying it, but they couldn't find all the parts, that are spread in various places of the city) so that it allowed automatic success when creating illusions "only" five times out of six... and then they left, expecting the city to eventually collapse on itself (and I think they did a fair move).

By the way, it was good fun. ;)

Wow I didn't know that plot by Burrough's. Highly interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Totally agree that Science Fiction and Fantasy have too long been underestimated. It is literature that deals with philosophical alternatives of realities and societies; and maybe that's why they are looked heavily down upon by people (critics) that have a political agenda of keeping their political status quo of correct opinions, where all thoughts have to concern problems in the real world defined by this very group (“social realism“ brings you prizes in both books and films - and how hard is that really to make?).

Maybe the PC's were victim of a successful illusion; when they thought they damaged the device. By actually believing in the illusion they are succumbing to it.
Anyways, even if they did damage it, when they left another successful illusion will instantly repair the device, won't it ? ;)
Perhaps there never were anything to start with (neither device, city or people) - just a self-multiplying illusion.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Justinov wrote:Maybe the PC's were victim of a successful illusion; when they thought they damaged the device. By actually believing in the illusion they are succumbing to it.
Anyways, even if they did damage it, when they left another successful illusion will instantly repair the device, won't it ? ;)
Perhaps there never were anything to start with (neither device, city or people) - just a self-multiplying illusion.

If you like this kind of paradoxes, have a look at The Earth Men, that is one of the tales of Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles (that by the way may offer something useful for Lao Kwe as well...;)
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Justinov » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Justinov wrote:Maybe the PC's were victim of a successful illusion; when they thought they damaged the device. By actually believing in the illusion they are succumbing to it.

If you like this kind of paradoxes, have a look at The Earth Men, that is one of the tales of Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles (that by the way may offer something useful for Lao Kwe as well...;)

Great - thanks for the hint!

Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby Azure Admiral » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Yaztromo wrote:

Pretty neat tale! I love Bradbury :)
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Ambreville » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:27 pm

This is Terra Incognita to me. I haven't read this book. :o
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:14 pm

It's never too late ;-)
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:00 am

Last edited by Yaztromo on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:09 am

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Azure Admiral » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Good work, Yaztromo :cool:
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Ambreville » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Nice. I got the gist of it. Thanks! Would it be possible for you to post a translation of your review on EnWorld?
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:27 am

Done.
Does it read as you thought, once (poorly) translated?
Last edited by Yaztromo on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:18 am

Yaztromo wrote:Review in Italian: http://www.librogame.net/index.php/lglmag/lglmagok

EDIT: as part of the comments to the above mentioned article, some site user draw a parallel between Calidar and the videogame Skies of Arcadia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skies_of_Arcadia http://skiesofarcadia.wikia.com/wiki/Sk ... cadia_Wiki) I'm not a videogame fan and I don't know it, but you may (or may not) want to check it out, just to see how similar concepts were developed for other media and by other authors.

EDIT2: I thought I pressed "edit" for the above, but looks like I pressed "quote" instead... :(
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Stardust http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_(2007_film) looks like a reasonably Caliar=esque movie, with Captain Shakespeare and his flying ship... ;)
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

PreviousNext

Return to Calidar