Kingdom of Meryath

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Kingdom of Meryath

Postby Azure Admiral » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:51 am

While I’m waiting to get my teeth on CC1 the next week, I’ve just finished to re-read CAL1. :D

I liked much the geographical and cultural flavors Bruce depicted for the Kingdom of Meryath, and loved the Greenwood’s work on detailing the Glorathon Capital.

Which other game material related to Meryath would you be happy to see in the future?
If not a new dedicated gaz to this Kingdom, personally I would love to see a further geopolitical treatment for the various counties, and some other settlements detailed. :cool:

Any wishlist for this?

Did you had the time yet to venture onto the white shores of Meryath, or getting lost into the bustling streets of Glorathon?

I’ve in mind some additions on the fan-side of things, but hopefully that will be matter for another topic.
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Re: Kingdom of Meryath

Postby Ambreville » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Azure Admiral wrote:(...) liked much the geographical and cultural flavors Bruce depicted for the Kingdom of Meryath, and loved the Greenwood’s work on detailing the Glorathon Capital.
Which other game material related to Meryath would you be happy to see in the future?

I'm presently working on the adventure Dreams of Aerie, a flying circus traveling the whole of the Great Caldera. So, you should expect it to hit one or two towns each winter as it heads toward Narwan. You can find more about this adventure here and here.
Azure Admiral wrote:I’ve in mind some additions on the fan-side of things, but hopefully that will be matter for another topic.

Let me know what you'd like to do. I'm sure folks will appreciate anything you can come up with for Meryath.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Thorf » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 am

Azure Admiral wrote:I liked much the geographical and cultural flavors Bruce depicted for the Kingdom of Meryath, and loved the Greenwood’s work on detailing the Glorathon Capital.

If not a new dedicated gaz to this Kingdom, personally I would love to see a further geopolitical treatment for the various counties, and some other settlements detailed. :cool:

I'm of a like mind to you, I'd love to see more details about Meryath. Since it shared the introductory book with a wealth of other stuff, in some ways it feels like Meryath got short thrift; it's at the very centre of the setting, and yet it will likely end up with less detail than anywhere else in the long run.

This sentiment is precisely why I was so eager to start mapping the other provinces, and indeed why I'm still looking forward to working through them on my Patreon in the months ahead. :D Hopefully the provincial maps will help stimulate more ideas. They should also be perfect for doing demographics! ;)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm curious about how the people of Meryath, that is probably the most adventurous of the Great Caldera, travels, deals and makes the best use of the lands outside the Great Caldera, where Calidar World Soul is active and... reactive!
They can't be just "no-go" lands! ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Ambreville » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Yaztromo wrote:I'm curious about how the people of Meryath, that is probably the most adventurous of the Great Caldera, travels, deals and makes the best use of the lands outside the Great Caldera, where Calidar World Soul is active and... reactive!
They can't be just "no-go" lands! ;)

There's a whole chapter about the Dread Lands in CC1 Beyond the Skies. Did it not answer your questions?
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Ehm... I had a quick look forward and I have the impression that these issues are in the part of the book I haven't read yet, almost at the end... :oops:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Ambreville » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:44 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Ehm... I had a quick look forward and I have the impression that these issues are in the part of the book I haven't read yet, almost at the end... :oops:

No problem. CAL1 just did not have the space to get into the Dread Lands, the tribes, the shamans, and the world soul in great detail. CC1 offered the opportunity to fill these gaps, even if the approach was was essentially from the point of view of gods, spirits of nature, etc. What I would suggest is: 1. Read the Intro (there are a lot of issues brought up there, as a preamble to the rest of the book), 2. Read one of the chapters about Gods (like say, Gods of Meryath, which gives A LOT of background info about Meryath--since you were asking...), and 3. Read all of the Appendix section before continuing with the other pantheons. There's a TON of info there that is relevant to Meryath and gaming in Calidar in general. Have fun! ;)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Azure Admiral » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:48 am

Ambreville wrote:I'm presently working on the adventure Dreams of Aerie, a flying circus traveling the whole of the Great Caldera. So, you should expect it to hit one or two towns each winter as it heads toward Narwan. You can find more about this adventure here and here.

Thanks for the links Bruce. An adventure on a flying circus sounds like a ton of fun!

I’m eager to reserve a ticket and come aboard on this marvellous spinning carousel, I’m pretty sure that we’ll see crazy and unexpected things :D

That could be awesome having in Dreams of Aerie some insights (adventure related, or background material) about the various settlements the circus will head on during its travel. However, this could turn the module in another gorgeous monster-size book! :D

Ambreville wrote:Let me know what you'd like to do. I'm sure folks will appreciate anything you can come up with for Meryath.

To get things soft-started, It could be fun to work on ongoing forum topics to gather more “Locals&Faces” for Glorathon, plus some short adventure pitches for Meryath.

In the long term, after have collected more details on Meryath from Dreams and CC1, eventually a supplementary development phase for this kingdom could be started, with a perimeter to be defined (a cross-reference theme touching all the counties, or maybe getting a vertical treatment for a single county).

My objective is to gather fan material, trying to keep consistency and adherence with the canon, or anyway trying to interfere with that in the minor possible way.
Last edited by Azure Admiral on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Azure Admiral » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 am

Thorf wrote:
This sentiment is precisely why I was so eager to start mapping the other provinces, and indeed why I'm still looking forward to working through them on my Patreon in the months ahead. :D Hopefully the provincial maps will help stimulate more ideas. They should also be perfect for doing demographics! ;)

Yep, and the hex maps possess the ability to inspire and let dream the watcher on a various range of topics (that works this way for me!)

You're putting a terrific effort on the maps, and knowing that there will be a systematic map treatment for all the Caldera Kingdoms and beyond it's a true joy.
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Ambreville » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:53 am

Azure Admiral wrote:
Ambreville wrote:I'm presently working on the adventure Dreams of Aerie, a flying circus traveling the whole of the Great Caldera. So, you should expect it to hit one or two towns each winter as it heads toward Narwan. You can find more about this adventure here and here.

Thanks for the links Bruce. An adventure on a flying circus sounds like a ton of fun!

You think you are on right track when you work on the floor plan, adding background images, and you catch yourself imagining what it would feel like, standing under the saffron glow of a magical streetlight, elbows on the weather-worn railing, and peering down at distant, hazy city lights. A Ferris wheel spins slowly in the background at the haunting tune of a calliope. As people cheer inside the nearby circus, a full moon rises just past the enormous starboard mast. A lone, diffuse howl pierces the clamor. . . or did you just imagine it? ;)

I’m eager to reserve a ticket and come aboard on this marvellous spinning carousel, I’m pretty sure that we’ll see crazy and unexpected things :D

That could be awesome having in Dreams of Aerie some insights (adventure related, or background material) about the various settlements the circus will head on during its travel. However, this could turn the module in another gorgeous monster-size book! :D

The circus travels clockwise round the Great Caldera, reaching Meryath in the dead of winter. It is intended to stop at towns and villages along the way, offering opportunities for short adventures on the ground. . . or longer ones on board. Once it is underway, there is no stopping or getting off, however much you might wish to shun the hidden, darker sides of the Greatest Show on Calidar. And yes, the way details are stacking up, it promises to be a sizable adventure.

Azure Admiral wrote:
Ambreville wrote:Let me know what you'd like to do. I'm sure folks will appreciate anything you can come up with for Meryath.

To get things soft-started, It could be fun to work on ongoing forum topics to gather more “Locals&Faces” for Glorathon, plus some short adventure pitches for Meryath.

In the long term, after have collected more details on Meryath from Dreams and CC1, eventually a supplementary development phase for this kingdom could be started, with a perimeter to be defined (a cross-reference theme touching all the counties, or maybe getting a vertical treatment for a single county).

My objective is to gather fan material, trying to keep consistency and adherence with the canon, or anyway trying to interfere with that in the minor possible way.

That's great! It would certainly help entertain readers and gamers alike.
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Azure Admiral » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:01 am

Ambreville wrote: a full moon rises just past the enormous starboard mast. A lone, diffuse howl pierces the clamor. . . or did you just imagine it? ;)

Geez, I think that along my circus ticket, I’ll buy a new silver sword before sailing off.
Just in case….

Ambreville wrote:.. Once it is underway, there is no stopping or getting off, however much you might wish to shun the hidden, darker sides of the Greatest Show on Calidar.

I could presume that some circus visitor goes mysteriously missing during travel from time to time. Nobody noticed this?

Suddenly, I feel somehow icy creeps along the spine… But that must be the cold wind aboard, for sure :o
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Ambreville » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Azure Admiral wrote:
Ambreville wrote:.. Once it is underway, there is no stopping or getting off, however much you might wish to shun the hidden, darker sides of the Greatest Show on Calidar.

I could presume that some circus visitor goes mysteriously missing during travel from time to time. Nobody noticed this?
Suddenly, I feel somehow icy creeps along the spine… But that must be the cold wind aboard, for sure :o

You got the right idea. Just as a note, this isn't a werewolf-centric adventure. . . not remotely. Nonetheless, there are evil things happening in the dark alleys of the aeries and in the less visited corners below deck, for something strange and terrifying dwells there. :evil:
Ambreville
World Soul

Return to Calidar