[map] Emirate of Ad-Dhimah

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.

[map] Emirate of Ad-Dhimah

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:17 pm

See this page to download the map: Emirate of Ad-Dhimah Hex Map (Patreon)

The map is part of the Thorfinn Tait Cartography Patreon program and is free to download for personal use. If you like the map and want to support the program, or if you want higher resolution versions of the maps it produces, you can see details of how to do that on Thorf's Patreon page.

In the meantime, what do you think of the Emirate of Ad-Dhimah? Is this something you think you will use in your own Calidar game?
Last edited by Thorf on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Added image. —Thorf
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [map] Emirate of Ad-Dhimah

Postby Thorf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks very much for posting this, David. :)

I'm currently working on the other maps in this series, and I'll eventually combine them all into a poster map showing the whole of Narwan in hex format. The second map in the series should be published within the next week, I hope.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Big Mac » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:11 am

Thorf wrote:Thanks very much for posting this, David. :)

I'm currently working on the other maps in this series, and I'll eventually combine them all into a poster map showing the whole of Narwan in hex format. The second map in the series should be published within the next week, I hope.

One week seems to be faster than the gap between this map and the last map. Are some of these maps faster to make than others?

I remember you showing us some cool stuff about distorting the projections with G.Projector and changing between small scale and large scale. (I still get mixed up about which one is the zoomed in version. :oops: ) Are there some parts of Calidar that are going to end up having maps that look pretty much identical to the others (when you have fixed them up) but which are going to involve a lot more behind the scenes trickery?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Thorf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:37 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thorf wrote:Thanks very much for posting this, David. :)

One week seems to be faster than the gap between this map and the last map. Are some of these maps faster to make than others?

Not really. They all take quite a bit of time to set up properly. But I often work ahead, for example I did most of the rivers for western Narwan when I did the first map, so I only had a few more to draw in on the second map.

I had hoped to occasionally be able to post two maps in one month, but at the moment this seems like a bit of a pipe dream. I may yet manage it, but it won't be a regular occurrence at the moment.

I remember you showing us some cool stuff about distorting the projections with G.Projector and changing between small scale and large scale. (I still get mixed up about which one is the zoomed in version. :oops: ) Are there some parts of Calidar that are going to end up having maps that look pretty much identical to the others (when you have fixed them up) but which are going to involve a lot more behind the scenes trickery?

Everyone gets confused with small and large scale. I think I have it down, finally, but it has taken years. ;) Large scale is zoomed in, so it shows everything big, while small scale is zoomed out, so everything appears small. The zoom in and zoom out terminology is far more familiar to us these days.

Projections are very much a behind the scenes tool, yes. When used properly, they should be nearly invisible, or at least hidden in plain sight. The trick is simply to pick an appropriate one for each map you work on — which by the way is something I'm still learning. I hope my choices so far have been good ones.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:48 am

I tried to add the following image to this thread. Can anyone see it?

http://calidar.thorfmaps.com/images/ad-dhimah-1b-sm.jpg

Edit: The link works for me, but for some reason I can't understand it's not displaying for me in this thread.

Edit 2: Tried putting it on my Mystara site, and that's not working either. Despite it working fine with all the existing images in my Geographical Mapping subforum.

http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/images/ad-dhimah-1b-sm.jpg
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Sturm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 am

I see the link but not the image, it is 300 px or less? that's is the maximum of the forum, IIRC.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 am

Sturm wrote:I see the link but not the image, it is 300 px or less? that's is the maximum of the forum, IIRC.

I thought it was 600 pixels?

Regardless, in the past if the image is breaking the rules it refuses to post. These are being accepted, but for whatever reason are just not appearing here. I have no idea what's going on here.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Sturm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 am

Ah yes 600. Only thing I know yesterday I posted a png and it took it, maybe you could try to change format, in case there is something with the jpg?
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 am

The plot thickens... They display fine when I view this thread on my iPhone.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Thorf wrote:I tried to add the following image to this thread. Can anyone see it?

http://calidar.thorfmaps.com/images/ad-dhimah-1b-sm.jpg

Edit: The link works for me, but for some reason I can't understand it's not displaying for me in this thread.

Edit 2: Tried putting it on my Mystara site, and that's not working either. Despite it working fine with all the existing images in my Geographical Mapping subforum.

http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/images/ad-dhimah-1b-sm.jpg

It looks fine to me, but I can't get the map to "pull" onto The Piazza:

I did a test onto Facebook and the map pulls there just fine.

I might bump this issue upstairs, as I am not sure why this is happening.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Thorf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Big Mac wrote:It looks fine to me, but I can't get the map to "pull" onto The Piazza:

I did a test onto Facebook and the map pulls there just fine.

I might bump this issue upstairs, as I am not sure why this is happening.

So can you see the maps, David?

Even stranger, I tried starting a new thread, and it's working fine there. It might be easiest to abandon this thread, but I've never seen behaviour like this from phpBB before. Very strange indeed!
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:17 pm

I see it on my Spelljammerphone (using Chrome) but not on my laptop (using Firefox).
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:42 pm

FWIW, I see the image on all devices.
GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Azure Admiral » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:11 pm

agathokles wrote:FWIW, I see the image on all devices.
GP

Me too.
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Morfie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:29 am

I can see both images and links on my desktop, using Firefox.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Sturm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 am

Indeed I see them in Firefox but not in Chrome...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby AllanP » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:22 am

Re the non-display of map images...

is this a Chrome issue?
Using Chrome (my default browser) on my desktop PC I can't see the image, just the link.

However, copy-pasting the topic URL into MS Edge, the map(s) display just fine...
pasting the topic link in Firefox also results in the maps being displayed

viewing the topic in Chrome on my Android Smartphone - the maps are displayed!

So I'd say it;s a problem with the desktop version of Chrome?

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress
AllanP
Fire Giant

Postby AllanP » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:53 am

Or maybe a phpBB problem which doesn't generate the correctly formatted code that Chrome desktop expects?
I've seen in the past that IE and FF don't always have the same rigour in interpreting the BBCode that's presented to them.

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress
AllanP
Fire Giant

Return to Calidar