[5E SW] Breaking Down Technology

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Re: [5E SW] Breaking Down Technology

Postby enderxenocide0 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 pm

I don't mean to suggest that all shields work that way, but it's a common enough trope that some shields would likely work that way. The concept of "shielding" in general can apply to a number of different scenarios that are each represented differently in D&D. Armor is an AC calculation, while a physical or magical shield increases your AC, while regenerating health directly affects HP, while selective damage immunities are racial or monster traits. One size does not fit all.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby enderxenocide0 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Returning to the discussion on grenades and similar explosives, I was looking through 5E spells and found this mechanic in the Ice Knife spell from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion:

Elemental Evil Player's Companion wrote:You create a shard of ice and fling it at one creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 piercing damage. Hit or miss, the shard then explodes. The target and each creature within 5 feet of the point where the ice exploded must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 cold damage.

This explicitly requires an attack roll within the spell's range for initial damage against a single target, and then says that even on a miss the target and nearby creatures make a saving throw for additional damage. Things like range, burst radius, and save for none/half are all adjustable in design. I feel less wary about using this as a method for ranged explosives now that I notice there's an official printing of such an analogous rule. Thoughts?

ADDENDUM: For that matter, the Catapult spell from the same supplement reads:

Elemental Evil Player's Companion wrote:Choose one object weighing 1 to 5 pounds within range that isn’t being worn or carried. The object flies in a straight line up to 90 feet in a direction you choose before falling to the ground, stopping early if it impacts against a solid surface. If the object would strike a creature, that creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the object strikes the target and stops moving. In either case, both the object and the creature or solid surface take 3d8 bludgeoning damage.

This strikes me as a way to represent a rocket launcher, since it is an object that (usually) travels in a straight line before striking a target. I'm not including launchers with electronic guidance systems or anything of that nature. Like, don't expect this to cover the FGM-148 Javelin.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby enderxenocide0 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Here's my current draft of explosives:

EXPLOSIVES
All explosives use the same basic rules with alterations for special explosives. As an action, make a ranged weapon attack against a target. On a hit, the target takes an initial amount of damage and the explosive then detonates. The target and each creature within the blast radius must make a saving throw, taking a secondary amount of damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Grenades. On a miss, the grenade explodes in the same space as the target, but does not deal initial damage.

Rockets. On a miss, the missile flies in a straight line to the extent of its long range before exploding, detonating early if it impacts against a solid surface. Compare your attack roll against each creature along the line, in order, until one hits or the missile reaches the end of its range.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby Grumpkin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 pm

What kind of impact damage are you thinking? A grenade wouldn't do much honestly...a rocket...maybe.
Grumpkin
Goblin

Postby enderxenocide0 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Grumpkin wrote:What kind of impact damage are you thinking? A grenade wouldn't do much honestly...a rocket...maybe.

Grenades would probably be easily obtainable in a game, but still an expendable resource, so I'd probably stat them using Ice Knife (1st level spell slot) damage: 1d10 initial hit damage, 2d6 area damage (but Dex for half instead of none). Rockets... relatively similar initial damage (maybe bump it to 1d12) and double the area damage to 4d6?
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Previous

Return to Star Wars