[The Last Jedi] RPG talk about the movie (Spoilers)

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Corsair14
Orc

Re: [The Last Jedi] RPG talk about the movie (Spoilers)

Post by Corsair14 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Its actually the whole reason the hyperspace kamikaze thing couldn't happen and hasn't happened in the past. You cant jump through a gravity well and a ship of that size had a really large gravity well. Its why Han made such a big deal of it in the first movie when he was calculating the jump so they wouldn't end up in the middle of a sun.

Of course that whole scene was poor writing at its worst. Why have literally thousands of fighters in several hundred squadrons and not use them? Oh because they will leave the cover of their own guns? When, since the evolution of naval air warfare began, has this ever been a thing? Fighters are there to extend the reach of their accompanying fleet not hide under its guns.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 am

Havard wrote:
shesheyan wrote: It only applies if you do a Force Awakens era campaign. Hyperspace tracking is a tech thing. I'm sure an anti-tracking device will be created to counter it.
However in the movie it was clearly a tech thing and I believe it was a callback to Rogue One?
-Havard
Actually, remember the scene in Star Wars (aka: A New Hope) where the Falcon has just escaped from the Death Star, and Tarkin asks "You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship?"?

And then this exchange:
Princess Leia:
They let us go. It was the only reason for the ease of our escape.

Han Solo:
Easy? You call that easy?

Princess Leia:
They're tracking us.

Han Solo:
Not this ship, sister.
So we see that there WAS a form of "tracking through hyperspace" decades before The Last Jedi - and while that used a beacon transmitting a signal through hyperspace, it is not unreasonable to expect that continued development would enable tracking of a specific ship's drive emissions instead of a beacon's signal.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Corsair14
Orc

Post by Corsair14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:40 pm

The difference was likely the beacon didn't work until they came out of hyperspace, thus why it was awhile until the Death Star popped out of hyper on the other side of Yavin.

Not having active tracking through hyper is easily explained by having the plans destroyed in Rogue One delayed research or even research was forgotten until years later when the 1st Order resumed study on it.

I think my biggest aggravation started back in the prequals, why do they act like Hypserspace is some instantaneous travel method? It takes weeks and weeks to get from the outer rim on the east side of the galaxy to the west side. It took a couple days in ANH for them to get from Tattoine to Alderann which they tried to do some sort of montage/time passing activity to show it. Fett had time to analyze the course of the Falcon in Empire and beat Han to Bespin since the Falcon was using its slow back up hyperdrive. The prequals come around and ships are able to get from one end of the galaxy to the Core Worlds in the time it takes to have a sword fight. TFA had the Falcon not only flying into a gravity well but precise calculations into a flipping atmosphere totally destroying what the limitations of light speed actually were. Cruising back and forth in a matter of hours to Canto Bight in a couple short hours was stupid unless it was coincidentally the next system over which I doubt. Realistically in actual canon all of the systems in the movie had to be adjacent for any of it to work.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 am

Corsair14 wrote:The difference was likely the beacon didn't work until they came out of hyperspace, thus why it was awhile until the Death Star popped out of hyper on the other side of Yavin.

Not having active tracking through hyper is easily explained by having the plans destroyed in Rogue One delayed research or even research was forgotten until years later when the 1st Order resumed study on it.

I think my biggest aggravation started back in the prequals, why do they act like Hypserspace is some instantaneous travel method? It takes weeks and weeks to get from the outer rim on the east side of the galaxy to the west side. It took a couple days in ANH for them to get from Tattoine to Alderann which they tried to do some sort of montage/time passing activity to show it. Fett had time to analyze the course of the Falcon in Empire and beat Han to Bespin since the Falcon was using its slow back up hyperdrive. The prequals come around and ships are able to get from one end of the galaxy to the Core Worlds in the time it takes to have a sword fight. TFA had the Falcon not only flying into a gravity well but precise calculations into a flipping atmosphere totally destroying what the limitations of light speed actually were. Cruising back and forth in a matter of hours to Canto Bight in a couple short hours was stupid unless it was coincidentally the next system over which I doubt. Realistically in actual canon all of the systems in the movie had to be adjacent for any of it to work.
If it did require a couple days in ANH (an unproven assertion, but I'll work with it provisionally), then the Falcon is capable of covering 25,000 ly/day, since the canon locations of ANH's worlds were established in Essential Atlas, and along marked jump lanes, it's around 50k from Tatooine to Alderaan.

As far as precise calculations go, Anakin was (per the Clone Wars series) able to calculate a jump to within meters, so unless we know the precise distance a grav well will end a jump, Han's jump is possible if quite difficult.

Return to “Star Wars”