Support for Calidar - yours and mine

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.

Moderator: Thorf

Support for Calidar - yours and mine

Postby Ambreville » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Posted earlier on the Kickstarter Page:

Support for Calidar -- yours and mine

For those of you who might not have realized it: I posted a number of blog articles for use with Calidar. Here is a general idea of what was posted in the recent past:

The Rat Hunter: This is a multi-part article describing a giant skyship, the Tian Feng, inspired directly from a Chinese treasure ship. Maps galore and narratives illustrate what the enormous vessel looks and feels like. Also provided is a complete diagram of the Lao-Kweian vessel's chain of command.

Black Blood in the Night: This is a multi-part adventure module for use with BECMI mechanics (basically any D&D rules should work with this), which features an undead skyship. Many maps and room-by-room descriptions bring this dark vessel "to life."

Death and the Netherworld: This two-part article develops concepts about death, the undead, the gods, and their servants, which are key to understanding the special nature of Calidar's universe. These articles describe what the netherworld looks like and give guidelines on how to handle navigation through limbo.

The Marches of Khorvador:
This is a simple and straightforward description of a region of the Caldwen magiocracy, which helps better understand how the undead fit this setting. It is connected to the previous two blog entries.

The Gods of the Great Caldera: This upcoming article is a primer to the faiths of the Great Caldera, providing more choices for player characters than those available in the book. This is expected to be a two-part treatment, starting next week, December 1st. Your feedback and ensuing debates are welcome as this article is a tentative portrayal of the gods. Your personal input will have a direct impact on the final material coming in the next books.

Support Calidar!

A page on EnWorld enables backers to put in their two-cents' worth about the book. I have lots of Facebook and G+ "thumbs up" already, but only three reviews there. I need 10 reviews posted on this page in order for Calidar to earn an official rating on EnWorld. Simply putting the appropriate number of stars and, if you wouldn't mind, a sentence or two about your interest in Calidar should be enough. Considering the level of competition with the RPG juggernauts out there, Calidar needs all the help it can get to stay afloat. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Click here for ENWorld's page.

Reviews posted directly on DTRPG's review section are also quite welcome! In general, please do share the information with friends and fellow gamers. Last note, if you haven't been able to acquire Calidar's poster maps during the Kickstarter, click here to find them.

Cheers and thanks!
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Re: Calidar Support

Postby Sturm » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:07 am

Reviewed at En World, I believe there are 7 now, only 3 to go :)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Ambreville » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:00 pm

The Calidar reviews on EnWorld did well. We've got ten good ones, which enabled Calidar to get its "official rating" as expected, but also for a while, made it rank #1 on the list with a rating of 100% (all five star reviews). Since then someone added a spoiler review, which put the book in second place. Nonetheless, the result is admirable. So, thanks to all of you who went through the effort of backing Calidar in this manner. The rating is still pretty fragile compared to other products (such as D&D 5th edition, which is what we're competing with). The only way to make it stick in the long run is with more reviews. It would be terrific if anyone else jumped in with a few more words, in your native language if you prefer. Registration on EnWorld is a formality and it is free. A review can be as short as a few sentences. Cheers!
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Ambreville » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:21 pm

:arrow: Calidar is tied with D&D's DMG. Some extra reviews would be nice right about now.
Ambreville
World Soul

Sverre Midthjell's review

Postby Ambreville » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:58 pm

There's a great review just posted on Sverre's blog page. Click here. It's very detailed and to the point. Well worth a visit.
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Ambreville » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

By the way, I'm running a special discount on Calidar, including PDF, books, and poster maps. If you were hesitating, now's a good time to grab something before the sales come to an end. Merry Christmas!
Ambreville
World Soul

Re: Support for Calidar - yours and mine

Postby Thorf » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:47 am

Moderator note: I split these posts from the original thread (click here for it!) dealing with fan development of Calidar. This thread is focused on fans supporting Calidar by spreading the word through word of mouth, reviews, on social media, and so on. —Thorf
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:56 am

Ambreville wrote:Support Calidar!

A page on EnWorld enables backers to put in their two-cents' worth about the book. I have lots of Facebook and G+ "thumbs up" already, but only three reviews there. I need 10 reviews posted on this page in order for Calidar to earn an official rating on EnWorld. Simply putting the appropriate number of stars and, if you wouldn't mind, a sentence or two about your interest in Calidar should be enough. Considering the level of competition with the RPG juggernauts out there, Calidar needs all the help it can get to stay afloat. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Click here for ENWorld's page.

Reviews posted directly on DTRPG's review section are also quite welcome! In general, please do share the information with friends and fellow gamers. Last note, if you haven't been able to acquire Calidar's poster maps during the Kickstarter, click here to find them.

Cheers and thanks!

There is a Calidar microbadge on RPG Geek. :)

Only three people have bought it so far. Two of them are people I know from here, but the third (Stelio*) does not have an account here. Maybe somebody should invite him over. :-)

* = He liked Calidar, but didn't travel far and his name was Stelio. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ambreville » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Ambreville wrote:Support Calidar!

Cheers and thanks!

There is a Calidar microbadge on RPG Geek. :)

Only three people have bought it so far. Two of them are people I know from here, but the third (Stelio*) does not have an account here. Maybe somebody should invite him over. :-)

* = He liked Calidar, but didn't travel far and his name was Stelio. ;)

Thanks for the shout-out. Click here for the chart showing Calidar's rating compared with other titles.
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:10 am

How do we get Calidar: Beyond the Skies in the EN World system so that we can vote for it?
Un'idea, un concetto, un'idea finché resta un'idea è soltanto un'astrazione.
Se potessi mangiare un'idea avrei fatto la mia rivoluzione.
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Thanks for collecting these links here Bruce!

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do! :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Ambreville » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:43 am

Havard wrote:Thanks for collecting these links here Bruce!

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do! :)

-Havard

I'll be adding more links to this page as titles come on line. Between DTRPG and the Facebook shop, I'm almost covering all bases.
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Ambreville » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi folks. I posted Beyond the Skies on EnWorld, to be rated. If you wish to post reviews or simply rate the book, this is a good place to do it. Thanks!
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Korro Zal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:02 am

None of the links in the first post seem to be working anymore.
Korro Zal
Orc

Postby Ambreville » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:03 pm

Korro Zal wrote:None of the links in the first post seem to be working anymore.

Sorry. Many of these posts were removed from the blog since their contents got transfered (or were going to be) to CST booklets, the promotional material reserved to Calidar's Kickstarter backers. The Rat Hunter will be developed at some point (when I have time) into something more substantial.

Bruce
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:10 pm

Ambreville wrote: The Rat Hunter will be developed at some point (when I have time) into something more substantial.

:D :D :D :D
Un'idea, un concetto, un'idea finché resta un'idea è soltanto un'astrazione.
Se potessi mangiare un'idea avrei fatto la mia rivoluzione.
Yaztromo
Stone Giant

Postby Ambreville » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Imagine these great ships done in 600 dpi resolution! I can already hear my computer fan revving madly.
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Spellweaver » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Ambreville wrote:Imagine these great ships done in 600 dpi resolution! I can already hear my computer fan revving madly.

Oh, don't tease us like that! :)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Korro Zal » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Well, that's disappointing--I missed the Kickstarter so I guess I'm out of luck.
Korro Zal
Orc

Postby Ambreville » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Korro Zal wrote:Well, that's disappointing--I missed the Kickstarter so I guess I'm out of luck.

Not quite, though. The next Kickstarter, for the adventure module "Dreams of Aerie," which comes up in the spring of 2017, will offer new backers the opportunity to own the two PDFs or the printed versions of these books. If I can manage it, the next CST will include the Rat Hunter and related (new) materials.
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Azure Admiral » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Ambreville wrote: If I can manage it, the next CST will include the Rat Hunter and related (new) materials.

:cool: :cool:

If I'm correct, I read about the possibility to switch to the hardcover print mode on DTRPG for future Calidar books (better print quality). This could be eventually valid for the CST book too? And/or for books already available for now only in softcover format (ex. kickstarter's Skies of Fury)?
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Thorf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Azure Admiral wrote:If I'm correct, I read about the possibility to switch to the hardcover print mode on DTRPG for future Calidar books (better print quality). This could be eventually valid for the CST book too? And/or for books already available for now only in softcover format (ex. kickstarter's Skies of Fury)?

This is actually a question I had too. :)

The CST softcovers are my first experience of DTRPG's softcover printing, and I have to say I prefer the hardbacks. While the softcovers are okay, I find that the printing in the hardbacks is vastly superior. As a result, I'd rather pay a little more for a hardback if that's a possibility.

CST3... The Rat Hunter and something else sounds great! :) I was disappointed not to fit it into CST2, but these books only have so much space to go round.

You have a couple more loose ends, don't you Bruce? The viper men adventure comes to mind. I don't think you've ever shared that one other than running it at conventions, though.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Ambreville » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:22 am

Thorf wrote:
Azure Admiral wrote:If I'm correct, I read about the possibility to switch to the hardcover print mode on DTRPG for future Calidar books (better print quality). This could be eventually valid for the CST book too? And/or for books already available for now only in softcover format (ex. kickstarter's Skies of Fury)?

This is actually a question I had too. :)

The CST softcovers are my first experience of DTRPG's softcover printing, and I have to say I prefer the hardbacks. While the softcovers are okay, I find that the printing in the hardbacks is vastly superior. As a result, I'd rather pay a little more for a hardback if that's a possibility.

CST3... The Rat Hunter and something else sounds great! :) I was disappointed not to fit it into CST2, but these books only have so much space to go round.

You have a couple more loose ends, don't you Bruce? The viper men adventure comes to mind. I don't think you've ever shared that one other than running it at conventions, though.

I'm not sure I'd want to produce the CST booklets as hardcovers. What if multiple issues were compiled as a single hardcover book some time in the future?

Rat Hunter plus something else... possible. There is a lot of work involved with just the Rat Hunter story itself. First off, the adventure part needs to be expanded a bit and developed properly. Background material could be generated as a preview on Lao-Kwei. And the ship's deck plans (ow-ow-ow... they do take a lot of work), need to be properly keyed and rendered at a resolution suitable for printing. Judging from my present experience working on Dreams of Aerie, a lot of detail can go into these maps, which can take significant time away from mainline projects.

Vipermen is certainly an option for a future CST booklet. It's not been published that I can remember. It is a short & sweet adventure with a more reasonable amount of work involved, though it does need development and cleaning, based on past experience running it. . . besides stripping all the original D&D mechanics and making it "system-agnostic." (That was a reason I developed the Excel worksheet--it's not perfect, but it does ease the process.)

Besides this, Thorf, I'd like to see new moon cycle charts from the points of view of the moons themselves. :twisted:
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Big Mac » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:46 am

Ambreville wrote:
Thorf wrote:The CST softcovers are my first experience of DTRPG's softcover printing, and I have to say I prefer the hardbacks. While the softcovers are okay, I find that the printing in the hardbacks is vastly superior. As a result, I'd rather pay a little more for a hardback if that's a possibility.

I'm not sure I'd want to produce the CST booklets as hardcovers. What if multiple issues were compiled as a single hardcover book some time in the future?

Compilations of CSTs sounds like a good idea. I've had a few very thin hardbacks over the years and when the covers are thicker than the pages they look a bit weird. A CST collection could also include some sort of index that covers every single CST in the book. Something like that would give it added value over and above the original products.

I believe that Lightning Source print on two weights of paper. So it might also be possible for paperback CST products to be printed on more expensive paper to bring them up to the same standard of printing as hardback, without the actual hard cover to go with the paper. But I can't remember what DriveThru RPG product I saw this on (so I'm not totally sure if it was two softcovers or two hardcovers that I saw. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ambreville » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Ambreville wrote:
Thorf wrote:The CST softcovers are my first experience of DTRPG's softcover printing, and I have to say I prefer the hardbacks. While the softcovers are okay, I find that the printing in the hardbacks is vastly superior. As a result, I'd rather pay a little more for a hardback if that's a possibility.

Compilations of CSTs sounds like a good idea. I've had a few very thin hardbacks over the years and when the covers are thicker than the pages they look a bit weird. A CST collection could also include some sort of index that covers every single CST in the book. Something like that would give it added value over and above the original products.

I believe that Lightning Source print on two weights of paper. So it might also be possible for paperback CST products to be printed on more expensive paper to bring them up to the same standard of printing as hardback, without the actual hard cover to go with the paper. But I can't remember what DriveThru RPG product I saw this on (so I'm not totally sure if it was two softcovers or two hardcovers that I saw. :?

The problem with premium color paper stock is that it's pretty expensive to produce. Currently, LS offers 50lbs color and 70lbs premium color. What they offered before, an even lighter paper caused production problems with color books, and that's no longer available. It's what the printer copies of the CST books have used. It also explains why I phased out my softcover books for now. They need to get redone with the new paper (they require a thicker spine). The two hardcover books do use that premium heavyweight stock though.
Ambreville
World Soul

Next

Return to Calidar