[WEG] D6 Star Wars + MiniSix?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

[WEG] D6 Star Wars + MiniSix?

Postby Havard » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 pm

Anyone here familiar with MiniSix RPG from AndiPaladin Games? You can get a free PDF of the barebones edition from RPGnow. MiniSix is baed on WEG's D6, but has a few modifications that I really like. If I am ever getting back to Star Wars D6 (which some of my players have expressed an interest in), I would probably incorporate some of those rules with WEG's Star Wars RPG.

Has anyone tried something like this?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [WEG] D6 Star Wars + MiniSix?

Postby Falconer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:42 pm

I just plan to use the First Edition WEG rules. It’s lite and captures the flavor I want perfectly. I will try to avoid other editions and iterations of the d6 rules just so as not to crowd my head with conflicting rules (I don’t do well with that). Not to mention that compatibility with supplements makes it a no-brainer. I can always just houserule (or make on-the-fly rulings) based on what makes sense to me. But if you (or someone) can articulate why it would be worthwhile checking this out instead, I’m open to hearing it!
Falconer
Troll

Postby Havard » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Falconer wrote:I just plan to use the First Edition WEG rules. It’s lite and captures the flavor I want perfectly. I will try to avoid other editions and iterations of the d6 rules just so as not to crowd my head with conflicting rules (I don’t do well with that). Not to mention that compatibility with supplements makes it a no-brainer. I can always just houserule (or make on-the-fly rulings) based on what makes sense to me. But if you (or someone) can articulate why it would be worthwhile checking this out instead, I’m open to hearing it!

I agree that some of the things that were added in the 2nd Edition and R&E just added unnecessary complexity. I am probably most likely to mix and match a bit between all three versions.

The one thing I really like about MiniSix is that defenses are not rolled, they are static.

I forget, was the Wild Die part of Star Wars 1st edition? MiniSix includes the Wild Die, but not complications/fumble.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Falconer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:21 pm

There is no wild die in 1st edition, no. Should be easy to house rule, though, if it’s wanted. In fact, it feels like something that originated as a house rule and later became official. I have a similar house rule in my AD&D games.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Falconer wrote:There is no wild die in 1st edition, no. Should be easy to house rule, though, if it’s wanted. In fact, it feels like something that originated as a house rule and later became official. I have a similar house rule in my AD&D games.
How does the wild die work?
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:53 pm

Angelika Tatsu wrote:
Falconer wrote:There is no wild die in 1st edition, no. Should be easy to house rule, though, if it’s wanted. In fact, it feels like something that originated as a house rule and later became official. I have a similar house rule in my AD&D games.
How does the wild die work?

Okay, I am writing from memory here, but I think that in D6 Star Wars 2nd Edition it went like this:
One of the dice you roll should have a different color to identify it as the Wild Die. If you only roll one die, that is going to be the Wild Die. The wild die will have different results if these numbers show up:
6: This means you add 6 to your total and roll the die again for an added bonus. You can keep rolling 6s if more than one turns up.
1: This means one of two things: a) if the roll is a failure, then the failure becomes a critical failure. OR b) if the attempted action is still successful, the 1 means that there has been a Complication. The action is still successful, but something the character did not intend also happens. The GM can come up with all sorts of ideas here.

I think MiniSix has a variant of this rule that is the same for 6's, but nothing special happens if you roll a 1.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am

The best thing about including a Wild Die rule is that you no longer have situations where tasks are absolutely impossible.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Havard wrote:Okay, I am writing from memory here, but I think that in D6 Star Wars 2nd Edition it went like this:
<snip>
Ah yes, I vaguely remember now. My interest in WEG Star Wars is even more piqued...going to try to get it back in the collection either this month or next.
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Big Mac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Falconer wrote:I will try to avoid other editions and iterations of the d6 rules just so as not to crowd my head with conflicting rules (I don’t do well with that).

I can relate to that.

I started out with 2nd Edition, but got some 1st Edition stuff cheap and the difference in order of the racial limit and racial bonus confused me. I was also highly reluctant to move to 3rd Edition, but did eventually come around. I then had a massive issue with unlearning mathematics and replacing that with alternative mathematics.

There are people out there who really get excited at new ways to generate random results. I'm not one of them, but I can see the appeal. I just prefer the books that get past the mathematical stuff and go onto give us details of the world.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:I started out with 2nd Edition, but got some 1st Edition stuff cheap and the difference in order of the racial limit and racial bonus confused me. I was also highly reluctant to move to 3rd Edition, but did eventually come around. I then had a massive issue with unlearning mathematics and replacing that with alternative mathematics.

There are people out there who really get excited at new ways to generate random results. I'm not one of them, but I can see the appeal. I just prefer the books that get past the mathematical stuff and go onto give us details of the world.

In Star Wars? The differences between editions are minimal.

Having learned 50+ rulesets, I have no problems making comparisons between different editions and combing rules from different editions to create the (subjectively) optimal combinations for my group.

Heck, if we had written down all the house rules we created for AD&D 2nd Edition, we would have had a 150 page compendium, I am sure.

The reason I recommend borrowing elements from MiniSix is because it will most likely speed up your games and reduce the number of dice rolls, which seems to be the main criticism against D6.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Havard wrote:Heck, if we had written down all the house rules we created for AD&D 2nd Edition, we would have had a 150 page compendium, I am sure.

Dooooo iiiiiiiit! :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:05 am

This thread reminds me that Rpg.net had a post that I really liked for some Mini Six + Star Wars action. One can read it here: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?669949-Necro-Mini-Six-Star-Wars-Elegant-rules-for-a-more-civilized-age

One of the posts that I really liked from that was someone had placed a Stock Opponents Table for Mini Six. Oh? The better news! I copied that table and made a Stock Opponents table document you can use here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3m5GuGWSMIBeXdKODlPVnpqOU0. Included in the text are some sample stock opponents made with the table.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Troll

Postby Havard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Boddynock wrote:One of the posts that I really liked from that was someone had placed a Stock Opponents Table for Mini Six. Oh? The better news! I copied that table and made a Stock Opponents table document you can use here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3m5GuGWSMIBeXdKODlPVnpqOU0. Included in the text are some sample stock opponents made with the table.

Nice!

Thanks for sharing this document, Boddynock!

I like that you have incorporated the Death Troopers from Rogue One as well as various types from the original trilogy :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Boddynock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:07 am

I like that you have incorporated the Death Troopers from Rogue One as well as various types from the original trilogy :)

Yeah! The only one I didn't really have a movie counterpart was for Green level mooks, so I made up the Imperial Militia. I also threw in the 501st - those fans who do the costumes, which he had some show up for our May the 4th library event.

You can also see my blog entry at the Embassy where I include stats for fantasy creatures. Just in case any prospective GM's wanted Orcs and Ogres to fight Stormtroopers. http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/2017/06/mini-six-stock-opponent-table.html
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Troll

Return to Star Wars