Calidar : Campaign notes

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Moderator: Thorf

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Calidar : Campaign notes

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:39 pm

This fall I will be DMing a Calidar campaign. The rule set will be 5E D&D.

The Concept:
A traveling Circus roams the Kingdom of Meryath on the Palatine Island. Members of the circus are an extended family of humains. You can view them as gypsies. The family was cursed a long time ago. At adolescence the children are afflicted by a lycanthropy curse. Each child has a different strain of lycanthropy. Over the years the gypsies have developed magical tattoos that help them control the transformation but the method is not perfect. Involontary transformations can happen in situations of extreme stress.

The origine of the curse has been lost in time. Oral tradition is vague and several stories about the origine compete with each other. The gypsies have kept a written account of their peregrinations since the curse but tome 1-3 were lost decades ago in a time of crisis.

Arc Story :
The characters start at level 3 with their career path already selected. They each have a role in the circus and a lycanthropy template applied to their characters. Over the course of adventures characters will find clues as to the were abouts of the first three tomes. It is believed that the tomes contain the origine of the curse, the reasons it was cast and who did it. Their mission is to find the tomes, break the curse and free the gypsies.

Style :
The campaign will mostly be about urbain adventures with very few wilderness and dungeon encounters. It will be about breaking & entering wizards towers, librairies and other locations they may contain the Tomes. All this without raising the suspicion of the authorities.

Suggestions are welcomed ! ;)

Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : D&D5E Home-brewing a mini setting
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Calidar : Campaign notes

Post by Sturm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 am

Interesting ideas, you could have them meet/explore the Aerie, which is a flying circus, if you have it (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/227 ... s-of-Aerie).
Obviously the Aerie would be a terrible competitor for a ground circus, but the latter may have the advantage of being cheaper. In this case maybe minions of the Aerie could threaten the PCs or even sabotage/stole something from them.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Great suggestions. I bought the bundle and it includes the Aerie. Haven't read it yet but looking at the drawings I recalled a campaign idea I had 20+ years ago about a cursed gypsie circus. I never presented it to my players until the new group I met in November 2017. They really loved the idea and I'm confident they can roleplay it correctly.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm

So post brief summaries after each session, always useful to hear about a Calidar campaign, as I had not the chance to begin one yet.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Sturm wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm
So post brief summaries after each session, always useful to hear about a Calidar campaign, as I had not the chance to begin one yet.
I will in September when the campaign begins. Until then I'll try to post updates of character creation and other stuff I come up with.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 am

Great, useful as well!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Sturm wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 am
Great, useful as well!
For the most part I will be creating homemade adventures but urban modules like «L2 Assassin's Knot» could come in handy once modified for the setting.

Return to “Calidar”