System Agnostic Conversions

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

System Agnostic Conversions

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Here is a crosspost of a topic, called System Agnostic Conversions on the Calidar: In Stranger Skies forum:
Bruce Heard wrote:Hi all,

Following up on a discussion started in Facebook's chat group. I suggested there an Excel spreadsheet designed to help convert generic Calidar game stats for several other existing role playing games (eventually, with a big "E"). Fans familiar with Excel coding and the various game mechanics volunteered to help out -- thank you!

I'm bringing up this discussion here for two reasons. First off, I think it's a more appropriate platform to conduct such discussions. Second, I can actually attach an Excel doc here, for ref. See attached.

This spreadsheet is tentative (tentative with a big "T") considering the complexity of the matter. You can try the sheet to get an idea of where I'm trying to take this. Read the instructions therein carefully. Don't type, delete, or otherwise alter the contents of cells surrounded with a red border. Make sure you save a separate copy if you plan on using this spreadsheet.

I'll just repeat this: it's a prototype--and you know what happens to prototypes once in while. Sorry: no parachute included. :)

The general idea is that you'd copy an entire stats block from a Calidar product (a PDF, inevitably), and paste it back into the spreadsheets, which then spits out a (simple) stats block for the other game system, in this case BECMI. Big surprise here. The reverse process is also built in, allowing you to type in D&D stats and see how they come out in Calidar-speak. You can then copy the converted block, and paste it into a word processor to edit/develop as needed.

Give it a shot. Come back here to ask questions. I'm sure you will. Thanks!

Stats Conversions 03.xlsx

I don't have time to play with this yet, but thought that some of the fans here would find it useful.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: System Agnostic Conversions

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:33 am

I'm curious to see if other systems will be supported, eventually.

I like the way alignment is broken out into heart (e.g., evil) and mind (e.g., lawful). I'd never seen these axes labeled that way, before.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby The Dark » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:47 pm

It's wonky to use in non-Microsoft spreadsheet programs (for example, I use LibreOffice). The .xlsx file type doesn't meet standards and thus isn't fully supported, so I can do some things in it, but the dropdown boxes make it break if I pick anything.
The Dark
Troll

Postby Ambreville » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:37 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I'm curious to see if other systems will be supported, eventually.

I like the way alignment is broken out into heart (e.g., evil) and mind (e.g., lawful). I'd never seen these axes labeled that way, before.

Other systems -- that was the idea. I got too busy to add 1st ed. -- which I know well enough to do. This is a fairly complex worksheet, and most people who seemed interested in pitching in have run for cover. Oh, well. More later on this.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Ambreville » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:38 pm

The Dark wrote:It's wonky to use in non-Microsoft spreadsheet programs (for example, I use LibreOffice). The .xlsx file type doesn't meet standards and thus isn't fully supported, so I can do some things in it, but the dropdown boxes make it break if I pick anything.

That's definitely a limitation. Excel is probably the most common spreadsheet out there, but even this doesn't guarantee ubiquity.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Return to Calidar