Calidar Support

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.

Moderator: Thorf

Re: Calidar Support

Postby Azure Admiral » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi guys,

coming back for a little service communication, I’ve recently changed my Piazza’s user account, switching from BoneLord to Azure Admiral.

See you on the board :cool:
Formerly known at Piazza's as BoneLord

“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Thorf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:43 am

Welcome back, BoneLord/Azure Admiral. :)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:45 am

Yaztromo wrote:Stardust http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_(2007_film) looks like a reasonably Caliar=esque movie, with Captain Shakespeare and his flying ship... ;)

I loved Stardust. I agree, the whimsical nature of it fits in quite well.

And the great thing is, as a DM you can actually bring Captain Shakespeare and his flying ship into Calidar to use in your campaign as is, by means of the Vortex. :D Obviously issues of copyright prevent this kind of thing from happening in the published books, but there's nothing to stop individual DMs from doing it in their own campaigns.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:10 am

Thorf wrote:And the great thing is, as a DM you can actually bring Captain Shakespeare and his flying ship into Calidar to use in your campaign as is, by means of the Vortex. :D Obviously issues of copyright prevent this kind of thing from happening in the published books, but there's nothing to stop individual DMs from doing it in their own campaigns.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Perhaps he has. :shock: :lol: :P
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Ambreville » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Linked to Facebook... :( I am no longer on Facebook, can someone sum this up here?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:12 pm

I've never been on Facebook either!
Un'idea, un concetto, un'idea finché resta un'idea è soltanto un'astrazione.
Se potessi mangiare un'idea avrei fatto la mia rivoluzione.
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:47 am

I recently run a small cycle of "Calidar" adventures: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=12891#p161064
They took place between Lao Kwei (with plenty of inventions and assumptions on my side) and Calidar (more close to canon).
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Christmas-themed Lao Kwei adventure: in the cold north pole area of Lao Kwei there is one of the many dead cities abandoned ages ago.
However, once a year in a specific time, there is a odd time distorsion and it is possible seeing part of the city shining as it used to be before its desctruction.
A bit of investigation will help solving the puzzle: the city used to be dedicated to manufacturing toys and other presents for a specific commercial occasion recurrent on a yearly basis and, solving the odd puzzle while exploring the various dedicated buildings, the characters triggered an automatic delivery of a useless (but branded) present to all children of the planet, including slaves...

I can't believe a FULL year already passed since then!... :o
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

In this folder you can find mentioned gazzetteer Life on Barsoom: http://www.librogame.net/index.php/download/viewcategory/191-advanced-fighting-fantasy (you'll need to register to http://www.librogame.net to be able to download), otherwise you can freely download it from here: http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:AFFF_1.en_Life_on_Barsoom.pdf
The last appendix (by far the longest one) is all about adaptation to Lao-Kwei.

Please highlight to me all possible improvements, as nothing is cast in stone and I'll be happy to fix this thingy!
Last edited by Yaztromo on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:50 pm

message added in error, please remove :oops:
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Is anybody running a Calidar campaign and willing to let us know how it is going and ehat is happening...
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Sturm » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:50 am

Not played yet but I'd like to. I was also thinking it would be fun to create a live Roleplaying thread for Calidar, i.e. a way to roleplay without a DM and a planned adventure, maybe in the Calidar forum. It could be started in the wild lands outside the Great Caldera.
Or on a skyshipn in the void..
With the Vortex and skyships, you could create a Character from anywhere and move anywhere..
Players could also make things happens as "temporary Dm" taking turns...
Some minimal rules should be decided...
I've not the time to manage a Calidar PbP on my own but a living roleplay thread open to all could work IMHO. Anyone could partecipate because if you play a character just arrived from the Vortex you do not need to know the setting at all...
Thoughts?
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Sturm wrote:Not played yet but I'd like to. I was also thinking it would be fun to create a live Roleplaying thread for Calidar, i.e. a way to roleplay without a DM and a planned adventure, maybe in the Calidar forum.

I think you might mean "Play by Post".

Live roleplaying for Calidar would involve running around a field with rubber swords with spellcasters shouting spells at other players. (Both things could be run.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sturm » Wed May 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:I think you might mean "Play by Post".
Live roleplaying for Calidar would involve running around a field with rubber swords with spellcasters shouting spells at other players. (Both things could be run.)

Ah yes sorry but I do not mean a live rpg nor exactly a PbP.
In a PbP there is a DM, what I mean is what they do for example on Candlekeep here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=26
People post in-character but there is no DM running things.
I don't know if there are enough people interested, but such a thread could be a great showcase for the game. It could also have some DMs who makes things happen from time to time, if it set in a dynamic location (like the wildlands) while it could be just people chatting in-character if it is set in an inn or other fixed place...

I'd say it would be nice to try to have one such thread for every setting subforum at the Piazza.. that could be better than the "Introductory thread" or "Adventure thread" that was proposed some time ago (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15010&p=169595) to introduce people to unknown campaign world..

Possible example:
A welcome thread in the Calidar subforum. Anyone who posts in it should speak in-character as a stranded traveller and will find some people who will explain him/her the basic layout of the place, also posting in-character.
This is particularly easy for Calidar as there is the Vortex, and from it people arrive from time to time, without memories of their former lives, or with only partial memories. Should you want to do the same for the Realms, for example, the thread could be set in a location in Realmspace, where travellers will arrive and ask the locals about the place.
Obviously that could work only if there are people who have some expertise on the setting and are willing to post in-character about it, and relatively often...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Previous

Return to Calidar