Great Caldera poster map previews

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Moderator: Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Great Caldera poster map previews

Post by Thorf » Tue May 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Bruce has posted an article with previews of the Great Caldera poster map on his blog. You can see some of the finished terrain, as well as work-in-progress images with map labels for the nations of Meryath, Ellyrion, Narwan, Osriel and Phrydias. Bruce's text explains his process to create names for each nation — something which Piazza readers will likely already be familiar with from threads here. It's an interesting read.

http://bruce-heard.blogspot.jp/2014/05/CAL06.html

For me, the highlight is the first preview of my new map art. I've been working on this map in various stages for close to a year now, so it's great to be revealing near-finished parts of it now. Publication is rapidly approaching, too.

Terrain-wise, Bruce has released previews of Nordheim's fjords, Alfdaín's forests, Araldûr's mountains, and Narwan's desert. Please check it out and let me know what you think. :D

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Great Caldera poster map previews

Post by Thorf » Tue May 27, 2014 4:06 pm

For the eagle-eyed among you, you may notice that the terrain has changed from the previous version posted on the Kickstarter and on my blog. The nature of that change is what has taken so long: I redid the height model and erosion at four times the resolution of that first preview map, so that the terrain is more properly scaled to the massive area covered by the map.

What this means is that the previous version of the Great Caldera map was 10,000 pixels square, whereas the full version, which I completed less than a month ago, is 40,000 pixels square. Obviously the final poster map is a much scaled down version of this — the Great Caldera occupies an area of roughly 6,000 pixels square on that map — but working in this resolution has given me all I need to create separate much larger scale maps of each area in the future.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Wow, looks really good Thorf!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov » Wed May 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Thorf wrote:For the eagle-eyed among you, you may notice that the terrain has changed from the previous version posted on the Kickstarter and on my blog. The nature of that change is what has taken so long: I redid the height model and erosion at four times the resolution of that first preview map, so that the terrain is more properly scaled to the massive area covered by the map.

What this means is that the previous version of the Great Caldera map was 10,000 pixels square, whereas the full version, which I completed less than a month ago, is 40,000 pixels square. Obviously the final poster map is a much scaled down version of this — the Great Caldera occupies an area of roughly 6,000 pixels square on that map — but working in this resolution has given me all I need to create separate much larger scale maps of each area in the future.
I think it's why your map looks much more natural. Really great job! :D - makes for a happy geologist!
Waves would erode softer points faster and leave harder points behind making a very jagged coastline.
In tropical areas you would get coral reefs building up as a ring around the outer edges of the caldera.....so maybe a thought for the southern part (can't remember how far south it goes....).
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:13 am

Just a heads up in case you missed it: I posted a short article about the art aspect of making the poster map on my blog.

http://thorf13.blogspot.jp/2014/06/grea ... ished.html

I have had a great time sculpting the terrain of the Great Caldera, and there are lots of little details for people to appreciate, as well as for Bruce to use in development to come. It's such a huge area that it wasn't possible to do everything at this stage, but each country will likely go through its own development in future episodes, and get its own gazetteer entries, and I'm hoping to add more details to each area as we zoom in at that stage.

Return to “Calidar”