Calidar conversion guide

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Calidar conversion guide

Postby Korro Zal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:11 am

On page 10 of Beyond the Skies we have an explanation of how to convert Calidar to other game systems. Under the section regarding ability scores, seven attributes are listed; these follow the traditional six scores of BECMI but Dexterity seems to be split into Agility (AC bonus, initiative) and Manual Dexterity (missile weapons, lock-picking, etc). Furthermore, the pre-generated characters of Skies of Fury have separate Agility and Dexterity scores; in some cases, there is a large gap between the two values. With the exception of Calidar's unique divine follower rules, this seems to be the only place where the characters break with the standard BECMI system.

I'm curious as to why this was done...is it because ship piloting is intended to rely upon Dexterity checks which, coupled with the greater emphasis on artillery and missile fire in aerial combat, made splitting the stat in two necessary because it would be overused otherwise? If one were to run Calidar with BECMI mechanics (or something similar), would splitting Dexterity in this fashion be advisible?
Korro Zal
Orc

Re: Calidar conversion guide

Postby Ambreville » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Korro Zal wrote:On page 10 of Beyond the Skies we have an explanation of how to convert Calidar to other game systems. Under the section regarding ability scores, seven attributes are listed; these follow the traditional six scores of BECMI but Dexterity seems to be split into Agility (AC bonus, initiative) and Manual Dexterity (missile weapons, lock-picking, etc). Furthermore, the pre-generated characters of Skies of Fury have separate Agility and Dexterity scores; in some cases, there is a large gap between the two values. With the exception of Calidar's unique divine follower rules, this seems to be the only place where the characters break with the standard BECMI system.

I'm curious as to why this was done...is it because ship piloting is intended to rely upon Dexterity checks which, coupled with the greater emphasis on artillery and missile fire in aerial combat, made splitting the stat in two necessary because it would be overused otherwise? If one were to run Calidar with BECMI mechanics (or something similar), would splitting Dexterity in this fashion be advisible?

The split Dex and Agility is a suggestion, as manual dexterity is just not the same as body agility. This made sense for the reasons you brought up and for rogues in general. If you use BECMI rules, well then, use BECMI rules. You can average the two scores, or pick the one you feel best matches the way you play. Calidar isn't using the BECMI game mechanics specifically. It offers a generic system to express game stats, which ought to be approx. compatible with most RPGs. My hand-eye coordination sucks this morning. I'm going back to my coffee cup... ;)
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Korro Zal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. By the way, when you ran Calidar convention games, did you ever have a skyship battle? How would a pilot's skill (using Dexterity, I assume) affect the course of the battle? I'm trying to get a sense of how to adjucate this, since skyship battles are iconic to the setting. BECMI rules references (which is what I assume you use) are fine.
Korro Zal
Orc

Postby Ambreville » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Korro Zal wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. By the way, when you ran Calidar convention games, did you ever have a skyship battle? How would a pilot's skill (using Dexterity, I assume) affect the course of the battle? I'm trying to get a sense of how to adjucate this, since skyship battles are iconic to the setting. BECMI rules references (which is what I assume you use) are fine.

I think you're seeing into this topic way more than is needed. Though piloting skills are useful, as well as artillery skills and so on, there's a point where general seamanship/airmanship (especially for wind-powered vessels), crew experience, ship stats, wind direction, and story-telling will have just as much an impact on the course of a battle. You're not flying a WWII fighter plane here. It all depends on your gaming style--anywhere from wargame-minded to plot-minded adjudication, with D&D-style dice-rolling somewhere in the middle. There's a lot of gray in between.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Return to Calidar